Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Painting
View Poll Results: What percentage of your models are painted?
100% 16 15.38%
75% 32 30.77%
50% 17 16.35%
25% 27 25.96%
What's paint? 12 11.54%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09 Apr 2008, 16:59   #21 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Painting

it take me about 6 months to paint 2000 points in my spare time. However if its a hoard army this can double. You have to motivate yourself in a rewards fashion. Dont paint all your cool stuff first or you have nothinf to look forward to. Eat your veggies before you get dessert.
Old 09 Apr 2008, 17:08   #22 (permalink)
Shas'O

Actually, yeah, that's been my recent motivation. I won't buy a new unit (but I will buy codices) and I start with cool, do boring in the middle, and finish with the really, really cool in the end. That way the last unit (in theory) looks the best. ;D
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2008, 17:12   #23 (permalink)
Shas'El

its taken me near 2 years to buy, build and paint a 3000 point force, and i'm still not finished
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2008, 09:57   #24 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Jerry

The main reason I probably lack in speed of painting is probably the face that it takes my around 30 minutes to complete one miniature!
Wow.
I haven't even finished painting my 'battle for skull pass' set, since those dwarfs take like 40 minutes to paint (at my quality), although each goblin only took around 10 minutes each.

I would think my models that I have painted are pretty 'up to touch', I mean if you spent 30 minutes painting a miner, it'll be pretty hard to make any mistakes even if you tried.
I think, the only down side of my painting would almost definitely be the dwarf eyes.
I painted the eyes snake bite leather, the skin; obviously dwarf flesh, I noticed that the eyes really didn't stand out on the model. They look like somewhat like a blur of brown where the eyes are.

Damn straight.......
Although a Pulse Rifle really helps you know.....
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2008, 10:13   #25 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Commissar_Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
Well, my Tau are about 90% painted, my marines about 60%, and I've got 2 guardsmen done in my new scheme

I was getting along fairly quickly, about 2 or 3 models a week, but then my forge world stuff came in. And I realized that I was simply not worthy to paint such detailed and amazing models. So I've been spending ridiculous amounts of time on each infantryman, trying to make them as perfect as possible in preparation for the Forge World guys.
Know how you feel, Geeky - when I got my Malcador from FW, I was too scared to lay a brush to the thing for about 6 months! I was just too scared of messing up the white...glad I waited though, I doubt Id've been able to do it justice back then.

As for my armies - my Ultramarines have 4 out of 6 vehicles painted, 11 painted and half-painted Tactical marines out of 30 men, the only people painted in my 10-man Assault Squad are the Sarge and attatched Chaplain, I've painted 2 out of 5 Termies (4 Termies since I lost the Assault Cannon guy), I've painted my Master, all of my 5 sniper scouts are painted, and I've painted about half of the Command Squad that I'll probably never use due to it being such a massive useless point sink. As for the IG, I've painted most of what I've got save for a few troops, but I'm still building the army up as I only currently own a fraction of what will be a 100+ man 2000 pts army. Also, I want to strip a couple of my tanks due to their sinfully horrible paintjobs.

So, overall, I'd say I'm about 50% done - would be more, but the SMs drag it down a bit. And that's after about 3.5 years of hobbying - I don't get a lot of time to paint, and I'm horribly slow - one mini usually takes two days for me to paint, at about 1 hour a day of painting.

My Space Marine project log
Commissar_Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2008, 02:40   #26 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I said 100% because the only thing i have for my Tau is a squad of Fire Warriors that i just finished up ;D

On a serious note though, my Space Wolf army is fully painted but it's certainly not the level of quality that i aspire to now. I think it's hard to get things painted when you only have one army because alot of begginers get turned off by their very first paint jobs ( i know i was) and prefer to play the actual game more so than paint their models. Since i already have one mediocre army to play with while i'm building up my Tau i'm trying to really take my time with this army and do a quality paint job. One thing i've forced myself to do to try and stay motivated with my painting is to not purchase anything until i've painted the previous unit. This isn't a very effective strategy for someone starting their first army because they want to get out there and play but it seems like it's the only thing i can do to motivate myself to keep on painting.
NEO_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2008, 04:43   #27 (permalink)
Shas'O

bout 25%. I suffer from an inability to paint both fast and well...and I'd rather have it done well. Assembly, on the other hand, is something I do very fast and rather well. I feel quite comfortable building a unit, including conversions, in under an hour. Metal, plastic, resin, whatever. I once partook in an all night 3k building competition...I got six hours of sleep after finishing. This happened 6-8 months ago, and the majority of those models are still grey.

The exception is the spray and dip necrons. Fastest army painting ever.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2008, 05:02   #28 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
What is your technique? I have black ink and I wanted to paint them like they were made of ceramics, so I'd be using an off-white on a black base. But how do you dip them?
Old 11 Apr 2008, 05:28   #29 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Well of the 12000 points or something I have...

maybe 2000 points is painted? And not just of one army either :P
Old 11 Apr 2008, 13:03   #30 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norn Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
What is your technique? I have black ink and I wanted to paint them like they were made of ceramics, so I'd be using an off-white on a black base. But how do you dip them?
1. Spray with chrome spray paint.
2. mix black ink and water about 50/50, perhaps a bit more water. Add in a dab of hardcoat.
3. Dip away.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote