Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stupid rules questions
Old 01 May 2008, 10:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler
Default Stupid rules questions

No I'm not retarded, yes I have the rulebook.

Now that that's out of the way :P, I played my first game last weekend, 500 points, my Tau vs. my brother's Chaos. Needless to say I was a little confused as to how to handle some things. The rulebook is pretty clear for the most part, but I have a tendencey to misinterpret things often so I need to ask...sorry if they're either really, really stupid or the answers are obvious.

1. A crisis suit gets charged by a squad of say 7-8 CSM. Only three can make it into base-to-base, the rest maintain coherency. Do all models in the squad get bonus attacks for the charge or only the ones who make base-to-base contact? Also, does my crisis suit get to roll an armor save for each and every attack (minus attacks made with power weapons), even though I felt it was much easier to simply remove the model when faced with 20+ attacks and one wound left. :P

2. The picture of the predator side sponson's line of fire in the rulebook seems to imply that it can fire at units behind it. This didn't come up in our game but would be good to know in the future if they can do that, without having to turn to face the unit.

3. Another thing that came up, in the movement phase my brother would often measure the distance from his troops to mine to see if he could fire at anything. Is this allowed or should any checking for range be done in the shooting phase?

4. I guess my missile pod actually had two shots instead of one...

5. How the hell do I win, lol...I went over there thinking my brother was going to be pissed because I'd wipe him out, but it was quite the opposite. Everything was in his favor it seemed, he made excellent use of terrain and made decent tactical decisions, all while I've got my face buried in the rulebook and playing like a blind, retarded monkey. I do believe the book describes it as a "crushing victory"...in either case I'm glad he's more excited about 40k now, he seems to have livened up quite a bit.

Oh, and do a devilfish's gun drones count as passengers?

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 11:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Stupid rules questions

1) All models get a bonus attack and you can try to save all attacks

2) As the picture shows

3) Should be done after shooting is declared

4) It does

5) Play better?

6) Yes

Seems odd that one such as you has never played...
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 11:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Not sure what you mean by "one such as you"...lol. But yeah...my table wasn't officially "finished (and still isn't) until a couple weeks ago, and I really didn't want to play with unpainted models either, but my brother brought it up and I finally got my army transport foam so I said "screw it".

I might play another game this weekend. I'm hoping it'll finally inspire me to paint again.

Quote:
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Old 01 May 2008, 11:18   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Welcome to 40K, I dont exactly brand myself a rules expert but heres how i interpret these things

Someone else beat me to the answers but heres some more than 1 word answers

1. Kinda a multi part Q so ill just do them in order you ask: a) all units that are either in base to base or within 2" of someone in base to base can fight, so both get the charge bonus attack as theres nothing anywhere that says only base to base guys get it. b) yes you roll the save for each wound seperately (pg 41 bgb)

2. Yes it can fire behind it, thats what the firing arcs are so it can shot there, note the turret also rotates and can shoot behind without moving as well

3. Your not supposed to no, the correct way to do (pg 15-19 BGB) is:
1. Do all movement (no measuring to enemy units)
2. Choose target
3. Measure to see if you can shoot the target, if its not in range he cant shoot at it (technically he cant choose to then shoot something else either) think theres an Imperial Gaurd wargear item that lets you measure then target but not 100% sure
4. Roll hits
5. Roll wounds
6. Roll saves

4, Amn't a tau player so couldnt tell you, but each weapon has a type (heavy assault etc) followed by a number. that number is how many shots you get. So a space marine heavy bolter which is Heavy 3 gets 3 shots

5. Not sure quite waht you expect me to say here, other than lol. But at first everyone get totally rolled a few times by more experienced people, it ahppened to mke first 2-3 gam,es i got anahilated, then i learned how to use my guys better, how to move, what to sjhoot first and my win/loss is now around 50/50 if not a little higher.
atherus shadowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 11:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well number 5 was a joke anyway...but you made me feel so much worse, since he isn't more experienced. :P

Anyway, thanks for the prompt reply. Seems I was right about most everything, but it never hurts to get confirmation.

Quote:
Old 01 May 2008, 11:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Generally almost two thousand posts means you've been playing...
But I don't keep track of who posts where so you could easily have gotten them outside of 40k.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 12:05   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

1. All models get a charge bonus, but only those within 2 inches of the models in base to base get to attack. You can roll all the armour saves, or you can ignore them and just take him off, your choice.

2. Yes it may, though it intesects at a point a couple inches and may fire directly behind it, Its more like a 110 degree arc than a 90 degree arc.

3. Consider it Delcairing shooting, and that that unit must fire at the squad he measured to. Its the simplest way to handle it.

There you go, all the ones I know :P Also, for 5, just play more!
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 12:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer
2. Yes it may, though it intersects at a point a couple inches and may fire directly behind it, Its more like a 110 degree arc than a 90 degree arc.
I would say that it is more like a 200 degree arc. 180 is a half circle, and the diagram clearly goes beyond a half circle.
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 17:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidstyler
1. A crisis suit gets charged by a squad of say 7-8 CSM. Only three can make it into base-to-base, the rest maintain coherency. Do all models in the squad get bonus attacks for the charge or only the ones who make base-to-base contact? Also, does my crisis suit get to roll an armor save for each and every attack (minus attacks made with power weapons), even though I felt it was much easier to simply remove the model when faced with 20+ attacks and one wound left. :P

2. The picture of the predator side sponson's line of fire in the rulebook seems to imply that it can fire at units behind it. This didn't come up in our game but would be good to know in the future if they can do that, without having to turn to face the unit.

3. Another thing that came up, in the movement phase my brother would often measure the distance from his troops to mine to see if he could fire at anything. Is this allowed or should any checking for range be done in the shooting phase?

4. I guess my missile pod actually had two shots instead of one...

5. How the hell do I win, lol...I went over there thinking my brother was going to be pissed because I'd wipe him out, but it was quite the opposite. Everything was in his favor it seemed, he made excellent use of terrain and made decent tactical decisions, all while I've got my face buried in the rulebook and playing like a blind, retarded monkey. I do believe the book describes it as a "crushing victory"...in either case I'm glad he's more excited about 40k now, he seems to have livened up quite a bit.

Oh, and do a devilfish's gun drones count as passengers?
1: yes and yes although you can remove it if you want. I'm sure your oponent will give his permission.

2: yes it can. Sponson weapons can shoot anything within LoS of the point the gun pivots about.

3: no he can't do this as you can only measure ranges after declaring the target. Note what your brother did is known as pre-measuring and is in fact cheating. (at my store we play a house rule whereby if you premeasure then the unit you were premeasuring for is removed as if a casualty.

4: Don't know tau

5: ask on the tau board (scroll down a bit)

6: don't know tau.

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 17:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korill
1) All models get a bonus attack and you can try to save all attacks

2) As the picture shows

3) Should be done after shooting is declared

4) It does

5) Play better?

6) Yes

Seems odd that one such as you has never played...
Id say he's got it all correct here but the last one. From what I know the 2 drones bought for the vehicle, not the unit inside, dont count towards the carry capacity. Thats why they ride on the outside.