Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Adepticon!
Old 09 Apr 2008, 17:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Adepticon!

I'm heading out to Adepticon tomorrow, just thought I'd get my pre-tourney report up:

I'm entering the following tournaments!

1. Gladiator - Decepticrons
2. Team 40k - Chaos (plague marine/lash prince)
3. Invitational - Decepticrons

Assessment:

1. My chances in the gladiator are pretty dismal. My list is 'ard as anything, but the apocalypse rules really mess with Necron anti-tank, and the Guargantuan creatures are utterly unfair. I expect I'll do well vs. other conventional armies, but get owned by armies that properly take advantage of the rule set.

2. Team Tournament: Our ridiculous hodepodge army is likely to get thrashed by armies that work together well. Each of us is a pretty seasoned player though, we will probably do alright in battle points (not near the top or bottom) and get reamed on fluff/comp/sports.

3. Invitational: I'm pretty confident in my army at this format, I think I've got at least a one out of two shot at winning vs. any army except twin lash chaos and drop pod fear marines. If I don't encounter any of those forces I hope to finish in the top third. Redbeard challenged me to go to this tourney earlier this year, so I'm hoping to run into him in this tourney.

Anyone else going to be at Adepticon? It'd be cool to put faces to some of the screen names I've posted with for a whiel.
Old 10 Apr 2008, 16:32   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Adepticon!

I'll be there. Been looking forward to it for quite a while. I'll be taking part in the 40k Team Tournament under the team name 'A Modest Proposal.' We went with an Imperial themed team (two Guard armies, one Black Templar, one apothecary heavy DIY Marine) that will probably get thrashed by some of the better teams, but still do fairly well. We're all veteran players of at least a decade, but two of us are playing armies that they picked up only within the last year or so to fit in the team. We're really not all that competitive anyway...we're just in it for fun.

What's your team's name? I'll look you up.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 05:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It looks like a really fun tourney.

I know a group of people that will be bringing a fabulous Howling Gryphons army, the display board itself is probably the single most impressive thing I've seen, in person, for 40k.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 23:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Brief summary, details to come at another time, when I am less slagged.

Gladiator: Won 3, tied one (tie was technically a win but a tie in every way that matters)
Team: Won 5, lost 3
Invitational: Won 2, lost one (it was the championship game and it was a narrow loss though)

Monochrome Ape: We were Team F.O.D. Sorry I didn't read the response before heading out. How'd you guys end up doing?

Commander_Vimes: It totally was! The Howling Griffons display board was positively astounding.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 14:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The Gladiator Tournament: In this tournament Apocalypse units (but not formations or assets) are legal, and there is no comp or sportsmanship. The goal is to bring the most brutal lists you can and krump your way to the top.

I didn't bring a camera...but I imagine there are many many pictures of Adepticon around, so everyone can believe me when I say that the overall quality of armies I saw was absolutely amazing.

Further, we can take as read that the organization was stellar and my opponents polite and skilled. I didn't play a single jerk.

Anyway, on to my Gladiator experience:

My list:

Decepticrons 2k

Deceiver
10 Warriors
11 Warriors
8 Immortals
8 Immortals
8 Immortals
3 Destroyers
3 Destroyers
3 Destroyers
1 Heavy Destroyer
1 Heavy Destroyer
1 Heavy Destroyer

My assessment: Not much to say about this list that I haven't already said. I'm confident in it, I think it's top-tier, and I figure I've got a 1 in 2 chance vs. any 40k list that doesn't use Apocalypse stuff, with the twin exceptions of dual-lash Chaos and Drop pod marines. Those 2 lists distress me. Other than that though, I've got the firepower to stop an Ork rush, the glancing power to put down falcons, the Deceiver to stuff a blitz list and the general high leadership, armor and toughness to win shooting competitions with SAFH lists. I've brought my best, let's see how it measures up.

I'm borrowing my buddy (Player A)'s orange painted Necrons for all the parts of my army that come in from reserve in Escalation, so we have blue infantry and orange jetbikes/Deceiver. I think it looks neat, and I get some compliments.

Game #1:

Opponent: Tau

Shas'O w/Fusion Blaster, Multi-Tracker, missile pod and plasma rifle
Shas'el w/Plasma rifle, missile pod, multi tracker and targeting array
2 x 6 Fire Warriors
2 x 8 Fire Warriors
6 Fire Warriors w/Devilfish
10 Kroot Warriors w/4 Kroot hounds
Piranha w/Fusion blaster, targeting array
Piranha w/Fusion blaster, targeting array
6 gun drones
2 Xv8's w/plasma rifle, missile pod, multi-tracker
2 Xv8's w/plasma rifle, missile pod, multi-tracker
3 Xv8's w/burst cannon, missilep od, multi-tracker, 2 shield drones
Hammerhead w/SMS, Decoy launcher, Multi-tracker, Target launcher, Flechette launcher

I just...I feel ashamed. I rolled up with this competitive death and destruction list, and here's my old friend, Mech Tau, ready for another boxing round. Only, I've got an AK. I've got my enemy so far out-listed that this won't even be a game. I mean..Kroot hounds? Crisis Suits with Burst cannons? Fire Warriors with no devilfish? I feel like I ought to break out the Flayed Ones and Wraiths. My list fights evenly with the very best skimmer lists....and this is a pale shadow thereof.

The Mission:
triangle-corners deployment, secure and control, w/escalation. Bonus points for winning by > 200 VP's and destroying all troop choices.

The game:

I put as many tokens as I can on one flank and line up my warriors opposite them. The Immortals go more towards the middle, ready to blast any enemies which appear. His infantry huddles in the terrain across from us. He gets the first turn, opens fire and kills an Immortal, which doesn't get back up. I advance and blast down 2 of his units. He responds on his turn, and his tanks show up, so he knocks down a few more guys...half of whom stand back up. We shoot down a Hammerhead, and my Deceiver comes on, along with a Heavy D and a Destroyer unit. The remainder of his forces come on, and he makes his move.

He sends the Crisis Suits, en-masse, at the flank with the 3 objectives and focuses fire on the Warriors. He nearly gets all of one unit down. I'm impressed, he's done the best that is possible, getting me to commit my round 2 stuff to the worthless middle and placing his best units against my worst on the valuable flank. Then my destroyers and heavy destroyers come in and I send them to that flank, they blast away most of his crisis suits and the risen warriors lock the rest into an assault that the tau won't win.

The remainder of the game is just my units outshooting his, and ultimately the Deceiver is able to get to the Fire Warriors and make sure I get the make all troops non-scoring objective.

My opponent fought well, but couldn't overcome the list disparity. He is part of a club though, and I mark down that club shirt as a warning sign of a skilled opponent. I get maximum points for this round, and look forward with anticipation and dread to facing an Apocalypse monster that slaughtered some other player.

Round 2:

Opponent's list: Space Marines:

Epistolary in terminator armor w/4 man Terminator command squad.
Inquisitor Lord w/Acolyte, Warrior, Chirugeon, Chirugeon, 2 Heavy bolter gun servitor's...Inq. Lord has Liber Heresius
Callidus Assassin
Ven Dreadnaught in a drop pod
Devastator Squad w/ 4 heavy bolters, tank hunters
8 man Las/Plas tac squad w/ power fist sarge
10 man Las/Plas tac squad w/ power fist sarge
Landspeeder w/Assault cannon
Predator Destructor w/autocannon, 2 heavy bolter sponsons
Predator Annihilator w/twin linked lascannon, 2 lascannon sponsons
Vindicator

Huh, now this is a more competitive list. I still feel like I"ve got the edge though, with all the vehicles. If I can get first turn I ought to be able to do unkind things to all those points, then just outshoot the Las/plas units and send the Deceiver in for a finishing blow.

The mission:
Primary: Hold the center for the most turns, there are glass beads that are used to count this
Secondary: Vp's
Tertiary: Table quarters

Right from the get go, this game goes south. He uses his Liber Heresius to choose deployment zones, and fearlessely deploys for a first turn game. He then wins the roll to go first, and focuses his fire properly on my shootiest units. I'm on the back foot initially, and he's done something else really smart.

He's deep striking his dreadnaught, callidus and terminator command squad. I can't afford to send Big D away from my army until I've got all the hand to hand teleporters down (mostly the terminators and dread, crons can handle the callidus), so I have to hunker down around the objective. No problem, though, I can still just outshoot him, right?

Nope, for the only time in all of my 11 games at Adepticon my dice utterly fail me. The third and fourth round I can't make an armor save or a WBB, and my shooting is miserable. I am at least able to crump the Ven Dread when it drops, and pop all his speeders, but the Terminators steadfastly refuse to land, so the Deceiver can't go mess him up.

Abetted by miserable armor saves (I lose an entire 8 man Immortal squad to the Ven Dread's assault cannon + heavy flamer fire...) I'm being shot off the table. I am, however, winning the primary objective. as he doesn't dare advance in the face of the Deceiver.

The last exciting thing happens when his Terminators come in...but he lands them far away and just uses them to fire assault cannons. He's going for phase out, as its too late to get the primary, but he isn't fails to make it as the game draws to a close.

I get the primary, he gets the secondary (being up on VP's) and while the tertiary initially appears contested (as his terminators got boo'd by the Deceiver on the last round) he wins it because one warrior has his foot on the wrong side of the line.

I get 16 points, he gets 15...We are a bit glum as we realize we've knocked each other out of contention. I mark his club shirt, for Cold Steel Mercenaries, as another sign of a dangerous foe. I'm beginning to get the impression that the fish are bigger in this big bowl than I'm used to. Still haven't faced any apocalypse monsters though.

Round 3:

Space Wolves:

Terminator Wolf Lord w/4 Wolf Guard in a Drop Pod...2 assault cannons, 2 pairs of lightning claws
Terminator Rune priest w/4 Wolf Guard in a Drop Pod...2 assault cannons, 2 pairs of lightning claws
Venerable Dreadnaught in a Drop Pod
8 Grey Hunters w/3 power fists, and a meltaguns in a Drop Pod
10 Blood Claws w/3 power fists, and a meltagun in a drop pod
10 Blood Claws w/3 power fists, and a meltagun in a drop pod
Dreadnaught in a Drop Pod
Land Speeder
4 Wolf Scotus with a Meltagun

Ugh...I loathe space wolves in drop pods. Any one of their units which so much as brushes mine will obliterate it, and the pods protect them from my firepower to a considerable extent. Deceiver will be busy this game.

To make things worse, my foe is one I recognize. He used to live nearby, and he's beaten me down with this list before.

The mission:
Deployment in corners
Primary is cleanse w/weighting by glass beads
secondary is VP's
tertiary is kill enemy highest point HQ.

He uses the skimmer, who starts no the board, to push me back into my worthless quarter, and I move towards him for the first 2 turns, getting in position to take the drop.

On his round both blood claw packs, the Rune Priest unit and the Ven Dread drop, and he gets right up in my face. I focus my fire on the Terminators, and send the Deceiver into one pack of Blood Claws. This leaves one unit unattended to and I'm forced to sac and Immortal unit to them.

On his next round the remaining forces fall (except for the scouts), and my misdirect fails, leaving Big D still killing Blood Claws. Also his Dread kills a Heavy Destroyer and a drop pod shoots down the other, forcing the last to flee into the valuable quarter and cower behind a building.

I focus my fire and blast down his Blood Claws, preparing to receive another ruinous charge and lose another unit or so. His grey hunters kill another unit of Immortals and the Deceiver is able to break the Blood Claws.

He puts his power fists to work on the Deceiver during this time, and as soon as it goes down the game is totally over. I'm counting wounds and pondering...but the Dice Gods lend me their favor. Over the course of this game Deceiver takes 15 wounds and makes 11 saves, leaving him panting, but alive.

Essentially the game devolves into my retreating ever faster into my zone while the Deceiver runs amuck in his line. Either I'll phase out or the game will end. As things draw to a close he's got just the Dread left for scoring units, but its in my warriors, and Deceiveri s busy murdering his terminators and such.

I am forced to use my "hear no evil" mulligan to save a unit of warriors from Sweeping Advance, and the roll for extra turn comes up negative, leaving me with 20 Necrons at the end of turn 6. He's only got his Dreadnaught left for scoring units, so I win primary and secondary, but my one wound Deceiver and his last retinue terminator tie us up for the tertiary.

The game was an incredibly close one, and any of 5 or 6 rolls going the other way would have led to his victory. I got the primary and secondary though, so I get like 30 points for this one, enough to get me pretty high up the ladder for my final game.

Game 4:

Eldar:

Eldrad
Yriel
3 Jetbikes with a shuriken catapult
10 man Wraithguard unit
5 man Harly unit w/all trimmings
5 man Harly unit w/all trimmings
6 man Harly unit w/all trimmings
falcon w/all trimmings
falcon w/all trimmings
Deathspinnner

Well, here he is, my old friend Mech Eldar. Aside from an odd Iyanden bent this is a list I've faced many times. The Daethspinner is new though. Basically its a falcon that has an ordnance barrage pie plate that is s7, ap -. I resolve to treat it as a falcon.

The Mission: Table quarters w/extra points for winning by a lot and destroying enemy expensive units...Also, you get to choose one enemy unit that comes on the board on turn 4, from any board edge.

He wins the roll to choose sides, and picks a side, he selects my Deceiver as my shorthanded unit. I select his wraithguard.

He opts to go first (I think this is a mistake, as it seems like the Deceiver will follow his Wraithguard out wherever they go and slaughter them.)

He moves around, shelling my units with his pie plates. I walk doggedly into the center, preparing to contest all quarters. He sends out a falcon and all of a sudden my dice go on the craziest streak I had for my whole adepticon trip. The falcon goes down to the first warrior unit that fires at it, leaving Yriel and 2 harlies sitting there. They are promptly shot to death. The other 2 falcons tank shock through my army, and I make all my morale tests. One warrior unit fires on Eldrad's falcon, and down it goes, immobilized. An immortal unit then fires at it and it promptly is wrecked, leaving the Seer of Ulthwe and a shadowseer exposed to the guns of a Necron army. With the whole of my list left to shoot my opponent concedes. I score full points for this round.

So that was my gladiator. The next day I see the scores and I was 8th. It was a great tournament and I came out with zest and energy.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 16:08   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

We got pretty well stomped as expected. As I mentioned, we're not overly competitive and brought lists that we enjoy playing rather than lists that will put serious kinks in an opponent. I'm working on a full Team Tournament battlerep that I'll post in this thread if I get it done in the next day or so.
Old 17 Apr 2008, 14:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The Decepticrons returned for the Invitational tournament on Sunday.

Every player I face in this tournament was knowledgeable about the rules, played optimally, brought a competitive list and was polite and pleasant. This was the best tournament I've ever been to. I didn't have a single bad experience at Adepticon, but these 3 were each actively enjoyable games.

Decepticrons 1850

Deceiver
10 warriors
10 warriors
6 Immortals
6 Immortals
7 Immortals
3 Destroyers
3 Destroyers
3 Destroyers
1 Heavy Destroyer
1 Heavy Destroyer
1 Heavy Destroyer

No need to repeat my comments, save to note that Decepticrons (and Necrons in general) prefer higher point values. The lower it gets the weaker we get. My list is notably weaker at 1850 than it is at 2k. Still, I'm confident that I can do fine against Mech Eldar and Nidzilla, which is what I'm expecting in this tournament.

The field:

The tournament is at least a third Mech Eldar. There are some Nidzillas, some Space Marines, and 2 Okrs which are both footslogging green Horde types. Nobody jumps out as someone who will slaughter my list, looks like the metagame has kept the twin-lash Chaos and drop podders out, as neither does incredibly well vs. Mech Eldar.

Round 1: Mech Eldar

Farseer ( Doom)
Autarch on jetbike
Falcon
6 Harlequins
Falcon
6 Harlequins
Falcon
6 Harlequins
3 Guardian Jetbikes w/shuriken cannon

Yo, Mech Eldar, how goes? This player has answered the perpetual question in that list (what do I put in once I've got my tri-falcon harlies) with a zillion tiny scoring units that aren't going to do anything to my guys. They might beat me on table quarters/objectives though.

This player is also one of the guys who knocked me out of the team tournament, so I'm looking for some revenge.

The mission:
Primary: VP's. (Thank the Chaos Gods! Objectives as the primary vs. Mech Eldar is always like pulling teeth)
Secondary: quarters
Tertiary: Get an HQ unit to a spot

The game:

I get lucky and drop a falcon while it's still grounded with a lucky Heavy D shot, get the second one on round 3 through volume of glances and the third on round 4, again honestly. The 2 Harlequin units that get up close wipe out a Necron unit each, but my troops know not to hold and we gun down the space clowns in retribution. He brings up the last harlequins and his jetbike troops in a last ditch effort, but our statline advantage is insurmountable. I get max points for this game.

Game 2:

Non-Mech Eldar!

Farseer w/ Fortune
10 Dire Avengers in Wave Serpent
5 Dire Avengers
3 Jetbikes
4 Wraithguard w/lock in Wave Serpent
4 Wraithguard w/lock in Wave Serpent
5 Fire Dragons in Wave Serpent
Wraithlord w/starcannon, 2 flamers
Wraithlord w/starcannon, 2 flamers
Fire Prism

Well...this is different. Just one holo-tank? Eldar-zilla? It's an odd list, and I'm not quite sure how to proceed. There doesn't look to be anything that can hurt my Immortals all that much though, so I guess the little skimmers will eventually go down. Big D can manhandle his Wraithlords + Avatar, and that ought to be that.

Primary: Linear table quarters (12" deep, 48" wide.), with the far away ones being worth more than the close ones.
Secondary: Vp's
Tertiary: Kill Points (as per 5th ed rumors)

The game:

He gets first turn, goes first and blasts down some Destroyers. They get back up and I return fire, knocking down...ALL 4 Waveserpents. So basically the game is over in the bottom of the first. He's game though, footslogging his guys up the field, but ultimate his Farseer Perils himself to death, and the Deceiver murders his Avatar and starts mulching Wraithguard and he calls it. I lose a point in this game because I can't get at his Fire Prism, and one of the objectives calls for him to have no scoring units left, or contest no quarters or some such.

Game 3:

Orks:
30 boys w/shootas, 3 big shootas, nob w/PK
15 Lootas
15 Lootas
Snikrot and da kommandos, w/burnas
1 Grot Kannon
1 Grot Kannon
3 Grot Kannons

Wow, this is a beastly list. To beat this I need to pass 3 gates. 1, he needs to not grok my list and try and rush the open field. 2. His Lootas need to be unlucky. 3. I need to win first turn. 4. Snikrot needs to stay out till the third turn (4th would be even better) We talk a bit before the game, and he doesn't seem to understand exactly how shooty my list is, so I'm hopeful, but its still such a nightmare game.

The mission:
Primary: Take 3 objectives in the midfield (Dangit! This is my karmic payback for getting Vp's on that first Mech Eldar list)
Secondary: Have more units in the enemy deployment zone (Nuh-uh, as I need first turn to win the midfield battle, and that won't let me boost destroyers into his zone on the last turn)
Tertiary: Win by 925 VP's... the only way anyone is getting this is if he phases me out.

We set up, he's right up on the line for a blitz (Gate 1). I stand so that if the Immortals walk forward we can fire, but even if he walks forward he can't shoot his shootas. I win first turn! (Gate 3!). My army opens fire and we kill roughly 50 orks, obliterating and pretty much clearing our kill zone. He fires with his lootas...at the Deceiver! He still thinks he's going to cross this field! (Gate 2 passed!). The Deceiver takes 4 wounds, and 4 Immortals go down to shoota and cannon fire, but 3 get up. I can see that the one immortal and wounded boss vs. 50 dead boys is demoralizing him. I step my army to the 24" and I've got a choice. If I bring my Destroyers forward, over the Immortal line, they are safe from Snikrot, but the Orks might reach them with a good Waaargh, and the Deceiver's explosion might get a few. I choose (fatefully) to stick with the plan and keep them back. My shooting is a bit worse this round, we finish off unit 2 and break unit 3 at below half, but unit 4 is essentially entirely intact. His round 2 begins...and the game hangs in the balance. Snikrot comes in! Kannon fire finishes off the Deceiver and the Lootas each gun down a destroyer squad. Snikrot and his mob krump the last squad, which finishes off my most effective shooting. The fourth Boys unit abandons the Picketts Charge that has consumed the rest of his army and flees for the furthest objective. On my next turn I countercharge in with my warriors and kill off Snikrot and his Kommandos, but the damage is done. The rest of the game is me trying to make the last boy unit non-scoring, and trying to avoid phaseout due to Loota fire.

He wins primary, we tie secondary and tertiary. That's enough points for him to be overall winner of the invitational tournament.
Old 17 Apr 2008, 17:21   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

And here's my battlerep...

I made the trek (8 hour drive) to Chicago again this year for Adepticon. I greatly enjoy the 40k Team Tournament and have a steady team that I have gone with for the past couple of years. None of us are really overly competitive players and have a tendency to build lists that we enjoy playing rather than lists that are designed to wipe an opposing army off the map, so while we may get stomped pretty hard we typically have a pretty good time As with any other tournament some of the enjoyment comes from meeting new people that are fun to play against. This, of course, is a two edged sword. You also meet people that resemble some kind of anti-social fungus. Luckily the first type seems somewhat more prevalent.

We arrived Friday afternoon early enough to watch the 40k Gladiator Tournament. As stated earlier, this is really not my style of playing but itís fun to watch people build the most broken lists they can come up with and blast each other to smithereens. We also made an effort to stick around a bit on Sunday to check out the Battlefleet Gothic tournament which none of us play but I am interested in. The main event for my group (A Modest ProposalÖ.check for us near the bottom of the roster) is the Team Tournament. As this is really the purpose of this post Iíll dive right in with the Reports. First up, the team rosters. There may be a few minor errors in here as I donít have a copy of my team matesí armies in front of me.

Team Rosters

My Army
Black Templar Space Marines

HQ
Marshal Jump Pack, Power Weapon, Frag Grenades, Meltabombs, Bolt Pistol, Terminator Honors

ELITES
Dreadnought Assault Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers, Drop Pod

TROOPS
Initiates (7) + Neophyte Bolt Pistols/CCW, Power Fist, Flamer
Rhino Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers
Initiates (7) + Neophyte Bolt Pistols/CCW, Power Fist, Meltagun
Rhino Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers
Initiates (7) Bolters, Plasma Cannon, Plasmagun

FAST ATTACK
Assault Squad (6) Jump Packs, Power Fist, 2 Storm Shields, Meltabombs, Frag Grenades

Commentary: I greatly enjoy running this list. The assault squad is a bit pricey but Iíve had excellent luck in the past in both the tank hunting and infantry crushing departments with this squad. The attached Marshal adds some pain and really helps out on those Righteous Zeal moves. I love the Dreadnought and am pretty good at putting him where he can dish out some pain without fear of serious retribution. For some reason that third troop squad always seems blessed with the ability to hold objectives.

Team Mate A
DIY Marines (Dark Salamanders)
Traits: Suffer not the Works of Heretics, Purity Above All, Eye to Eye

HQ
Epistolary Veil of Time, Familiar, Artificer Armor, Force Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Combat Shield

ELITES
Dreadnought Assault Cannon, Storm Bolter, Extra Armor

TROOPS
Scouts (7) Bolt Pistols/CCW
Tactical Squad (10) Bolters, Lascannon, Plasmagun
Apothecary
Tactical Squad (10) Bolters, Lascannon, Plasmagun
Apothecary

FAST ATTACK
Land Speeder Squadron (1) Typhoon Missile Launcher

HEAVY SUPPORT
Devastator Squad (7) 4 Missile Launchers, Tank Hunters

Commentary: Ranged tank busting makes this list somewhat more effective against enemy armor and Monstrous Creatures than my own, though a lack of hidden Power Fists can cause trouble if anything gets close. Iíve seen this list cause serious headaches for lists that donít have enough heavy firepower to get around the apothecaries. Myself, I donít understand the Typhoon Missile Launcher but ďTeam Mate AĒ really seems to like it. Who am I to judge?

Team Mate B
Drop Troop Imperial Guard
Doctrines: Veterans, Ratlings, Drop Troops, Close Order Drill, Sharpshooters

HQ
Junior Officer
4 Guardsmen

ELITES
Veterans (7-10..donít remember) 3 Meltaguns, Combat Shotguns, Frag Grenades
Vet Sarge. Honorifica Imperialis, Power Fist
Ratling Snipers (11)

TROOPS
Platoon 1
Junior Officer
4 Guardsmen
Squad 1 Sharpshooters
Squad 2 Sharpshooters
Squad 3 Sharpshooters

Platoon 2
Junior Officer
4 Guardsmen
Squad 1 Sharpshooters
Squad 2 Sharpshooters

FAST ATTACK
Hellhound

HEAVY SUPPORT
Leman Russ 3x Heavy Bolters

Commentary: I really like Drop Troops, but I had serious doubts about the reliability of Deep Striking Imperial Guard without any special weapons at all in the squads. The practice games we ran against one another showed me that the lasguns could do a bit more damage than I thought, but still not enough to be all that great. This army seemed like it would be good at piling walls of meat around objectives. The ratlings and tanks would provide a good bit of support. This army was not well thought out due to the Adepticon rules allowing each team member to only take one Troops choice. There was one too many infantry platoons in this list. The points would have been better spent elsewhere.

Team Mate C
Heavy Weapon Imperial Guard
Doctrines: Close Order Drill, Drop Troops, Sharpshooters

HQ
Junior Officer
4 Guardsmen

TROOPS
Platoon 1
Junior Officer
4 Guardsmen Missile Launcher

Squad 1 Heavy Bolter, Sharpshooters
Squad 2 Heavy Bolter, Sharpshooters
Squad 3 Autocannon, Sharpshooters
Squad 4 Lascannon, Sharpshooters
Squad 5 Lascannon, Sharpshooters

FAST ATTACK
Hellhound

HEAVY SUPPORT
Leman Russ Hull Lascannon, 2x Heavy Bolters, Extra Armor
Leman Russ Hull Lascannon, 2x Heavy Bolters, Extra Armor

Commentary: A pretty basic Guard list designed to sit back and pound the enemy with heavy weapons fire. Not very mobile, but in a Team game you usually donít have to be as long as your partner can move around a bit. No heavy weapons in the main HQ squad makes it so that an opponent only gets Headhunter points by going after the only harmless unit in the army. Drop Troops appears to have only been taken as a ďJust in CaseĒ doctrine as Iíve never seen it used in this army.

Overall, this gives us two fairly static armies and two very mobile ones. The first thing we run into at the tournament is the painting/theme judging. I was somewhat disappointed in this phase of the process as we got hosed pretty hard by the judges. Iím no professional painter by any means, so I expected to get little in the way of painting points (all the painting in our armies was well done, but none of us are exceptionally talented at advanced techniques). I was surprised to discover, however, that we got tanked on theme. We got a measly two points for an all imperial team with well written fluff (compared to some of the stuff we were handed, anyway). The reason this positively boggles my mind is that we got more points than that with our team last year which included Guard, Marines, Eldar, and Tyranids! I suppose it could be that the judge last year actually asked us about our back story rather than just basing our score around the fact that we did not in fact purchase entirely new armies for the tournament, have identical army lists, wear identical costumes (I play with little plastic army men, but I have my limits!), have a display base that took an entirely unreasonable amount of time and money to put together, or drive all the way to Chicago in a custom built vehicle that exactly resembles a Rhino/Chimera/Spore Mine. Perhaps I exaggerate a bit but two points? Bah!

Anyway, on to the gaming!
Round 1: Light in the Darkness
Rules in Effect: Night Fight for 2 Turns, Infiltrate
Partner: Team Mate A (Apothecary Marines)
Opponent: Nidzilla. This team had two players bringing Nidzilla lists and two players bringing entire Genestealer lists. We were up against two Hive Tyrants with three Tyrant Guards each, 3 Dakkafexes, 3 Sniperfexes, and a couple of handfuls of Genestealers.

Initial Thoughts: This one could be a bit rough. I have three hidden Power Fists, but will have to carefully deploy them to get the best use out of them. My Plasma Cannon and my partnerís Lascannons and Devistator Squad should do very well if properly placed and lucky on the Night Fighting rolls.

Primary Objective: Capture the beacon. A unit is designated by each player to be the model that can capture the objective.
Secondary: 200+ more victory points than the opposing team
Tertiary: Kill units Designated by opponent
Bonus: Table Quarters, No enemy scoring made it halfway across table

Deployment: We deployed to the best of our ability. The Devastators and my Plasma squad all had good vantage points to rain death on the enemy, who pretty much just formed a line across their deployment zone. All of their Genestealers were set to march up the left side of the board, so I deployed both my tactical squads to head them off. Nid players nominate their nearly indestructible Tyrants as the units that can grab the objective. Smart move.

Turn 1: Nids move forward and manage to land a couple of hits from shooting. No large casualties. Genestealers Fleet. I move a Rhino towards one pack of genestealers and manage to block off their best route to our armies. I move the other Rhino to intercept a Fex and pop smoke. My Assault Squad moves up behind cover and prepares to strike next turn. Shooting Phase: Devastators canít shoot due to night fighting, Plasma squad canít shoot, team mateís Dreadnought canít shoot, 1 Lascannon squad canít shoot, other Lascannon squad manages to hit the Genestealers Iím going after at about 22 inches and inflicts a couple of casualties.

Turn 2: All Nids advance on the objective. Good rolls for Night Fighting cripples our Dreadnought and pounds one of my team mateís tactical squads. A glance with a Vehicle Destroyed result forces my second squad out of its Rhino and in a wonderful position to be charged by the second squad of Genestealers. This happens with predictable results. On our turn I hop out of my Rhino near the other Genestealers and cut loose with a flamer (hits the entire squad) and 7 bolt pistols. Only one Genestealer dies. Guess whatís gonna happen nowÖ Horrible night fighting rolls keep the Devastators and Plasma squad from shooting at anything, though the Tactical squads manage to throw a few wounds downfield. My assault squad beat down a Dakkafex and my Dreadnought drop pods in to lay a few shooting wounds on a Tyrantís guards.

Turn 3: More heavy shooting casualties on our side. My assault squad is wiped out by concentrated fire and my Dreadnought gets pounded flat. The big bugs relentlessly advance. Genestealers finish off my first squad that got charged and move into one of my partnerís Tactical squads. The Devastators get caught on the fringe and are locked. My flamer squad gets charged and though it does well at first it ends up getting eaten over the next couple of turns.

Turn 4: No real reason to go on. Theyíve still got everything except one Dakkafex. We donít have a prayer.

Outcome: They end wiping us out to a model. All objectives go to our opponents. I feel we did as well as we could. If not for the two turns of bad rolls on Night Fighting and the freakishly bad rolls against the Genestealers we could have given them a much harder run for their money. Our opponents were good winners and provided us with an enjoyable game even as they stomped our faces in. One of them offered me a beer afterwards. Thereís a man that knows how to get some sportsmanship points.

Team Matesí Game: They fought nothing but Genestealers. With a ton of Guardsmen, three Leman Russes, and two Hellhounds. Even with the Night Fighting they still managed nearly the exact opposite outcome that I had, leaving their opponents with nothing standing but a Broodlord. On to round two.

More to come...
Old 17 Apr 2008, 17:23   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Round 2: Shield Generator Down
Concealment, Infiltrate, Deep Strike

Partner: Team Mate C (Heavy Weapons Guard)
Opponent: Orks. Heavy on the Lootas with some Kustom Force Fields, Zzzap Guns, and Lobbas backing up the Boyz. Both armies have Deffkoptas

Initial Thoughts: Iím a completely at a loss when it comes to the new Ork Codex. I have never even cracked it open, much less become an expert. Iíd had a few experiences with the old codex, so I know how Ork strategy tends to work and have always enjoyed playing against them. My partner is pretty certain that one of our opposing players is a guy from the previous year that was such a jerk that we still make references to him in casual conversations whenever the subject of irrationally emotive idiots comes up. Could be mistaken, though.

Primary: A unit designated as Combat Engineers must end within 6 inches of the objective. No enemy Engineers can be in this space.
Secondary: 200 Victory Points more than the opponent.
Tertiary: Control more area terrain than the opponent.
Bonus: All enemy Troops non-scoring, None of your units are within your deployment zone at the end of the game.

Deployment: The Orks spread out in long lines, filling the entire deployment zone with green bodies. There are over 150 Orks crammed into the space, Lootas to the front. I deploy my Rhinos along opposite board sides in the hopes of reaching their artillery units if a chance presents itself. I donít have any funny ideas about 16 Black Templars vs. 170 or so Orks. My partner lines his heavy weapons and tanks up to start blowing holes in the line as early as possible. Unfortunately for us, the Orks have deployed in long lines and every squad of them on the board have a model within the radius of the Kustom Force fields. This will be problematic. As will the fact that my partner has deployed one of his squads in such a manner that I will either have to force one of his models to move or I will have to ram one of my Rhinos through difficult terrain in order to advance. The Orks both nominate Deffkoptas as their Combat Engineer units for last turn objective grabbing. I nominate my shooty Plasma squad and my partner chooses his platoon leading Junior Officer. We take the first turn with the intent of blasting some Orks before they can advance.

Turn 1: My left Rhino advances into a better defended position and pops smoke. My right Rhino begins what will turn out to be a day-long cascade failure of my beloved Rhinos. I decide to move through difficult terrain so that my partnerís Lascannon can shoot this round. I had less than an inch to move through the cover (just clipping the edge), but it was enough to force a difficult terrain check, which I promptly failed. My shooty squad hunkers down to send Plasma Cannon shots into the horde (they are also only 1 turn of movement away from the objective), and my assault troops wait in the wings to rush in and help clear the objective later. Now the shooting. A volley of heavy weapons, tank shells, and promethium arc across the field, doing surprisingly little damage due mostly to every model on that side of the table having an invulnerable save. Now comes the Ork turn. A few models move around behind the front lines, but nothing advances. ď?!?Ē I think to myself. What theÖ? Then comes the shooting phase. The Loota squads open up with a withering hail of very high strength very long ranged shots. My Rhino that had advance was busted, spilling troops and causing wounds and entanglement. An entire forward squad of Guardsmen vaporizes. A Zzzap gun glances one of the Russes, lobbas kill some guardsmen, and a couple of large templates from the HQs lay waste to our lines.

Turn 2: I dismount from my hung Rhino (which managed to un-hang itself on the last turn) and start charging that squad towards the Ork lines (behind heavy cover, lucky for me). The Russ moves a bit to avoid more pain the next turn and sits to wait until it can shoot again. We put our heads together to try to find a way to avoid any more of those large blast templates and come up with a plan (watch for it!). I jump my assault squad and Marshal right next to the objective (behind cover from all that Ork dakka). The unshaken Russ, Hellhound, and all heavy weapons let fly again, this time doing a bit better damage. I start laying into the Zzzap artillery squad with Plasma Cannon shots and manage to wreck two of them this turn. The Ork turn rolls around and as I had hoped, they couldnít bear to see a Space Marine assault squad near the objective. Two full squads of Boyz broke from the lines and charged in. This is important because one of the squads was the only thing standing in front of the IC with the huge blasty gun. More Ork shooting, more casualties though now all of our stuff is in cover.

Turn 3: My entangled Marines are free now, but I leave them hunkered down behind their wrecked Rhino in order to grab a couple of pieces of handy terrain later. More heavy shots fired into the Orks. My Dreadnought drops in and lays some pain on the back side of one of the Boyz mobs. My assault squad rushes out into the open and charges the 60 or so Boyz, much to their delight. Fortunately for me the Nobz are not positioned well and have to just sit back and hoot menacingly until I can kill off enough Boyz for them to make it into combat. The assault locks up a huge portion of the board right in the middle. We still have plenty of viable shooting targets on the sides, though. On the Ork turn they did some shooting, but were no longer able to bring some of their good stuff to bear. Everybody in the assault was fearless, so it drags onÖ

Turn 4: The plan comes to fruition. The closest legal target to one of our Russes is Mr. Big Gun & Force Field. Blammo! My advancing squad manages to reach the enemy lines and makes contact with a squad of Boyz that has been sent out to keep me away from the Lootas. The Dreadnought makes contact with the Boyz mob he shot at last round and commences the stomping. The assault squad is starting to show some wear, so I move my shooters up to the objective behind where the assault is taking place in hopes of holding the objective. Around this time it becomes clear that we will only have time to play one more round before running out of time. The Ork players rush their Deffkoptas in to edge of the assault surrounding the objective within range to claim it and spread out some of their squads to grab just about every piece of cover on their side of the board.. The Boyz polish off the assault squad and Marshal and consolidate into my Shooty/Combat Engineer Squad. If they can wipe this squad, they win the primary objective. If not, itís a draw.

Turn 5: More shooting. No real effect on the gameís outcome. Realizing that we canít beat them on controlling the cover, I move my squad that was being held in reserve out and manage to shoot one of the Deffkoptas down with bolt pistols. Blows are exchanged during both assault phases and I am left with exactly one marine from my Combat Engineer squad standing.

Outcome: A draw on the primary objective, secondary and tertiary go to the opponents. No bonus points awarded. We got one Headhunter point for that HQ we waxed with the Russ shell and they got one for downing my Marshal. Opponents win, but not by all that much. We were somewhat surprised by the amount of hardcore shooting that came out of these Orks. The Force Fields didnít help us out either.

Team Matesí Game: They did a bit worse than us. They were also caught off guard by all the shooting, and the deep striking Guardsmen were not able to dish out enough damage before being wiped out. Perhaps some flamers would have been beneficial.

Round 3: The Moment of Truth
Deep Strike, Modified Escalation, Unpredictable Objective

Partner: Team Mate A (Drop Troop Guard)
Opponent: Tau. Heavy on Crisis Suits, two squads of Pathfinders, Ionhead, Fire Warriors, one Broadside, and tons and tons and tons of Devilfish. Crisis Suited commanders, no Ethereals.

Initial Thoughts: Lots of direct firepower in this list. The Escalation rules will ensure that heíll have several relatively defenseless units on the table at the beginning of the game, but will be bringing in their big guns in potentially problematic areas for us. Thereís a great deal of cover, so my partnerís beloved strategy of deep striking into cover may be quite beneficial.

Primary: Allied Table Quarters. Table quarters are only captured if both players on a team have a scoring unit there.
Secondary: Capture the Artifact w/HQ
Tertiary: 200+ VP
Bonus: Destroy or break opponentsí highest point unit, have a scoring unit in opponentís deployment zone

Deployment: This goes fast. I deploy my shooty plasma squad exactly six inches from the objective after it finished moving per the ĎUnpredictable Objectiveí rule. They are in cover and have a wonderful field of fire to lay plasma and bolter shells on anything foolish enough to try to run for the objective. My partnerís Ratlings join me in the cover. Our opponents deploy one squad of Pathfinders (without Fish) and one Broadside across the board. Our opponents win the toss up and let us take the first turn.

Turn 1: Nobody moves. I hit the Pathfinders with a plasma blast and they catch some relatively ineffective sniper fire. They respond by marker lighting the Ratlings so that the Broadside can hit them with seeker missiles and deny a good cover save. Casualties ensue. The rats go to ground. Total time for turn one: six minutes.

Turn 2: Taste the Emperorís wrath! My Dreadnought, both of my Rhinos full of Troops, all of my partnerís Officer squads, and the big Infantry Platoon all come rushing in. Dreadnought drops next to the Pathfindersí cover with the Drop Pod between him and the Broadside. Both of my Rhinos come in at the same point and begin charging straight across the board, safely out of anyoneís line of fire. Guardsmen tumble from the skies, grabbing cover left and right. One squad drops right next to the Broadside and my partnerís scoring HQ drops into the most out of the way cover possible. In the shooting phase, my Dreadnought flames and assault cannons the Pathfinders, leaving only two models left both of which are too far into cover for him to see. The Guard squad near the Broadside cuts loose with lasguns and manages to kill his shield drone and put a wound on him. It looked like he was poised to do some more damage next turnÖbut wait! Not if the Drop Podís machine spirit has anything to say about it! What an embarrassing way to go down. It was a proud moment for me. Opponents roll their reserves, getting some Crisis Suits, two Devilfish (one full of Fire Warriors, the other from the Pathfinders), and the Ionhead. The tank opens up and busts open one of my Rhinos right off the bat causing casualties and entanglement. Fire Warriors set up and prepare to fire. One of the Devilfish tries its luck with my Dreadnought and manages to shake it.

Turn 3: Everything else on our side comes in. I bring my assault squad and Marshal in together up the left side of the board in the hopes of scoring some hits on that Crisis Suit squad (containing one HQ). My partnerís veterans land right in the middle of the enemyís main line and wreak havoc. My still mobile Rhino moves another twelve inches and pops smoke. This one is getting pretty close and Iím hoping for some flamer action next round. My Dreadnought charges its Devilfish and fails to connect. Shooting from the Guardsmen does little, but the Russ manages to get a good field of fire and most of the board that is not directly behind cover is within its line of sight. My Plasma Cannon fails to harm the Ionhead. Opponents bring everything else except one Fire Warrior Squad in and hide it all behind cover. Through sheer volume of fire they bring down the other Rhino. Again with the wounds and entanglement. The Ionhead gets some open shots at these newly unprotected marines. The Devilfish hops over my Dreadnought and

Turn 4: I start trying to move my injured marines up, but donít really have a good route. Iíll be taking some fire in the open regardless of what I do. My assault marines move forward but cannot get into assault range with anything, so I hide them as best I can. The Marshal breaks off and gets into position to rush the objective. My shooty squad still hasnít harmed that darn Ionhead. The Russ moves off to help on the left side of the board where the Tau appear to be getting tired of slaughtering Guardsmen. A bad scatter means no dead Crisis Suits. The Ionhead, two Devilfish, and a jump/shoot/jump plasma Crisis squad wipe out one of my squads. Russ gets stunned.

Turn 5: A few more damaging shots against the Tau. Nobody really moves. My second squad gets wiped in a similar fashion as last round. There was nowhere for them to hide, poor guys. Assault squad gets caught out and blasted to ribbons by the second Crisis Squad, also full of plasma. The important thing is that my shooty squad is still at full strength. Iíll be needing it next round.

Turn 6: Final turn. Allied table quarters are pretty much shot for us. Theyíve got a good shot at it. At least I can mess the secondary objective up for them. I jump my Marshal in within six inches of the objective and within 2 inches of my shooty squad and join up. This gives him the advantage of a cover save and 7 extra wounds. The Tau canít possibly destroy that with one turn of shooting. Now comes my moment of greatest humiliation. I fire my Plasma Cannon one more time at that stupid Ionhead to further lessen the damage that Iíll be taking. It gets hot. The gunner dies. Thatís a shooting casualty, which forces a Righteous Zeal check. My entire squad, Marshal included, storms angrily out of cover and into the open. Where they are cut down to a man by the Tau Ion/Plasma storm. Itís pretty hilarious now that I look back at it, but it was bitterly disappointing at the time.

Outcome: Victory for our opponents. They had the primary and got the secondary whenever the dice gods turned their backs on me. How funny, that particular kill also got them headhunter points and just enough VPís for the tertiary objective. We walked away with one measly bonus point. It was a pretty fun game, though, and one that Iíll be telling stories about for some time to come.

Team Matesí Outcome: They did better than us. It was a pretty even game. High point: A non-scattering Russ shell wiped out an entire Crisis Suit squad.

Still more to come...
Old 17 Apr 2008, 17:28   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Round 4: Warp Void
Marked For Death (pick two opposing units to be worth double their normal victory points)

Partner: Same as last game. Drop guard. Except no Deep Strike in this mission.

Opponent: Marines. This appears to be a very fluff oriented list. Scout snipers, a couple of Dreadnoughts followed by a servo harnessed Techmarine, two Force Commanders, several Tactical squads with heavy weapons, a Whirlwind, a Landspeeder, some Bikes, and a Devistator squad full of Heavy Bolters.

Initial Thoughts: Thereís a LOT of power armored bodies over there and no shortage of heavy weapons. The deployment is strange in this scenario, with diagonal deployment zones and strange rules that weíll cover in a minute. Both teams have an ĎArtifact Carrying Unití that really messes up psykers and daemons. Neither side has either of these. Itís all down to how quickly I can get to grips with the enemy and stop the shooting.

Primary: Most Kill Points
Secondary: Table Quarters
Tertiary: 1601+ VP
Bonus: All enemy troops non-scoring, Scoring unit inside opponentís deployment zone.

Deployment: We deploy first. We have to deploy our entire army then declare whether we will take the first or second turn. Our opponent then deploys their entire army. We choose second turn and pack all of our stuff as much behind terrain as possible. We mark our enemiesí more expensive Force Commander for death as well as one of the two Dreadnoughts. My Dreadnought and my partnerís Hellhound are similarly marked.

Turn 1: Enemy bikers rush forward along right side of the board along with the Landspeeder. A pair of assault cannon Dreadnoughts start closing in on the left. Everything else stands still and shoots. The Devastators are blocked off by one of my Rhinos and canít hit anything. The Whirlwind cooks a ton of Guardsmen. Other heavy weapons mow down more Guardsmen and a missile launcher tags the tail end of one of my Rhinos, scoring a penetrating hit that only shakes the driver. We are so closely packed around it that two of the eight occupants die on bailing out. Doing great with these Rhinos today, but wait for itÖit gets even better. Scout snipers pin the Ratlings. On our turn I reload the Rhino and charge it 12 inches up the right side of the table. I go ahead and pop smoke, knowing that itís a great target. I also advance my assault squad/Marshal combo hoping to get in touch with the Bikers that are advancing more rapidly than the rest of the enemy army. I canít make it until next turn, so I will have to weather a round of hits from the Devastators. Not a problem, thinks I. My other Rhino charges up the left side of the board and pops smoke. Perfect cover for advancing Guardsmen. The Hellhound advances straight up the left side of the board under cover. During the shooting phase, the very first Battlecannon shell of the game Ordnance Penetrates the Dreadnought we had marked for death. The blast also turned the Techmarine into paste (hurts to fail that 2+ artificer save). My Cannon Marine sticks his gun in his pants and pulls the trigger again, though this time the Righteous Zeal move doesnít lose me the game.

Turn 2: Enemy bikers and the remaining Dreadnought advance again, the Dreadnought going into the tableís central cover ruins. He has his eye on my left Rhino, I can smell it. Everything lets fly with heavy weapons again, though this time the Ratlings are blocked from his scouts by my right Rhino. The Whirlwind kills more Guardsmen, the bikers do nothing shooting at my Assault squad, and the scouts sit there looking depressed. The Landspeeder zips in and starts mowing down Guard Officer squads which are hidden in the woods in a corner of the board. Every heavy weapon besides the Devastators (more on these guys laterÖ) blasts away at my Rhinos. BOTH of them end up getting glancing destroyed results. The already damaged squad on the right bails out yet again (man, what a day for those guys!) taking still more wounds. Theyíre now non-scoring and have never come under direct fire in any way. The squad on the left bails out on the opposite side from my opponentsí Dreadnought, denying him his tasty prize. In fact, thereís nothing he can charge at all. The Devastator squad full of heavy bolters lets fly at my Assault squad and kills every single marine with the exception of my Marshal. Unbelievable! Things are looking just a bit bleak. On our turn, I move the Marshal into position to charge the bikers. At least I hope I can take a few down with me. The Hellhound continues its advance and all of the Guardsmen on the board except for one squad (to hold the table quarter) advance. My Dreadnought shows up this turn and drops down behind the scouts with the Drop Pod between him and most of the armyís heavy weapons. His heavy flamer and assault cannon wipe the scouts to a man. I immobilize the enemy Dreadnought with the plasmagun from my shooty squad. The Russ cuts loose and manages to scatter a shot into a tightly packed squad that was behind cover. Heavy casualties ensue. And there was great rejoicing. I charge the bikers with my Marshal, inflicting one casualty and taking none in return.

Turn 3: More heavy weapons fire from our enemy. They throw everything they can at my Dreadnought inflicting 3 shaken results (yay extra armor!) and blowing off one weapon. They very foolishly choose the assault cannon. Two of my Initiates die, but no big loss. In the assault phase, my Marshal gets a burst of adrenaline and kills two more bikers. The remaining one runs like a coward and gets away. Our Turn. My Marshal jumps into position to charge the closest enemy Tactical Squad. My Dreadnought lumbers into the soft underbelly of the enemy army. The Hellhound pops around cover at the back of the board. Guardsmen close to rapid fire range against one squad. I swing one of my Initiate squads around to face the crippled enemy Dreadnought so the hidden power fists can do some explaining to him. The other squad foot slogs it towards the center of the board and the front lines of the enemy tactical squads. The Hellhound fires off its promethium blast at the Whirlwind and manages to catch a few from a Tactical squad under the template as well. Two casualties to the Tac squad and nothing to the Whirlwind. Until the Hellhound peppers the Whirlwind with its heavy bolter and manages to get a weapon destroyed, that is. How embarrassing. Guardsmen do a few casualties and I manage to shake the Landspeeder with my shooters. The Initiate squad mentioned above charges in, takes one casualty, and promptly breaks the Dreadnought CCW off of our immobilized friend. Itís all over but the crying for him. I charge with my Marshal inflicting light casualties on the target squad and with my Dreadnought, crushing three marines of the five man squad. For some reason they decide to stick around and fight. This may be a good time to mention that his troop squads are pretty densely packed and thereís not a single hidden power fist in the armyÖ

Turn 4: Opponents fire away like crazy at the Hellhound (double victory points, remember?) Surprisingly, it doesnít even get shaken despite the fact that it sucks up 5 heavy weapon hits or so. A few shots go into the advancing guardsmen and marines with little effect. The assault phase brings nothing but pain for our enemies. My Dreadnought finishes off his squad (angry about that assault cannon and all) and sweeps into another. My Marshal fights on, taking no wounds and I manage another weapon destroyed against the Dreadnought.. On our turn we get a solid hit from the Russ and a few more deaths from the Hellhound. The Russ wipes out the squad I was going after with my Initiates and I find myself with a fairly open run to the two Force Commanders cowering behind some cover. I change my plans. My shooty squad knocks the assault cannon off of the Landspeeder. In the assault phase there is more havoc from the Dreadnought and Marshal, but no squads are wiped out and nothing runs away.

Turn 5: Pretty much everything with guns in the opposing army has nothing to shoot at except for a few unengaged guys that can plink at the Hellhound. They finally manage to break the thing. My Marshal kills everything in his target squad except for one model in the opponentsí assault phase and my Dreadnought finishes his guys off and lumbers into yet another squad (one of the only two left). Their Force Commanders charge into my forward Initiate squad and deal light casualties only to have the smaller of the two Commanders catch instant-death from my power fist. On our turn, the Russ really doesnít have a good target. It scattered and took out one marine. My shooty squad immobilized the Landspeeder, which had not moved last turn and so didnít blow up. A ĎGets Hotí roll takes out my plasma gunner. My Initiates finally destroy the Dreadnought and the Marshal kills his remaining guy. This leaves him the only target of the enemy Devastators next round. My Dreadnought pounds on. I fail to wound the other Force Commander in my assault phase and take a couple of more casualties.

Turn 6: No moving. The Devastators gleefully unleash a torrent of fire on the Marshal. Tons of hits. Tons of wounds. Tons of armor saves. Only one wound sticks. The disappointment was absolutely hanging in the air. The game is over at this point. I dispatch the other Force Commander during the enemy assault phase and charge the Devastators with my Marshal on ours but am not able to do enough damage to make them non-scoring.

Outcome: We got every objective except for Tertiary and got darn close to that. Itís been a while since Iíve played a game where I was able to so decisively turn the tables on an opponent. The enemy list could have certainly been more competitive, and thatís coming from a guy that couldnít care much less whether he wins or loses. I was proud of my Marshal and Dreadnought, both of which earned many times over their points costs back and managed to tie up key portions of the enemy army.

Team Matesí Game: They also did very well, but not as much of a hosing as we gave our opponents. I did not pay all that much attention as it was now almost 10:00 PM and that $12 ham sandwich that Iíd had for lunch (seriouslyÖ.$12? Does it sing and dance?) was not going to hold out much longer. We all shook hands and A Modest Proposal went out for a merry round of beer and hamburgers.

All in all, it was a blast. As I said we didnít place all that high on the final list, but we didnít really come to win. We came to have fun.

Whew, glad that's over