Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I know this is frowned upon, but...
Old 16 Mar 2008, 11:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler
Default I know this is frowned upon, but...

I need help thinking about a possible second army. I'm comfortable with my Tau and whenever I get enough money again I'm going to start another project, but I'm torn...

Dark Eldar were my second choice, but I've been a little more than turned off by how GW has seemingly all but abandoned them. Their section in the online store has been getting smaller and smaller and, after the recent rumor of "new" DE sculpts at GD Spain proving to instead be old unused sculpts, I'm wondering if any purchase in the near future would just be a waste of money (and how rare a thing it is for me to have money anymore, I can't really afford to make a mistake like that). For some reason I can't explain I'm just drawn to them and really want to start them up, but only if GW will support them. And if they Squat them I'm likely to stop collecting altogether in protest, which would mean I wouldn't be collecting a second army period. :P

I've been looking at Sisters of Battle, but not really sure if they're for me. They're not an army you see very often, and the models look awesome with good paintjobs, but on the whole I'm just "yeah" about them.

I had actually started a decent Chaos collection, but sold everything minus an assembled terminator lord to my brother so he can get a decent army to play against mine. Personally I'm a bit sick of them at this point, not to mention constantly annoyed and (rightfully) sickened at how my brother has chosen Nurgle, but downright refuses to use any actual Nurgle models in his army. "Plaguebearers look dumb, they look like oafs...the GUO (even the FW one, wtf?!) looks like crap, he looks like Oogie Boogie...". He finally bought the actual demon prince of Nurgle model today when we went to a Magic tournament (my first one, played a bunch of awesome games and lost horribly, but still), but his major plan with that model seems to be "tear the arm off my other prince and use the Nurgle one", which means he spent $27 for a sword arm. I simply don't understand how you can be drawn to Nurgle in the first place if the models look that terrible to you. And some of his ideas would surely piss off a few people here...he's wanting "Nurgle" bloodletters, basically green and yellow bloodletters with some GW boils. He's suggested buying a Tyranid hierophant, possibly one of the hardest models to assemble from FW and quite expensive, as a counts-as Nurgle GD. He's even suggested buying daemonettes and sculpting bloated bellies and other nasty things on them (don't hurt him Silk, he knows not what he does ;D).

Tyranids were one of my original choices before deciding on Tau, and I already own a couple boxes of gaunts, genestealers, and an assembled carnifex and zoanthrope, but somehow I think I lost interest. The models are awesome and I still want a hive tyrant just because, but I can't imagine fielding, let alone painting a horde like that...I'm having a hard enough time getting motivated to paint my Tau.

Which leads me, finally, back to Space Marines, which I did buy a crap-ton of eBay models of at one point (they're now being converted and used in my brother's Chaos army, as most of them were in rough shape and I ended up regretting the purchase at that point and just wanted them out of my sight..."buyer beware", make sure the pictures are clear and you know exactly what you're getting if you go to eBay). I was planning on either Ultramarines or Salamanders, and if I ever started them seriously I'd go with the latter, because I've always loved dragons and they seem like an awesome themed army to go with. I love the FW termie kit and doors for them, too, and often think it'd look damn cool to have reinforced armor and Salamanders doors on all my tanks, and close-combat terminators with dragonscale armor. The (usually) low model count would help the painting process, too...

Anyway, I've spent way more time on this than I really should have. Feel free to give me any advice or ignore this altogether.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2008, 12:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: I know this is frowned upon, but...

Well. As I understood, the only armies you are not sick of is SM, Nids or SoBs. The tyranids are hard to paint horde. But think about it in an opposite way. Go elite and then make gaunts. This makes sure that when you finish a squad, you can play with it. Start with a couple of carnifexes or a tyrant. Maybe some other heavys. You can have an army with only 30 models. Thats not many! Now you could start making gaunts and add more and more models. Now you are just adding to the army. Not building it.

SM. Well. Im no fan. Basicly because of the fluff. But i wont stop you from collecting them. But i wont encourage you either.

SoBs. Im tired of these. They are just the inquisition and everyone and theyre dog has them around here.

BTW... That egg song in your sig is.... mildly disturbing...
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2008, 12:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

I'm always torn between projects.. I have yet to finish an army before making a new one..

And the egg song is great ;D

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2008, 12:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, Sid, you could use the Eldar or the Orks. Sounds like Horde is out, so probably not Orks, but Eldar are nice... especially if you go "pseudo-Dark Eldar" with them, like a Saimhain-style army. Your model count will remain comparatively low and the sculpts are luscious in my opinion. You could even paint them up all dark or use some Dark Eldar sculpts for a judiciously creepy army. I'm toying with this idea myself - Dark Eldar plays as Eldar - among others, but I have to wait to purchase the Codex and models because no one in the Eastern United States has them, they're all direct-order for me. :-(

You didn't mention Eldar at all, and some of those are nice to make. They can be as simple or as complex to paint as you prefer, and you can add in the nicer Dark Eldar sculpts (raiders, whatever).

I'm not sure where my post is exactly, but basically it was a Samhain-style build with appropriate colouring and some chaos bits. Speedy bikes w00t!
Old 16 Mar 2008, 15:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Eastern US? You don't happen to be around N.Virginia do you? :P

Personally, I'd probably go with SM, mainly because the models looks cool. I like the chaplains and the assault marines. And the Emperor's Champion. And the Dreadnoughts...
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2008, 16:00   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Or you could go real crazy like and start building a Necron army! Simple, durable and they look great with variant paint schemes.

But people might scream "cheese!" at you as you walk into the store and buy the battleforce and Monolith Phalanx :P
Old 16 Mar 2008, 20:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

You aren't as crazy as you think, Necrons have appealed to me simply because of how damn easy it would be to paint an attractive army of them. The hardest Necron model to paint would probably be the monolith.

And Behdini, I've thought about "DE plays as Eldar" before, but I dunno...I think I'd much prefer if GW just gave DE their much-needed update. They've even said they were going to update everyone for the new edition before making any new armies, and here we are still without DE and a new Daemon army for both systems is coming out in two months. I guess I'm mostly opposed to the idea because I shouldn't have to counts-as my whole army to play with it, and I'm just a bit irritated with GW making false promises and talking out their ass. :P

The image on the inside cover of the Soulstorm box fills me with hope though. I was checking it out when I went to the store yesterday and immediately thought "awesome". Which is strange, because stuff that usually pertains to senseless torture (such as Saw and Hostel) normally doesn't interest me, at all. I don't know, maybe I just like the Jabba the Hut skiff-style transports.

I have been attracted to Craftworld Eldar before, but it reminds me too much of Tau I guess, shooty army with skimmers. I like wraithlords and jetbikes, maybe some other time. Also keep in mind that I haven't even really learned how to play the game yet, so it might even be a while before I start up another army...but it won't stop me from coming up with ideas for the models. :P

Orks, despite having a huge model count, did appeal to me at first when I was deciding on a first army. I was pretty much already sold on Tau, but I kept admiring the painted Ork army in the store, with the converted SM dreadnought boss thing, and I often played Dawn of War as either Tau or Orks (bought the game first before I got models). If they had gotten their update a year sooner it wouldn't have been such an easy decision.

Quote:
That egg song in your sig is.... mildly disturbing...
You can thank [otc]Blieb, who often plays on the SA-Prison 24/7 Dust 2 server, for that one.

Quote:
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 20:40   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

I've been playing Dark Eldar since I started 40K... and I will stand by them until the bitter end!

And there's nothing wrong with Space Marines... and your idea sounds like a cool one. I'm personally going for a Viking theme for my Marines. More Viking than the Space Puppies, of course.

Did you ever consider Imperial Guard? I dunno if horde armies are your style, but it might be worth thinking about.

(Hey, Behdini, I live in NH! That's like, two hrs. away from where you are if your profile can be trusted. I also haven't had a game in almost two years...)
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2008, 20:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Eastern US? You don't happen to be around N.Virginia do you?
Boston, so no. :-(

As for gaming, o New Hampshirite, you got to check out the 'Arvard 'Ard Boyz and the other events that take place at Pandæmonium Books.

As for Dark Eldar, I'd probably use a lot of the new Eldar sculpts to replace the metal minis whenever humanly possible, the old Dark Eldar ones are kinda fuggly. I like the Raider skiff, I'd just use creepy proxies. I'm attracted also to the Ghouls from Fantasy (here) with swapped out heads like the Rebel Militia ones from Pig Iron Productions (here) for Hæmunculi and the like.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 20:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Nah, no Guard for me...I like them and respect them, but I'd definately go infantry-heavy and it'd be a painting nightmare. You never know though, I had a Guard codex in my hands yesterday. :P

But yeah, the Space Marines idea in particular would probably be a costly one. Like I said I like the FW parts, so I'd be buying a lot of terminator conversion kits and stuff for them. And for that matter, terminators, as it's been said that Salamanders use a lot of terminator armor and other high-tech equipment. $50 for a box, $55 for their land raider transport, god knows how much for the FW termie kit and the doors/armor for the land raider.

It'd look damn cool though, which is why it's still in the back of my mind somewhere.

Quote: