Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need help with a quick special character question...
Old 21 Mar 2008, 15:56   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Need help with a quick special character question...

Alright, I stopped playing at the end of 2nd edition and a few months ago on a whim I bout a tau army and have been playing regularly ever since. The only few games I've lost have been against armies with these 300 point heroes with retarded dicey powers. I could of sworn there was a 1500 point restriction on special character use, but since I'm not buying a rule book until 5th it would be great if you guys could clarify this for me.

Now, I did check my tau codex, and all of their characters have the point restriction that I'm talking about. But, all the cheesy heroes I'm talking about were chaos or SM, so perhaps they have different rules...

If I'm right, and the 1500 point restriction is universal than the few games I've lost would have been against illegal armies (as all the games I've played have been 1300 or 1400 points), so I would strike them from my record making it perfect! What is the verdict people?
DanielSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2008, 16:08   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Need help with a quick special character question...

The 1500 pt special character rule, seem to be being used less and less with the newer codex books.
Its totally absent in both the recent Dark Angels and Blood angels marine codexs (or whatever the plural of codex is). Its absent in the Ork dex as well.

Cant speak for any of the other newer dexs since i havent seen them yet but the 'special character' in 1500 pt and over only rule seems to be disappearing rapidly
atherus shadowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2008, 16:13   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Wow, that is kinda lame. I don't care for special characters, but I guess I'm in the minority. Do players you guys game with like to use them a lot?
DanielSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2008, 16:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ever since the new DA codex came out and gained popularity in my local area....every DA army I face normally carries that special librarian in it. The basis of the new system where there is no point restriction is that (they claim) the point cost of the character is balanced to other armies so they removed any restrictions such as point limit and opponent permission.

But you don't want to know what he does with his left...
Twiggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2008, 16:54   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Personally, I don't care for special characters, because:

a) I like to create my own characters, and give them their own story
b) it's weird when 3000 other people around the world play that character too, I thought there was only one of them?

I haven't faced any yet, but I'd like to think their points balance them out.
justinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2008, 17:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

The "1.500 point"-rule is dependant on the special character in question. In the old Tyranid dex, a certain special character could only be fielded in armies SMALLER than 1.500 points, and so on; so it is far from universal.

Sadly, the proliferation of special characters is a newer problem - earlier on, most special characters could only be fielded with expressive consent of the opponent, which has been dropped.

In my gaming group, we have a more-or-less unspoken agreement that special characters are frowned upon; and we literally never use them, so IŽd suggest you talk to your friends, and tell them that it just isn`t fun getting steamrolled by a 300+ point character in a 1k game (I imagine that especially Shrike or Abaddon can be a pain in the ass).

If they still want to field their special characters, just field two or three Helios (FB, BR, MT) or Burning Eye (TL PR, TA) - they`ll teach your friends Commander a quick lesson in pain... >

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2008, 20:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If your up on the new dex's and rules changes you will notice there are no longer any special characters. ther are simply named characters.

In point of fact they removing or restricting access to armories to such an extent that you cannot really design your own character in such a way that he is better than the named ones for the points(or if it is even possible anymore).

As with the old "special character" rule. points restrictions for using them are also being removed.

While some of you may "frown" on people using them. in certain lists they are in fact required to make the army viable or even legall to use.

Quote:
every DA army I face normally carries that special librarian in it.
???
Why? DA librarians suck the most now. the power sets are random or innefective and even taking ol' ezekiel to get a LD 10 hood in the force doesn't make up for the fact his craptastic "special" power mindworm only has like a 9% chance of success and its treated as a heavy weapon.
The only 2 named characters in the dex worth taking on thier own merits are sammael and azrael. you only take belial because he is required for deathwing armies, but he is lackluster at best as a named character.
Old 22 Mar 2008, 03:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, Ol'Zeke did successfully take out my high end Chappy once with mind worm. But I do agree with you, mughi3...he's really not a useful character. I really can't say why they love to use him.

But you don't want to know what he does with his left...
Twiggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2008, 03:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Chars need to be rebalanced...some rock, some are pretty lame.

For example, the BA char Tycho is pretty bad. A captain with a meltagun and a chainsword for over a hundred points is pretty weak. His special rule? Preferred Enemy: Orks. Thats it.

Brother Captain Stern is expensive as heck, too. His special rule helps the enemy more than you, and what's more, his statline is pretty weak. Almost 150 pts for a char with only two wounds is kinda rough.

Oh, and let's not forget the space pope. Thats one overpointed HQ right there that borders on useless.

Then you have the characters that can single handedly change the flow of the game. Ethelrad(sp?), the eldar psyker that EVERYONE uses, for example. Annoying as heck, and basically supports your entire army rather well. Tiberius, who can drop pod in, and level half of an infantry guard or tau army by himself. Heck, even the deceiver is insane in many ways. Certainly a game changer, though arguably, his cost helps compensate for it, and at least he's reasonably slow.

I won't say they're all broken, but there are certainly a few that need to be looked at.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2008, 16:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

All the newer codexes released have no restrictions on Named characters, other than not having more than one per army. So the Eldar, Dark Angels, Chaos, Orks and Blood Angels books.

This is good in my opinion. Before special characters weren't really all that special, but with the removal of armouries these individuals really stand out a whole lot now. Some of them are powerful, some less so, but all of them are really cool.

I find it silly when people don't want to use special characters, because they're losing out on a valuable tool that is available for building their lists.

Also the army I field must be led by a special character, or I can't actually use it!

Which characters in particular are giving you trouble, if you tell us that we can help you work out some ways to counter them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote