Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Converted Weapon Question
Old 18 Mar 2008, 13:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Converted Weapon Question

Recently I played a game where my opponent used a Chimera as a transport for his Inquisitor and Retinue. He had modified the Lasguns into a single turret mounted over the top fire-point. He said that it was a "Gatling-Las" that counted as 6 Lasrifles and had a 360 degree fire arc (since he could rotate the turret).

Now my question is this: Because he modeled his weapons in such a way, is he allowed, by the rules, to use them as such, or does this only represent the Lasguns and he still is required to use them as the rules state? Does how you model a weapon on a vehicle change where it can fire, or can they only fire the way they were origionally intended?

On a related note, he said that the Lasguns could fire even without passengers being in the Chimera. I have the Armeggedon Codex, and I showed him where it said that passengers fire the lasguns, but he said that since it isn't in the Daemonhunters Codex and it is a MRP, that the rule is not in effect for his Chimera.

I've always played by with a mix (read: both) of the Armeggedon and Daemonhunters rules for the Chimera, but am I mistaken? Can the Chimera fire its own lasguns now? Or was my opponent just desperate for more shots?

"I've always loved being the center of attention, when that didn't involve incoming fire." --Ciaphas Cain, Hero of the Imperium--
O Vioanoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2008, 13:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler
Default Re: Converted Weapon Question

I believe its the latter. I don't recall the Chimera entry in the Daemonhunters codex actually having lasguns, come to think of it, though I may be wrong about that...

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2008, 14:03   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

As to the turret, no he cannot fire 360. Kudos to him for making a (presumably) cool conversion, but they must still follow the rules for fire arcs, which is 3 per side with a 180 degree arc.

As for the lasguns, the ruling is that they are fired by the passengers inside. No one inside, no lasguns firing.

I hope the conversion looks cool, because otherwise it was a massive waste of time, simply to try and get extra shots (although they are only flashlights...)

Don't forget as well, that people can fire from the top hatch (can't remember how many) but if they are not wearing power armour, it counts as open topped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2008, 14:41   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
As to the turret, no he cannot fire 360. Kudos to him for making a (presumably) cool conversion, but they must still follow the rules for fire arcs, which is 3 per side with a 180 degree arc.
Indeed, rules are rules.

[hr]

But it brings up another point - what do you do about vehicles that need to be converted?? Ork battle wagons need to be built from whatever is lying around and we can add a multitude of weapons.

Do we assume that the weapons are automatically forward facing? Or does it go by the model or what?
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2008, 15:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

Quote:
Don't forget as well, that people can fire from the top hatch (can't remember how many) but if they are not wearing power armour, it counts as open topped.
Sorry to go off on a minor tangent, but every rule about vehicles being open-topped unless there's power armour involved makes me want to giggle. Apparently, a Rhino with a Techmarine shooting out the top hatch would be open-topped, because he's wearing artificer armour rather than power armour. :P

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2008, 16:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
I hope the conversion looks cool, because otherwise it was a massive waste of time, simply to try and get extra shots (although they are only flashlights...)
It wasn't a bad conversion (just a little bulky) it looked a little like the THEL Anti-Missile System, only instead of a giant laser, it was a dreadnought assault cannon with the small barrel cut off and a lasgun barrel aligned with each of the 6 rotary barrels.

THEL
http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/msnbc/C...30p.hlarge.jpg

It looked similar to that, but the the 'turret' went only half of the way around.

Thanks everyone for clearing that up, I was wanting to steal his idea because I like to convert my vehicles and it was an interesting idea, I just wanted to know the standing on the rules so there would be no rule breaking/bending on my part.

"I've always loved being the center of attention, when that didn't involve incoming fire." --Ciaphas Cain, Hero of the Imperium--
O Vioanoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2008, 16:29   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Sounds like it looks cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
Quote:
Sorry to go off on a minor tangent, but every rule about vehicles being open-topped unless there's power armour involved makes me want to giggle. Apparently, a Rhino with a Techmarine shooting out the top hatch would be open-topped, because he's wearing artificer armour rather than power armour. :P
I usually just roll my eyes, as its sheer marine faggotry at its finest. Hell, it was only designed to give them a boost.

Quote:
Old 19 Mar 2008, 15:26   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I thought the rule was that vehicles are opened topped if the majority of the troops in the vehicle have an armour save of 4,5 or 6.
asianavatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2008, 15:34   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

I believe it only affects the firer, but I would have to check on that.
There's a very good chance you're right

Quote: