Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I need your help
View Poll Results: Should my friend start playing with the proper rules?
yes 76 97.44%
no 2 2.56%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 12 May 2008, 19:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default I need your help

Ok so here's the deal

I have a friend who I recently met who is the only opponent nearby at the moment

He uses what he calls "common sense" to change the rules (Always in his favour might I add), for example, he refuses to let me remove models from the whole squad when he causes wounds with blast weapons, despite this being explained in the rules he insists that "how can he be killed, he wasn't in the explosion, I won't allow it" in this case I tried to be nice and let him do it as long as where the the blast gets placed is randomised, to this he flatly refused.

Another thing he has done is insist he is allowed to take 5 leman russes and a baneblade in a single army, I said "Ok, as long as you let me take a lot of fliers in my army," he said "Ok, as long as we can pretend we have fliers when we don't have the models," in additon to the rules he is already breaking! What threw me was that he thought it "all makes sense,"

In addition to all this he says that units that fleet of foot can't assault and that the jetpacks rule doesn't make sense. (at which point I nearly strangled him)

Also he constantly insists on being able to break the FOC and take 4 heavy support and use Tau and IG when I can just use Tau

Anyway he mentioned earlier that if I got enough people to agree with me he might start playing properly so if you do agree I urge you to vote

But if that doesn't work what can I do because he is the only friend I have who plays 40k and lives in the same town

help
Old 12 May 2008, 19:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: I need your help

While you can't force him to play, you don't have to play him. Tell him either you play by the rules, or you don't play.
Old 12 May 2008, 19:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Obviously he should play by the rules. There is nothing wrong with changing some rules around as long as all the players agree and they are applied universally, but changing rules just to give yourself an unfair advantage is ridiculous and very immature. How old is this kid, six? Cause he is sure acting like a little kid.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Old 12 May 2008, 19:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

The major problem is that he is the only opponent I can play in my immediate area but he has plenty of friends he can play against

That is why it is so vital that I convince him to play the rules because the way he plays them at the minute it is incredibly hard for me to get a good game because it gives his army advantages it shouldn't have

and he is 14 by the way
Old 12 May 2008, 19:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

++Grasp the roots of heresy and rip them from the ground, so that the tree may not grow tall and strong. Heresy is the root of Damnation, and Damnation is the trunk the the branches of death++

++Inquisitor Khencov++

Seriously, get rid of his bad habits as soon as possible. I wouldn't say that not allying armies in small battles is bad (I do it all the time) as long as he beys the FOC.

Everything else must go.

Though for the day: A moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy: never forgive, never forget.

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Old 12 May 2008, 19:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Unfortunately he is incredibly stubborn and he got annoyed when I brought this up earlier but the answer was an obvious no

Thing is I don't have many friends and I really don't want to lose one so I'm going to have to be very careful here
Old 12 May 2008, 19:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Just tell him that you want to try playing a game completely by the book.

And you should really branch out and look for more 40K players that follow the rules, don't just stick to one guy cause you think there is nobody else in your area you can game with. Theres 40K players everywhere, you just have to look.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Old 12 May 2008, 19:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

If I can't convince him I guess I'll have to invite over some friends I have who live in the next town, not that convenient but it'll have to do I suppose
Old 12 May 2008, 19:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

How about you just play with him by his rules, but just gently ease him into yours, so say 'Hey, you're been using your pennies as Gargoyles for weeks, why don't you buy some?', and gradually get him into the right swing.

If he doesn't, and he won't even listen to you telling him that he's ruining it, then he's possibly not the kind of person you want as a friend.

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Old 12 May 2008, 19:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quite frankly, common sense is all well and good, but simply tell him that the Codices were designed with the rules in mind, so the game is balanced as it is.

If you can't convince him, don't play with him. One of my friends first games was against a player like that, and we all have a grudge against this player now,for seperate reasons of course.

Though I expect that I'll see a player like that soon, he reckons that Incubi should be able to Fleet.

http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk1
Closed Thread