Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Format for Sets
Old 07 May 2008, 22:32   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default New Format for Sets

Given the growing trend of kits coming in sets of 10 models for 12 instead of the usual 10+ (depending upon the army) for 18, do you guys think this is a better way to do the kits (stealth price hike aside)?

Also what do you think of the quality of the kits themselves?

I personally think the models themselves are acceptable generally (not great as a recent set of Dire Wolves, the seam between the body and the heads was way too big for my tastes), although what I am finding is that the spares bits in the kits themselves severely wanting (I'm used to having lots of stuff left over, like special weapons, heads etc), and although this may only be limited to fantasy kits, I do hope the latest batch of GW 40k plastics don't follow suit and become ultra skinny in terms of bitz content.
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2008, 22:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: New Format for Sets

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Strange Master (FT)
Given the growing trend of kits coming in sets of 10 models for 12 instead of the usual 10+ (depending upon the army) for 18, do you guys think this is a better way to do the kits (stealth price hike aside)?

Also what do you think of the quality of the kits themselves?

I personally think the models themselves are acceptable generally (not great as a recent set of Dire Wolves, the seam between the body and the heads was way too big for my tastes), although what I am finding is that the spares bits in the kits themselves severely wanting (I'm used to having lots of stuff left over, like special weapons, heads etc), and although this may only be limited to fantasy kits, I do hope the latest batch of GW 40k plastics don't follow suit and become ultra skinny in terms of bitz content.
The Daemon spearhead box was extremely limited in bits. :-\

Maybe this is an upcoming trend.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2008, 22:43   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

I do think this is better - ignoring the price hike. Its easier to shell out the lower amount, and its not such a massive set of models to work on instantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2008, 02:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I recognize that having a plastic box option in the 25-30 dollar (Canadian) range is a good idea. I mean at 45 dollars for a basic troops box you're getting a bit out of that "casual buy" range where someone will pick up a box of models just because they happened to be in the store. I'm not a fan of the stealth price hikes involved in this though, and I also think that the larger 20 man boxes that often get released as splash releases should be kept available through Mail Order or something.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2008, 04:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I do like the smaller sets for the impact on the wallet, making a casual buy a little easier, but at the same time, I still like getting extra bits for flavor and/or conversions. On a separate note, I was wondering if GW would ever maybe emulate PP by having a bare bones quick start for people wanting to start an army, even beyond the battalions. As such, I was thinking of something that is competitive with each other, that is made up of entirely useful things for players, such as one crisis suit commander and two boxes of fire warriors, for something cheaper than retail. This way, a new player can get what they need to start any new army, and can add on to it as they want. The only problem I saw was making the boxes comparable in price (and hopefully cost) as necrons blow this out of the water with a bare minimum of near 500 pts for this.
auxiliary priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2008, 13:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I don't really care about the number of models as long as GW math is not involved, and I have the bits to field what ever weapon config the unit is allowed.

By GW math I mean a unit might be able to field up to 20 models, but GW would sell a box set with 16 models. This meant that if you wanted to have a full squad, then you had to buy another full box, and have 12 extra models.

So while it was cheaper per model in the old price range, you were still paying more than you are now. Now GW does not have to only sell in whole unit box sets, but make the number of models in a box set divisible by the number of models in a unit. 20 per unit sell 10 per box. And give me the weapon options.
JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2008, 13:16   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Luckily for me I am not starting anymore armies, so I am so not affected.

But that saying, I prefer more men in a box than a whole lot of bitz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2008, 13:50   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Dunno - the new skeletons, for example. 12 IIRC, and you get 10 models. Those models all have the bits for HW, Shields and Spears, including 2 Command sets IIRC.

You get an instant two ranks for either a new unit with command, or can instantly add two ranks to an existing unit. And at 12, I can afford to impulsive buy, like I did with my GG (which I still havn't looked at yet.....)

For once, I don't mind the price raise in this format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2008, 00:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

They have their ups and downs. Under some circumstances, it's more expensive. However, smaller amounts of men helps with smaller expansions. For example, I'd like only about 8 more Gaunts for my Tyranids, but the current box supplies a much larger increase for a greater price.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2008, 00:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

I do not like getting less troops in boxes. I mean the battleforces should get you a start for an army at a savings. I mean it depends on the price per model really. I want all of the specail and heavy weapons in a box set and not having to buy blisters. I mean meltaguns flamers and plasma in a minimum. I mean getting two specail weapons and choices. Also inflation is occurring so the prices go up.