Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Frightening Prices
Closed Thread
Old 04 Apr 2008, 00:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Frightening Prices

At the independent store i go to, I have seen many kids come in, interested in the 40k concept, and take one look at the prices and decide that they aren't going to do it.

"All of that money for one squad of chaos space marines?", they say. They would get into it if they had disposable income, but they don't. On top of this, their parents are also frightened by the prices, and refuse to let them get into it. One case was a 13 year old who had saved up a bunch of money and wanted to buy the battle for macragge. His dad absolutely refused to let him get into it.

I know many of us decry children getting into the game, "They barely paint their armies". "They cry and whine when they lose." But lets face it, no one lasts forever. And when the vets are gone, we'll need newbies to become vets. But if fewer and fewer newbies start, this hobby will dry up.

What are your opinions?
What's visual basic?
What's a check box..
WHERE AM I
OH JESUS LET ME OUT!
Old 04 Apr 2008, 00:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Frightening Prices

I have to agree with what your saying, even to a greater extent because GW doesn't know how to read a news paper. The dollar is at par, but we (canadians) get shafted on their rates. A $20 model in the US can cost $30 plus here. It's just really annoying.

Quote:
Peek a boo, I steal from you. -Homer Simpson
Quote:
Ah uh ahhhhh!
Can't touch me! Can't touch me!
Ju...ju...ju...ju...just like the bad guy from Lethal Weapon 2
I've got diplomatic imunity so Hammer you can't sue...- Peter Griffin
Old 04 Apr 2008, 00:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Meh, bah, whatever. Honestly, I don't care and I don't think it's an issue. I've been in this hobby for over 10 years now. Ever since I started, people have been whining and fretting about the "graying" of the hobby. That's a bunch of rubbish. The truth is that there are more kids, more minorities and more women wargaming (in general) now than there were 10 years ago.

The computer industry is a double edged sword. In one sense it's competition against physical wargaming - but in the other sense, games like Age of Empires or Dawn of War give players a taste of wargaming and can get them into the hobby.

Are the prices high? Yep. But they are with any quality wargaming miniatures. Do kids and noobs whine? Sure do. But they'll get over it or get out of the hobby. As for unpainted lead, well, we all have it, don't we?

While I certainly understand your concerns, I don't think they're founded. This hobby has been around longer than I have and I'm sure it will still be around when I'm gone.

Just my $.02.
Old 04 Apr 2008, 01:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to YakmastermaxIG

I agree the prices are high but i believe that it is not a problem. it is a good filter in actuality that keeps non commitable people from starting the hobby.

true the veteran generation will eventual peel off, and new younger players will be needed but that is not really a problem as there is a pretty strong group of young veterans, at least in my GW. kids that paint as well as the adults and taht have been playing 4 years and upwards.
"Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

"due to my retardivity" - myself

"never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to thier level, and beat you with experience"
Old 04 Apr 2008, 01:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

My main gripe with GW is their conversion rates. I agree the miniatures game is good and the minis themselves are of good quality. I am not saying to have a price drop but at least make the prices somewhat close to par.

Quote:
Quote:
Ah uh ahhhhh!
Old 04 Apr 2008, 01:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

The rates are ridiculous, box sets in the US that are around $100, is $130+ here in Canada.

But lucky me i'm pretty much done building my army except for those few suits i need to get.
Old 04 Apr 2008, 03:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblader
My main gripe with GW is their conversion rates. I agree the miniatures game is good and the minis themselves are of good quality. I am not saying to have a price drop but at least make the prices somewhat close to par.
You have to consider that when they set those prices and sold the product, prices were different. To put the prices at par now would cut into profit margins.
What's visual basic?
What's a check box..
WHERE AM I
OH JESUS LET ME OUT!
Old 04 Apr 2008, 03:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yes, I understand that, but eventually they should be able to bring prices to par, shouldn't they?

Quote:
Quote:
Ah uh ahhhhh!
Old 04 Apr 2008, 03:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Brass Claw

the rate should be on par by next quarter or too, at least that what they should do. The reason why they aren't set now is because of risk. The US dollar might spike or the Canada might drop like a stone, GW doesn't want to risk it.

In the mean time, Start shopping on line and use the American website, yes they do ship to Canada on the American site, this is what I'm doing for my next batch of models.
Old 04 Apr 2008, 04:33   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I've noticed their seems to be more available on the UK sight than whats on the American site, do they ship here?
Closed Thread