Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

the armies to beat in 5th edition
Old 01 May 2008, 08:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default the armies to beat in 5th edition

i havent seen a thread on this so i thought i'd ask around (if this is in the wrong place let me know...)

in the current rules-set, the armies to beat are commonly referred to as:

Nidzilla
Drop-boo marines (not so much)
drop pod marines
holo-falcons
mech tau
all battlesuit lists
ork hordes
necron destroyer lists

thats about it off the top of my head.

does anyone have any thoughts on what the next incarnation of "competetive" (note the wording ) army will be?

suggestions for the new rules-set:

war-walker heavy lists (as vehicles will get cover saves - HELLO FORTUNE!)
(untill the re-make) 6 venerable dreadnought marine lists, probably lead by techmarines.
180+model ork hordes
chaos armies that spam lesser daemons
daemon armies with 54 nurgling bases (as they are ALL immune to instant death and with the herald of nurgle guy, will eventually wound on a 2+ and i think they can ignore armour with him as well > )
Wraithwall armies
Imperial Guard drop troops

i was just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions (or dissagrees with the ones i just listed )
Old 01 May 2008, 08:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: the armies to beat in 5th edition

Well, my buddy just got his daemon army and codex today...From what he's described they are quite undercosted in a number of areas. With decent abilities and strong melee, I can see where they'd be an excellent force in Fifth edition.

Besides Nurglings I mean.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 08:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You left necrons off the old list, as 15 strong destroyer hordes are a major pain in fourth.

In fifth, I believe that necron warrior phalanxes will be even worse than that, as 60+ necron warriors that are one of only a few scoring units on the table (for either side) will prove very hard to remove from an objective.

Other terrors, IMO:

9 Killa kans and 2 deff dreads lead by 2 meks, 1 or 2 w/KFF and 30 boyz per mek(+5 cover for kans + dreads, boyz to keep meks alive)

IG drop troops (scoring units that do not show up until turn 5, then appear on an objective, throw a couple of demo charges, and walk into the cleared objective? *shudder*)

Rhino rush (If entanglement is removed, as I believe the rumors state it has.)

Chaos rhino rush (even cheaper rhinos)

Wraithwall (try killing 20 wraithguard sitting on an objective counting as troops when they are fortuned)
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 08:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Well, my buddy just got his daemon army and codex today...From what he's described they are quite undercosted in a number of areas. With decent abilities and strong melee, I can see where they'd be an excellent force in Fifth edition.
dont forget that with 2 exceptions - they all only have a 4+ or 5+ save (inv saves admitidally, only the bloodthirster and daemon prince can have an armour save - 3+)

i think the daemons are pretty balanced - minus the nurglings, 5+inv save, 3 wounds and immune to instant death - they come close to recieving my label of "broken" - i will have to play against them to see just how effective they are.

BrownKnight - forgot about the destroyer list, i will add it to the original post.

i aggree with the wraithwall and the IG drop troops (i will add them to the OP as well) but i havent seen how effective the 5+cover is yet so i will reserve judgement untill i have either fought it, or a mathhammer expert explains the odds
Old 01 May 2008, 11:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I am looking to a revamped version of drop troops for the IG. Spamming Guardsmen with demo charges and meltaguns... Beautiful...

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 19:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If the rumors about the fantasy style combat res are true Necron defensive lists will be deader than the dodo.

They rely on the ability to absorb a charge, remove the B2B casualties, make their ld 10 check and then get pulled out through a lith. In the leaked codex removing B2B casualties didn't stop sweeping advance, and their was a -1 to the loser's morale test for each point they lost by (similar to fantasy break tests), which means that ld 10 is gonna plummet.

Thus, I can't concur that the defensive crons will be a strong list in 5th ed (if its as rumored), but offensive Necrons are so powerful that I can see them still being a contender, even with only 20 warriors.
Old 01 May 2008, 20:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallessian
I am looking to a revamped version of drop troops for the IG. Spamming Guardsmen with demo charges and meltaguns... Beautiful...
Erm. Two guardsmen with Demo charges hardly constitutes spamming. Assuming you want them to be able to take advantage of the Drop Troops doctrine. You can squeeze up to 7 Demo charges into an IG force, as long as you use Colonel Schaeffer's last chancers...
Old 02 May 2008, 21:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

elysians can take a fair bit more, IIRC.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2008, 21:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
elysians can take a fair bit more, IIRC.
Must be a special list in an IA book then.
Old 03 May 2008, 00:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Elysians can have demo charges in their regular infantry squads... Absurdly powerful.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote