Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Multi-templets on squad
Old 01 Apr 2008, 14:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Multi-templets on squad

Sorry if this has been asked before. I looked through a few pages and did not see it. So here goes.

Squad A is firing 4 plasma Cannons into squad B. All cannons hit. What is the proper order of events.

a) Try to place all templetes on the squad while trying not to overlap templetes.

b) Place one templete and determine number of partial hits, and roll this number 4 times.

c) Place one templete and resolve all partials and wounds, then place second templete to determine new number of partial hits.... and repeat until all templetes have been resolved.

d) Some other method.

I what to ask now, because I am about to build a Dev squad with 4 Plasma Cannons, and I want to resolve any issues before they come up.

Thanks and I look forward to the discussion.
JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2008, 14:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Multi-templets on squad

I'm fairly certain that both A and B are acceptable, with B being the more common. I don't have a rules reference handy though.
Old 01 Apr 2008, 14:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Yeah it's a or b,

I think it's meant to be A as shooting is all done at same time :P

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2008, 15:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

I say place all the templates however you feel, and then count for each template individually.

Course, this could be difficult if you only have one template; so you could do it in series too.

However you do it, just be sure to determine hits before rolling to wound.

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2008, 16:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think it's actually c). Templates are one of those rare exceptions to the "all shooting from a unit is simultaneous" rule. It seems GW doesn't think we're capable of basic multiplication*

*The old havoc launcher (2 shots) placed the template and multiplied the number of hits by the blast by the number of missiles that hit. The locals tended to use this method for dealing with multiple blasts as it was simple and kept the game moving quickly.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2008, 17:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
I think it's actually c).
I agree, because they are different guns and different pieplates.

I imagine you should just clarify with an opponent, like "if multiple templates from the same kind of weapon hit, do we roll all under one template or repeat the templating procedure X times?"
Old 01 Apr 2008, 17:15   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

It is C. It actually makes template weapons less effective, since your opponent will remove casualties to reduce the number of hits from subsequent templates. Just make sure your opponent is not taking models out of coherency in order to do this.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2008, 17:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
It is C. It actually makes template weapons less effective, since your opponent will remove casualties to reduce the number of hits from subsequent templates. Just make sure your opponent is not taking models out of coherency in order to do this.
Do you have a rules quote for that? I'm fairly certain that all shooting from a single unit is resolved simultaneously. C could be an option, so long as you didn't remove casualties before you placed the next template. If you were to conduct the shooting phase as you suggest you could wind up with the following scenario:

Squad of 9 bolter marines and a bolt pistol sergeant fire at a unit that has one model at 12" away, and the rest of the unit is 13" or more away. You would have to resolve each shot individually, and if you started with a bolter and killed a model, then your opponent could remove the model within bolt pistol range, thus negating your bolt pistol shot.
Old 01 Apr 2008, 18:02   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Just look in the main rulebook under "multiple blasts". It is in the Special Weapons Characteristics section. You have to fully resolve the casualties from each blast, including the removal of models, before moving on to the next one.

It is a unique rule that only applies when you use multiple templates. If you had a single template weapon and a bunch of regular weapons, or regular weapons with multiple ranges, you would figure out the number of hits first. So your scenario would not happen because none of those are blast weapons.

It also applies to template weapons, as described further down in the same section.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2008, 18:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer 40,000 Rulebook, page 30, column 2, Special Weapon Characteristics, Multiple Blasts
If a unit is firing multiple blast weapons, just place one marker after another, resolving the casualties from each blast before you place the next.
Hope this helps!
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote