Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

40K game COD4/Battlefront style
Old 07 May 2008, 17:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default 40K game COD4/Battlefront style

Does anyone else think it'd be cool if they made a 40k 360 game, that was like COD4, ie. you're a space marine or something and you follow a campaign, etc. ? I know they already have Fire Warrior but that was rather poor in the end...
Old 07 May 2008, 18:09   #2 (permalink)
Vxx
Shas'Saal

Default Re: 40K game COD4/Battlefront style

It would be cool especially if you could have a choice between the different races.
Old 07 May 2008, 18:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

There's at least one mod team working on a 40k version of one of the major shooters. It'll be for PCs and not consoles though.
Arschbombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2008, 19:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I remember seeing a mod awhile back where it was Tau Firewarriors VS Space Marines... they replaced the vehicles with rhinos etc. Looked pretty cool, don't know what happened to it.

I think a 40k version of PlanetSide would be better.

Aose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2008, 19:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It's Battlefield 40k for Battlefield 1942, 2 and 2142. The mod has stopped development due to a shortage of coders and artists.
Arschbombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2008, 22:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Siruk

I agree it would be interesting, but what i would really like to see is a 40k game produced by koei.

Either played like their dynasty warriors series, where your one of the super powerful HQ's or monstrous creatures one of the races, i would love to be an ork warboss or a carnifex stomping through units of guardsmen.

Or their style, like kessen and bladestorm, where your still the HQ, but you can take over lots of individual units(would probably be more limited, not sure where tyranids would come in)

I guess i would prefer this as im more into the Close combat element of 40k, but i guess a merger of the two could produce some excellant results.

Siruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2008, 00:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm not sure if I like the idea or not. I would love to see a 40K FPS (NOT FIRE WARRIOR!!! I love the tau, but seriously...) but I would prefer it stay true to some of the game basics and fluff. However if it did that, then it would make the game somewhat unfair (marine player better then ork player since orks are meant to outnumber marines 5 to 1) or very complicated. (not everyone can run around in terminator armor, carry heavy weapons, drive a landraider but a few people have to)

If there was a way to make the game both fun and similar to the table top 40k universe we all know and love, I would be all for it. If not then it would most likely end up as just another shooter, not the 40K shooter.
cruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2008, 02:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamanda868
Does anyone else think it'd be cool if they made a 40k 360 game
No.

But they might think it were cool if they made a 40K Rainbow Six-clone for the PS3. Much more flexibility in terms of what you can do, weapon selection, your appearance, your gear, etc.

I guess its not as well-suited to the scale of 40K as Battlefield, but then, neither is CoD4 by any stretch of the imagination...

[hr]

A 40K shooter would have to be based around regular humans and humanoids (Tau, maybe Eldar, etc.) Anything else risks introducing dangerous imbalances that would result in ultraskilled 14-year-olds making it impossible for anybody to play effectively as anything but Orks, for example (picked just cos it would bug me.)

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2008, 13:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

I want a game like this soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo badly. I've been addicted to Battlefield 2142 lately, and have been thinking how 'awesomely awesome to the third power' it would be to have a 40k version. I think that if they were to make the races unique (say, making Space Marines way tougher than an Ork Boy, or even giving Space Marines less 'tickers', or 'reinforcement', or whatever), they might have to 'pair' the races up, similar to Warhammer Online.

LGT has a point with the scale, but I think things like that need to slide. Were it true to scale we'd need the entire population of multiple small countries playing at once. Battlefield 2142 has a limit of 64 players which, when they're all packed into one small spot, feels suitably hectic and large-scale. If the game could just add another 12 players to the cap it would feel even larger.

The largest problem with a Battlefield 40,000 (as I've just dubbed it), would be the melee combat. If any of have tried any sort of short ranged combat in a game like Battlefield, you'll know that the charging player either has a super-fast computer and throws a tons of mines on your and/or knifes you, or the defender simply fills him full of lead. I think primarily CC units would need an Oblivion-style of combat; simple attack, defend, and occasional power attack - it would be more than in-depth enough for such a fast-paced game.

Next problem: vehicles. Many race's 'vehicles' are not piloted in the usual sense. A Space Marine doesn't hop into a Dreadnought, and a Gaunt most certainly doesn't pilot a Carnifex (closest Tyranid equivalent to a tank). If any of you have played Battlefront, you'll know of the unlockable units - special soldiers that requirea certain amount of points before they can be used, and hard-capped at 4 units at once. I'd like to see something like this for those special un-piloted vehicle cases, but give them a hard-cap of 1, maybe 2 or 3 on massive maps, make the required points much harder to reach, and give them a "respawn" time, before another player can use one after the previous one dies.

Now, the coolest thing I'd like to see, would be actually unique races; all races' line troops are hardly created equal, and I'd love to see that represented. Space Marines should be extremely tough, perhaps like the 'Juggernaught' mode in the Halo games. To counter this, they could have fewer reinforcements and fewer players on the map at once (like, 24 v 40 instead of 32 v 32), even so much as half of the other team. Tyranids could have much more reinforcements then the other team, and perhaps the Gaunt players would even need to stay near their squad leader equivalents or become disoriented.

Well, I've talked a lot. Guess you can all tell I've thought much of this inbetween battles in 2142. :P
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2008, 14:02   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamanda868
Does anyone else think it'd be cool if they made a 40k 360 game
No.

But they might think it were cool if they made a 40K Rainbow Six-clone for the PS3. Much more flexibility in terms of what you can do, weapon selection, your appearance, your gear, etc.
I hardly think he was meaning 360 only. Its probably the console he has, which is why he said it :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote