Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Book, New Army
View Poll Results: Who Should I Play Next?
Witch Hunters 6 15.00%
Eldar 9 22.50%
Chaos 10 25.00%
Black Templars 5 12.50%
Other 10 25.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 Apr 2008, 13:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Tau
Default New Book, New Army

Okies, basically good people of Tau Online, I admit it have a problem..... but I can quit that anytime I want *hic*

Seriously though, since 5th Edition is on it's way, I'd like a new army to usher in the new book, something different, something i've never really done before, because my current armies are predictably samey, so I want something new.

The only problem I have is I don't know what I want to do, I've made a shortlist of armies and I'm going to leave it up to the people to help me decide, thanks to anyone who can help me. Sorry to post this etc but I'm really struggling and sorry if i'm annoying anyone with this, I know how annoying posts like this get but I need help

I've always been a bit of a shooter, my armies usually rely on shooting and I seldomly use CC on the table, I play Tau and Marines, both of which have basically no assualt units, well it's not that they don't have assault units, it's just I barely use them, It's my preffered playing style, but this time I'd like to keep some of that shooting goodness whilst adding a bit more of a fluff/close combat edge.

Okies here is my short-list each with a reason I'd like to try them:

Witch Hunters (Faith system, Interesting units for conversion, very fluffy)

Eldar (Good all rounders, Harlequins and could make a very fluffy themed force)

Chaos (Daemons, Great Conversion ideas, very changable force)

Black Templars (Used to playing as marines, still get the usual shooting but with more of a combat edge.)

The only other thing is, If I chose Chaos I'd need help deciding on a legion also as there are more than a few I like :P

(Thousand sons, Night Lords, World Eaters, Emperor's Children and Iron Warriors, to be precise)

So If anyone could give me some clear views on these armies, just general stuff and what they are like to play as. Again sorry about this, I must seem a tad dense, it's just i'm very Indecisive, if you have any other ideas for armies I could do please post em up :P
Old 24 Apr 2008, 14:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: New Book, New Army

how does having an army that has the tools required for the job, is extremely powerful in the right hands but must be used with 100% concentration becuase EVERY casualty is a severe blow to the army and a bad movement/shooting/combat phase can end the game for them.....

the daemonhunters 8)

you "can" make a daemonhunters army that the daemons codex cannot actually defeat but it will suck against any other army. a balanced daemonhunters army usually numbers less than 30 models (including vehicles) but they can, with practice, do very well.

plus they have some awesome fluff and models to boot

propaganda over ( ), what sort of playstyle do you want for your new army:

1) Manoeverable

2) shooty

3) combat(y)

4) tough as old boots

5) challenging to use (unforgiving)

6) fairly "easy" to use (forgiving of mistakes)

7) competetive

8) non-competetive

9) just for fun

(or a mixture of the above)

options 7-9 are probably the ones you want to spend the most time contemplating

if you can say what type of army you want, we can help you more
Old 24 Apr 2008, 14:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Tau

I'd say Manueverable, fairly 'Easy' to use and just for fun would fit the bill.

Also fluffy, I'm very big on making themed/fluffy forces

I wouldn't say it needs to be competitive really, we only have one tournament a year where we play (far north, near the chaos wastes :P) and If I actually cared about going for the win, I'd just use my Tau or Marines as I have competitive lists etc for them.

I'd like a bit more CC in this one but I would like to retain a decent level of the shooting I'm used to. This is why Witch Hunters and Eldar are both getting my backing really, as they are very fun, both quite maneuverable, good shooting and can contain some deadly/fun combaty type units. (Repentia, Seraphim, Flagellants, Striking Scorpions, Banshee's, Harlies etc).
Old 24 Apr 2008, 14:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I say Orks

After all if the rumors are correct then the starter box will come with almost 1000pts plus the rule book.

Also it is a CC army which would different for you.
JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2008, 15:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya
I'd say Manueverable, fairly 'Easy' to use and just for fun would fit the bill.

Also fluffy, I'm very big on making themed/fluffy forces

I wouldn't say it needs to be competitive really, we only have one tournament a year where we play (far north, near the chaos wastes :P) and If I actually cared about going for the win, I'd just use my Tau or Marines as I have competitive lists etc for them.

I'd like a bit more CC in this one but I would like to retain a decent level of the shooting I'm used to. This is why Witch Hunters and Eldar are both getting my backing really, as they are very fun, both quite maneuverable, good shooting and can contain some deadly/fun combaty type units. (Repentia, Seraphim, Flagellants, Striking Scorpions, Banshee's, Harlies etc).
hmm... fluffy, balanced, forgiving and fairly combatty.....

orks possibly (though i wouldnt want to be the one to paint them )

but i'd vote eldar ( ).

they have options like:

THE AVATAR OF KHAINE!
autarchs
striking scorpions
howling banshees
dire avengers (you'd be suppirsed how effective a shimmershield+defend is )
shining spears

all those units can be very effective in close combat plus units like warp spiders are lightning fast and have 3+ saves so they can be a combat threat as well (especially with hit and run+power weapon)

in terms of fluff, forgive me if i am wrong as i dont have my codex with me but i think the biel-tan craftworld is famous for having more aspect warriors than the others so that would be a good place to start (they are the white/green guys ).

with the backup of farseer and autarchs (the other characters to a..... lesser extent) any eldar army can be very competetive and fun. if you are just going for fun try including the avatar as your cenerpiece model and have a wave of aspect warrior infantry surrounding him .

you can make a balanced shooty/combaty eldar army without too much hassle as well

:shifty: but you could always do daemonhunters :shifty:
Old 24 Apr 2008, 23:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, with the focus on close combat and the options listed, here is my advice:

Witch Hunters: The Inquisition is always fun, but their army designs tend to be VERY fluky against some conventional ones. I have played games against them with my Tyranids where I lost less than 6 gaunts the entire game and wiped the floor with them by turn 4. Also, they are forced, by their unit selection and what they have available, to perfectly utilize both close combat and shooting. Not the focus you were really looking for. Also, I don't really see them as being maneuverable as all you really have are flying sisters of battle and chimaira's/rhinos.

Eldar: Wonderful army. A real joy to play. Problem? They are VERY specialized, and have to be used in concert. Which means using a close combat based force with Eldar is 1000 times harder to do than a traditional army, as you don't have the shooting to rely upon. Eldar need each role in their army clearly fulfilled to do well. They do have the best maneuverability in the game.

Black Templars: Love 'em. Play them myself. They are a wee bit more close combat based than standard Marines, but they play very similarly, more so than some might think. The real benefit is that if you plan to play fifth edition, the Marines would be the first to get a codex, so you could effectively use either the 5th edition Marine rules or the old school Templar rules depending on which one you enjoyed more. Also, you would get a wealth of models in the new starter set too. Never a bad thing. They are slightly close combat based, but again there are better options... (I employ mine in drop pod assault to get that maneuverability thing down, and usually I can get some fearsome fighting going but still, they can often be ripped to shreds by DEDICATED close combat troops.

Which leads me to what I think would be an ideal choice for you....

CHAOS!!!! More specifically, the World Eaters Legion. Now then, you have a wealth of fluff, extending back to the Horus Heresy. So fluffy = check. They are pretty simple to use as well, no fancy tactics, or snazzy movement or nothing. Just point 'em in the direction of the enemy and let them lose. Your basic berserker is a rock solid close combat monster. Plus, you get access to all the weird demon-y things that your Space Marines and Tau are lacking. For maneuverability, you have access to bikes, raptors, possesed (they get the job done), rhinos, and the sort. But who needs it? You just get to hurl hordes of bloodthirsty monsters at your enemy!

Check out this recent World Eaters tactica: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=64213.0
Has a bunch of more information.

So, that's my personal opinion. But that could be because I wanna start a Chaos army too. I recommend checking all the boards separately and asking dedicated players of the armies how what you are looking for in a new force would perform with their army.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 12:40   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to IntCorps

Just a question but why has no one mentioned the 'nids? ??? : ??? They are one of the most customisable armys out there.....
Old 25 Apr 2008, 15:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Magnifico, trying to convert another lost soul to the Sacred Deamonhunting route :P
Tyranids are very good at close combat, but he also wanted fluff which the Tyranids lack on, so I'm guessing that's why he left it out of his list.

From the list you gave I would say Eldar, I have never played with them myself (I haven't played with any of those armies), but looking at their codex they seem to have a wide variety of choices that fit many different roles, you already have marines so I wouldn't suggest getting chaos as they are essentially marines with a few extras and a few things lost.
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2008, 15:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Demonhunters looks so darn fun I am thinking of starting them in a small detachment myself. The models are fun, the roolz is fun, sure they are weirdly balanced but you can have a lot of joy playing them.

They theme real good: I'm sure we've all seen "Hello Kitty Sisters of Battle" by now... and your unit choices are so awesome. Repentance Engines? The Hieromartyr? SO MUCH FULL OF WIN.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 17:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Eldar.

Why? Everyone should play eldar because we rock to our socks! And we can be tuned to take on any oponent, and we use similar tactics to tau J-S-J, serpent of fury/fish of fury.

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote