Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Reserves?
Old 07 Mar 2008, 09:50   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Reserves?

I never understood how reserves work in 40k...
is it
a) that you can only hold units in reserve which would enter the game by deepstriking/summoning etc.
b) any unit you feel like holding in reserve?
i read the section over and over again, checked the FAQ etc... i apologise if i missed it...
@mods: feel free to lock/delete this and call me any and every name you want if i have missed something really obvious
§PEEDFRE@K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 09:57   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Reserves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by §PEEDFRE@K
I never understood how reserves work in 40k...
is it
a) that you can only hold units in reserve which would enter the game by deepstriking/summoning etc.
b) any unit you feel like holding in reserve?
i read the section over and over again, checked the FAQ etc... i apologise if i missed it...
It is my understanding that virtually any unit can be placed in Reserves. Units that are in reserve enter by a certain table edge (as per the mission parameters) or if they have Deep strike capabilities, may use that instead.

I'm not sure on the limitations of how much you can hold in reserve, although I think you have to have at least one unit on the table on turn one, although holding 50% of your force off table would be about as much as I would hold.

Quote:
@mods: feel free to lock/delete this and call me any and every name you want if i have missed something really obvious
We won't do anything of the sort (at least to your face :P)
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 10:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Strange Master (FT)
I'm not sure on the limitations of how much you can hold in reserve, although I think you have to have at least one unit on the table on turn one, although holding 50% of your force off table would be about as much as I would hold.
The way I understood reserves: The only units where you can choose if they are placed in reserves are Deep Strikers. All other untis MUST be placed in reserve if the mission states so; otherwise, they have to be placed during deployment.

Reserves are not voluntarily (unlike Deep Strike; which is NOT reserves - it is just using the reserve mechanism).

And no, you don`t have to place "at least one unit" at the tabletop. I´ve played escalation with not a single unit on the table at turn 1 (Mech Tau ftw).

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 12:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

*puts on his powergaming cap*

this question can sometimes spark some pretty heated debates. simply because of the sentence:

Quote:
only infantry units (without dedicated transports) may be placed on the table
that is from memory so it might not be quite right :P

basically, i know many people who read that as may=can choose to, therefore they assume that you can decide to put whatever you like into reserves (assuming the rule is in play).
*takes off his powergaming hat*

this actually makes a bit of sense with some armies - if a black templars army decides to use drop pods then voluntarily placing their emperors champion in reserves could result in him arriving in a drop pod with the rest of the army whereas if this couldnt happen, the emperors champion would be wandering about the field on his own untill his mates showed up (not very wise on a battlefield )

it is up to you to decide with your opponent really, but as a precedence (if you want to use it, as it is labelled as an "official house rule") the GT FAQ for the UK stated that ALL infantry models that werent in dedicated transports MUST be deployed (so reference the example above, the emperors champion would be forced to deploy normally and the rest of his army be in reserve)
Old 07 Mar 2008, 18:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I thought it was like this.

Unit A is on the table
Unit B reserves
Unit C reserves

On turn 1, you roll for units B and C to come in from reserves on a 4+, then turn 2 if B and C aren't on the table, you roll again. So on and so forth until all units are on the table (the dice roll needed lowers each time. 4+, 3+, 2+)

ANY unit you want can be put in reserve, but you must have a unit on the table to begin with.

I think that's how it goes. I usually have all my units deployed in the beginning so I haven't bothered with it.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 19:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well in standard missions it greatly depends on what level you are playing

Alpha Level mission - All units are deployed at the start of the game. No units may deep strike unless always allowed to do so regarless of mission type. I.E. Terminators.

Gamma Level mission - Deep strike rules are in effect, along with some other special rules. All units are deployed, but deep strikers may be held back to deep strike if you wish.

Omega Level mission - all infantry models without a dedicated transport are deployed, everything else begins in reserves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 20:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
I thought it was like this.

Unit A is on the table
Unit B reserves
Unit C reserves

On turn 1, you roll for units B and C to come in from reserves on a 4+, then turn 2 if B and C aren't on the table, you roll again. So on and so forth until all units are on the table (the dice roll needed lowers each time. 4+, 3+, 2+)

ANY unit you want can be put in reserve, but you must have a unit on the table to begin with.

I think that's how it goes. I usually have all my units deployed in the beginning so I haven't bothered with it.
You don`t roll reserves on turn 1.

Turn 2: 4+
Turn 3: 3+
and so on.

Reserves are only possible in Missions where they are explicitely mentioned (or as a part of the "Deep Strike" rule).

In standard missions, the ONLY mission level that allows for Reserves is Omega, as Falstead already mentioned - and even then, "Reserves" is not a rule as such. Reserves is an add-on to the Escalation rule; and the Escalation rule tells you which units MUST be kept in reserve, and which CAN be deployed on the table (you don`t HAVE to deploy them, they can be kept in reserve).
NOWHERE does it say that you have to place a unit on the table - a Mech Tau army, for example, could well spend the whole first turn in Reserve, because everything is mechanised (which can be a good idea, actually).

As a rule: Reserves are only used when the mission says so; and usually the mission also rules which units are in reserve, and which aren`t. Most of the time, you can`t choose what is kept in reserve, and what isn`t (this is vastly different in Apocalypse!).

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 21:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

:P Okay, I fudged when you could roll reserves. Whatever. (Might add more later if I remember and if I actually get my rulebook)
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2008, 02:12   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

thanks for the clarification
unbelievable that i have missed this bit for 3 long years of playing... that really opens up a whole new area of tactics... YAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Strange Master (FT)
Quote:
We won't do anything of the sort (at least to your face :P)
thanks for that... as long as i don´t hear (read) it i´m not offended if you call me a &*$%&?ing §*$&?/... ;D
§PEEDFRE@K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2008, 12:16   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
thanks for that... as long as i don´t hear (read) it i´m not offended if you call me a &*$%&?ing §*$&?/... ;D
Good to hear *goes away to back stab Speedfreak away from his face*...
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote