Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Campaign rules & fluff
Old 17 Apr 2008, 19:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Campaign rules & fluff

Here are some rules and fluff I have written for a campaign between me and some friends, any advice on how it can be improved?:

Valkarus prime is a world on the Eastern fringe of Imperial space, caught between Tau space and the Tyranids.

It was during the Tau Empire’s third sphere expansion that it found itself beset upon by both these foes.

From the Tau Empire came forces from the red desert world of O’Man’Tar, Their mission: assimilate the world into the Empire and destroy anyone who would oppose the greater good. Leading the Tau forces on Valkarus prime was Shas’o O’Man’Tar Mont’Yr Kais who had made his name fighting off Imperial attempts to conquer his home world. He had with him a large amount of Ethereals to convert the world’s human populace.

The Tyranids on Valkarus prime were a splinter fleet of hive fleet Kraken; their sole purpose on the world was to devour it.

The Imperial forces on Valkarus prime were a guardsmen regiment sent to prevent the world falling into xenos hands. They brought with them many powerful tanks including a mighty Baneblade.

Only time would show who would be victorious.

Special rules:

map:The campaign map is split into square zones

Points: Unless specified otherwise each zone generates 50 points per turn

The campaign turn: Movement: Each detachment may move one space per turn during the movement phase to an adjacent zone, claiming it if the player doesn’t already own it, if the space has enemy forces in it a battle is fought the battle phase to see who earns control of it.

Battle: This is where all battles are fought

Reinforcement: During this phase gathered points can be used to build new detachments or reinforce existing ones; existing detachments must be reinforced so they are made legal before points can be spent on anything else. New detachments appear on or adjacent to the army’s main base.

Detachments: Each detachment must be at most 1500 points and must follow the force organisation chart. It must be shown how many points the detachment costs but not what it contains.

One shot weapons: One shot weapons are replaced for free between battles, it is assumed that spares are ready it just isn’t convenient to prepare them during a firefight.

Army specific rules:

Imperial guard:

Baneblade: The baneblade starts at the Imperial base and can only move on squares with roads, roads cost 100 points and a detachment must spend a whole turn on the square to build the road. The Imperial guard may only have one baneblade at a time.

Ecclesiarchial ties: Valkarus prime has strong ties to the Ecclesiarchy, the Imperial guard automatically gain priests as restricted troops in addition to their other options.

Tyranids:

Genetic reassimilation: Every time the Tyranids win a battle, during the reinforcement phase, the detachment may restore to its strength before battling at half the normal cost.

Horde: Gaunts, hormagaunts and rippers are restored to their minimum unit size for free if taken below it but not destroyed.

Tau:
Strong Ethereal presence: The Tau have bought a large amount of Ethereals with them to convert Imperials, They may use a single Ethereal in each detachment that doesn’t take up a HQ slot, he may still take an honour guard.

Air caste:The Tau may take Flyers but they must return to a refuelling station at least every 10 campaign turns otherwise they run out of fuel and die, if a detachment stays on a zone for a whole campaign turn it may build a refuelling station for 300 points.
Old 17 Apr 2008, 20:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Campaign rules & fluff

Hm, good stuff but it would be important to get a layout of the map, and possibly some more information on how your campaign world will run.

Everything's normal fluffwise, but you may be able to spice it up a little bit. For example, let's say that there is a psyker/warp research facility on the planet.

- The Tyranids don't only wish to envelop the planet, but to hunt down and assimilate the powerful Imperial psykers into their gene pool to create stronger synapse control.

- The Imperial Guard don't care about the populace, but abou the Warp apprentices. They need them secured and either killed or evacuated before they can be captured or defiled by the enemy. Or, you could mess with the guard and give them a more... Chaotic intent...

- The Imperial warp research on Valkarus has yielded many powerful weapons for Imperium starhips, ones that tear holes between material space and the warp for a split second before closing. These prototype weapons have already wreaked mass havoc on Tau fleets, and if made into a military standard on Imperium warfleets could have devastating results. The Firecaste has been ordered to find this research and capture it so that the Empire may turn its use to the Greater Good.

That eliminates the standard Tyranids eat stuff, Tau assimilate stuff and IG defend stuff archetypes and give you a personal feel to the campaign.

Also, I think some of the army specific bonuses are kind of weak... Maybe allow the Imperial Guard to take priests as a squad upgrade (I would change priests to psykers if you wish to use the above ideas...) Also, the Baneblade doesn't seem as useful for small 1500 points games, if it can be used it would be extremely over powered. Maybe represent it with an additional artillery barrage in the IG player's shooting phase each turn or something, taking away the road rule. Nid rules sound find, maybe their psychic horror could allow decoy armies to be placed on the campaign map (also representing their swarm like nature). The Air Caste rules are similar to the Baneblade ones, I would tweak them a little bit as well. The Ethereal presence rule is rather weak (no offense) as Ethereals themselves are rather weak. I would recommend the ability to upgrade Firewarrior teams to the equivalent of the Ethereal's bodyguard teams for the points cost indicated instead.

There should be distinct rewards for capturing certain important territories, bonuses I might say (extra points, deploying second, starting first, free preliminary bombardment...) and units should gain experience over time as well (the BGB crazy huge rulebook has specific rules in regards to something like that, I recommend checking it out).

There's a lot of stuff there, but it's all constructive (I hope) because I love campaigns and really want to see yours be absolutely amazing.
Old 17 Apr 2008, 20:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks for the advice, couple of problems though:- One of the guard players has his heart set on using that baneblade

-I don't think he has any psykers(I could say the priests are the key, the Tau wan't them so they can break Imperial morale, the tyranids have sensed a potentially useful gene mutation in them)

I'll probably follow your advice about the ethereal rule

I think one of the other players is working on the map

I'll probably replace the air caste rule with preliminary bombardment

I'll probably set a space limit around the guard base where the baneblade can be used

Thanks for the input, I'll post a copy of the map when it becomes available
Old 17 Apr 2008, 22:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

No problem, some extended advice...

- Alright, so we're going for priests. Guardsmen have a priest training facility on the planet, needs to be secured. Tau want the priests to crack the codes of human propaganda to make subduing populaces much easier. Now, the reason why the priest training facility (make up a better name, I recommend) has been so more successful compared to other ones in the Imperium: It was built a top a Tyranid space spore (with important gene makeup gained from forgotten wars) that crashed into the ground thousands of years ago. It has remained mainly dormant but the Hive Mind recently picked up it's beacon and is sending troops to retrieve it. There's a similar basis.

- Preliminary bombardment sounds good, instead of making a slew of faction specific abilities make ones based on the map: Maybe there's a space port players must capture to be able to launch bombing raids (therefore giving them access to preliminary bombardment).

- The Baneblade is going to be a very powerful tool, and I see why your buddy insists on using it. However, I recommend that you remove movement restrictions but on the Baneblade but change how it works... for instance, it cannot capture territory. I would recommend that in any games involving the Baneblade, players get a number of bonus points equal to the Baneblade in addition to what forces they already have and a free strategic asset. Something so that it can be killable and preventing the Baneblade from being used by itself. Make it fun, but not overpowered. That will take some play testing to get working.... it would keep all damage from previous games unless repaired for X amount of resources or something.
Old 18 Apr 2008, 18:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've had an idea that the baneblade could only move every other turn.
Or I could say once it's gone it's gone, no buying a new one.

Thing is it'll probably destroy any detachment not tailored to destroy it, meaning once it's gone those detachments then become a waste.

I do think it would be a bad idea to let him use it anywhere as it will probably mop the floor with me and the Tyranids because apocalyptic blasts are lethal in small games, especially against the Tyranids, in fact I'm starting to think I should just tell him he can't use it as it is just making it too complicated. I may tell him he can use it to defend his base but nowhere else.

Here's the re-written fluff, rules coming soon:

Valkarus prime is a city world on the Eastern fringe of Imperial space, caught between Tau space and the Tyranid hive fleets.

Valkarus prime has a large amount of priests and Imperials consider it the religious heart of the system, in fact there isn’t a square mile of land that doesn’t have a cathedral.

It was during the Tau Empire’s third sphere expansion that it found itself beset upon by both these foes simultaneously.

From the Tau Empire came forces from the red desert world of O’Man’Tar, Their mission: assimilate the world into the Empire and destroy anyone who would oppose the greater good. Leading the Tau forces on Valkarus prime was Shas’o O’Man’Tar Mont’Yr Kais who had made his name fighting off Imperial attempts to conquer his home world His second in command was Shas’el O’Man’Tar Vior’la, a younger commander who brought with him his experience at fighting the Tyranids, something that Mont’Yr Kais was lacking in. They had with them a large amount of Ethereals to convert the world’s human populace to the greater good and also many Gue’vesa teams, descendents of the humans left behind when the Imperium abandoned the world of Salamar,(now known to the Tau as O’Man’Tar) for this reason they hate Imperium and are utterly loyal to their alien leaders. The Tau had targeted Valkarus prime for its large number of priests. The Tau had reasoned that if they captured enough priests they would break Imperial morale and be able to conquer many of the nearby planets thus making the reach of the greater good even further.

The Tyranids on Valkarus prime were a splinter fleet of hive fleet Kraken; their purpose on the world was to devour it to feed the hive mind, the Tyranids also had an interest in the priests, for a genestealer vanguard had discovered that many of them had developed a gene adaptation that heightened their senses, fortunately these genestealers were destroyed, by a kasrkin squad who hunted them through the sewers, before they could be reabsorbed into the Tyranid gene-pool, unfortunately they weren’t quick enough to prevent the genestealers from telepathically telling the hive mind what they had found, now the Tyranids had returned to absorb this DNA to create even greater monstrosities.

The Imperial forces on Valkarus prime were a regiment of guardsmen sent to prevent the world falling into xenos hands and to prevent the priests from being used against the Imperium. They brought with them many powerful tanks including a mighty Baneblade. Failure was not an option as the priests were needed to prevent a rebellion against the Imperium that would make it all too easy for the Tau Empire to conquer the whole system, with this in mind they set out on this great campaign with a steel determination to win reinforced by inspiring sermons from the priests, who were completely unphased by the fact that there were two armies trying to capture them.

During the initial skirmishes of the campaign all the priests were captured or killed and the Imperium managed to secure the planet’s leaders and gather them in their base of operations, when the dust settled each side found that it hadn’t captured enough of the priests to achieve its goal, and with so many hostile ships in orbit evacuating the ones they had was nigh impossible as each side would rather them be dead than in enemy hands, inevitably the only option remaining to each side was an outright war to completely destroy the other two factions and recover the priests that were still alive and in the case of the Imperium and the Tau prevent any genetic information from the priests becoming part of the Tyranid hive fleets, all the sides called for reinforcements , and the main campaign began. Only through the deaths of many would a victor and the fate of this besieged world be decided.
Old 18 Apr 2008, 19:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Nice fluff! Well done, now you turned the campaign into something original and interesting (with the priests) than the simple stuff that many people would expect. In regards to the Tyranid motives, one tweak I might suggest is that genetic conditioning gave the priests heightened senses (having the traits already make them sound a little mutant-y...) even better, have the genetic conditioning based off of Tyranid organisms (and the Imperials didn't know) so the Nids have been drawn to the planet by the genetic material making itself so prevalent in the population.

In regards to the Baneblade...

Taking it away would severely diminish the Guard player's ability to have fun in this campaign. However, representing it as a force on the map makes it less fun for the rest of you guys as well. I would use the basic forces, but before each battle, roll one dice. If it's a six, add 3000 points to the game and use Apocalypse rules. This way, the player with more points still has an advantage and the Guard player has the ability to use his Baneblade in a few games, and the Nids/Tau can expect that and have enough forces to be able to destroy it. Might be harder if you guys don't have enough models, however...

OR, you could just have the Baneblade "count as" a Leman Russ. Counting it as a real Baneblade in a normal sized game is just too powerful though.

The campaign is really coming along nicely though.
Old 19 Apr 2008, 20:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Maybe I could let him take it without structure points for a reduced points cost.

I need a way around this badly as no-one in the campaign would be able to do an Apocalypse battle(I'm not that far off but the Tyranids aren't)

I've added an orbital cannon you can use if you capture the three territories, this could even things up if me or the Tyranids capture it.
Old 19 Apr 2008, 23:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Um, just make sure he uses the IA rules for the baneblade. Its somewhat less evil, and costs a bit more. IE, its meant for non-apoc games.

Apoc simply isn't balanced at the same level as normal games, allowing him to use it as is would be blatantly unfair. With IA rules, it's still quite powerful.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2008, 21:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Tyndmyr's idea is good. Otherwise, the only thing I can justify is letting him use it as a Leman Russ. Or have him proxy Land Raider rules from the Space Marines. That's probably your best bet, but trying to change it and make up it's rules are going to be a big problem on the campaign, as it will either be too powerful or not powerful enough. Again, I think proxying it as a Land Raider would work.

You could potentially make this more of an "escalation" based game, where it starts off with limits to the points (usually starting at 500) and slowly builds to encompass bigger games. Gives people incentive to build/paint an army so they're ready for the next level.

You think of using kill team rules as well? Maybe letting players launch assassinations or raids on one another? Could prove kind of cool, especially if they were detachments of the actual army and could fight as a squad in real games of 40k.
Old 22 Apr 2008, 17:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Unfortunately I doubt he will have the money to IA

Hopefully he will agree to it counting as a land raider

I have suggested to him that he only fires it's main cannon once per battle