Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Want to start a second army
Old 24 Apr 2008, 02:11   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Sepher The Reckoner
Default Want to start a second army

I would like to think about a good second army once i finish my tau army.

I'm not too familiar with other army's, though i mostly fight against SM and Eldar, so i know a bit about them.

Im looking to play a more CC army because the tau have no capabilities of that whatsoever (unless you count o-shovah) but i'm also looking for an army that's customizable and less played (i love being the person that brings an army hardly anyone else does and kicks some butt)

Tau: Wins:0 Loss:0 Draw:0
Sepher The Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2008, 02:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Want to start a second army

Necrons look like your best bet. Not many folks play them, and they have the disgustingly powerful C'tan which simply cannot be beaten in close combat.

Chaos space marines are another good option. Yes, there are a fair number of people who already play chaos, but you can dedicate your army to one of the chaos gods and make it much more unique that way.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2008, 02:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Close combat...rare....there's one clear choice. Dark Eldar.

You'll also be extremely fast. Abuse it. =)

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2008, 03:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallessian
Necrons look like your best bet. Not many folks play them, and they have the disgustingly powerful C'tan which simply cannot be beaten in close combat.

You can, if you are BIGGER than your opponent and armed with a Lump Hammer . . . . .

Seriously, Necrons have some great ideas behind them - and in the right hands a very VERY lethal army indeed.
Aun El Vre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2008, 04:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

Orks might be a sound option, in most regards.
Close combat centric? Check.
Customizable? Check.
Not commonly seen? Eh... Questionable.

Orks are definitely played with close combat in mind. With your basic boy having a base attack value of two, it's hard to resist sending wave after wave of them into the enemy line. On the customizability front, it's hard to match da Boyz. GW doesn't even supply us with models for a decent amount of our models (Ard Boyz, Battlewagons, Looted Wagons) and some of the models are so hard to get (or expensive) that you're better off just making your own, which is luckily quite easy and rewarding. Not only are they customizable in regards to their models, but their army list can be vastly altered to fit nearly anyone's playing style. You could try and run a Deffwing army, if you wanted, having a total of some twenty-two models in a 1000 point list, but each of them with power klaws and twin-linked weaponry. Or maybe an all bike army? Nothing says Waaagh! Quite like first turn combat, mounted on supped-up choppers. Or the ever-so-classic Green Horde army, laying down well over 150 models and each them able to tear a Marine apart in close combat. The Ork army list is extremely versatile.

The only department they might let you down in would be the "not commonly seen" one. I know that before the new codex, us Greenskins were few and far between. I never once faced another Ork in my three years in the hobby prior to the new codex's release. Now with the new codex out on the shelves, and it would seem, quite nicely received by everyone but the Tau, I'm sure there's been quite an influx of new Ork players. .I can't say anything definite, though, as I haven't gotten a game in since the new codex came out.

Not only do you get all of the above, but you get an awesome excuse to visit the Ork boards and visit with us.

Hope that helped,

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2008, 04:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak

Well, when you say customizability, do you mean in a gaming sense, or a hobby sense?

The two obvious choices here (except for the rareness factor, which I'll mention in a minute) are Tyranids and Orks. The Orkzes, as previously mentioned, are so customizable with looted vehicles, trukks, and the whole scavenging feel of the army, its hard not to go crazy with these guys when you are modeling. I know a guy, for as a side project, build a Trukk out of 4 spare bike wheels, an ork, and popsicle sticks. And painted, with a few extra bitz slapped on, it looks amazing. It fits right in with the ork army style!

Meanwhile, while Tyranids are somewhat customizeable with miniatures (want a crazy flying cockaroach with pew-pew guns and claws the size of a dreadnaught?), they are much more adaptable in gaming. While orks are all mostly the same, you can customize your 'Nids however you want. The biomorph system allows you to add enhancements to your otherwise dirt-cheap units, such as extra toughness, a higher armor save, venom sacks, or a big freaking gun. The basic troops, gaunts, are so customizeable that you start from scratch with just a basic 5 point body, and get to add whatever you want to it!

Now, rareness of the army really depends on the areas you live/play in. My store I go to has a lot of marine and eldar players, but for some reason I am the only Tau player. Other areas might have a sever shortage of chaos armies, or only have 2 players for the Imperium. If it really is important to you, I would go to your local store, be it GW or independant retailor, on a few game nights, and make mental notes of which armies you see a lot of, and which you dont. Even if you dont play at them often, these players will most likely be the ones you are matched up against come tourney time!

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Mavfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2008, 15:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Siruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepher The Reckoner
Im looking to play a more CC army because the tau have no capabilities of that whatsoever (unless you count o-shovah) but i'm also looking for an army that's customizable and less played (i love being the person that brings an army hardly anyone else does and kicks some butt)
I would suggest Dark eldar, as they are highly effective in close combat, and highely effective at being that army that no-one plays yet is amazing. Unfortunately we arent as customizable as say space marines or eldar, but what we lack in customizability we gain in the fact that each unit can be used to devastating effect. If your looking for a challenge then dark eldar are for you, because every move and shot counts, its very much a thinking army as your constantly on the move.

Its very different to playing tau though, so if your not up to a challenge of learning an entirely new way to play, then dont bother.

Siruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2008, 04:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Orks'll probably get rarer again. They've been released recently, and you know how it goes with any newly released army. My store always has folks hoppin on the bandwagon. Don't let that make your mind up, as half of em'll give it up for the next big army.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2008, 19:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Go Marines. No line is better supported or has more versatility. Theyll be cheap as hell once theyre part of the new 5th ed boxed set, which youll probably end up buying anyhow.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 20:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepher The Reckoner
I would like to think about a good second army once i finish my tau army.

I'm not too familiar with other army's, though i mostly fight against SM and Eldar, so i know a bit about them.

Well the choice that fits that bill is Dark Eldar, NO-ONE plays them and they are close combat beasts. However you wont choose them (as I said no-one does).

So Black Templars. They're not that common and are great at CC. I played Tau as my first army and Black Templars filled the gap of the Tau. I realy reccomend either of these armys.
Tashvar Myen Jkaara is offline   Reply With Quote