Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Choosing a new army
Old 06 Mar 2008, 19:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Choosing a new army

I play marines but recently have wanted to start an army that can field hordes. I am torn between Orks and Guard. I like the hand combat superiority of orks and the looting of other vehicles but can't seem to get over the poor BS of 2. For guard, the support options seem great but a lot of people also play guard at the store i go to :P and i want something different, like Catachans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Solar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip_II
PK nobs, Big Choppa bike boss, and Flash Gits!(oh wait that wasn't a tank, it was flying...) ;D
Shut it...
I love Flash Gits
Orks: W: 11 L: 4 D: 2
BA: W: 2 L: 4 D: 2
IG: W: 1 L:2 D: 0
Bretonnians: W: 2 L: 3 D: 0
Bretonnians ("Line Breaker"): W: 1 L: 0 D: 0
Clip_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2008, 19:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Choosing a new army

If you really want a horde army, go Orcs. No other force can have as big a horde of troops.
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2008, 21:02   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownKnight
If you really want a horde army, go Orcs. No other force can have as big a horde of troops.
Its spelt Orks. Orcs are just those weedy things that aragorn wipes off the bottom of his boots. Orks are the things that wipe him off the bottom of their boots.

[hr]

I'd second the Ork advice - you get bags of conversion potential, they are quite possibly the mst fun army to play, they get damn cool models, and loads of freaking awesome rules!!

Whats not to love?
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2008, 22:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The fungii?

IG have a wide diversity of models from forgeworld if you have the economy. This will make your army a bit more special. Make drop troopers for example. Or you could go machanized with a lot of FW artillery...
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 00:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm the only one you know who plays IG, and their are only 2 other people at the store who play IG. Eveyone is Space Marines or the 'Nids kid...

I am feeling Orky right now. And now that I think about it, you do get more conversion options with Orks.

To those who say Orks can have more hordes. NO THEY CAN'T! Can they take 55 men as one troop choice? NO!!!

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 01:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would go orks, there completely diffrent from marines while the guards arent because there both imperial shooty guys while orks are fun, diffrent, and allows alot of fun character names and some cool fluff and conversion oppurtinties, I play catachan and they could be challenging if you your new and orks dont require to much tactical thinking but just say WAAAAAAAGH!!! and charge down a field.

PS- sweet 55 men, but I would rather take 30 orks that are much tougher and could soak up fire for the several other hoardy ork squads, plus most ork players usually send out super fast things to lock up shooty units from causing unwanted shooting casualties.
Old 07 Mar 2008, 03:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hmm, tough call, I like the horde armies. Go ork while people aren't used to them! Or go with the Guard and build them up before they get a new dex!
Old 07 Mar 2008, 05:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansa
Hmm, tough call, I like the horde armies. Go ork while people aren't used to them! Or go with the Guard and build them up before they get a new dex!
As new codexes change things, and that means more $$$. I think that is the best reason I've heard yet to play OrKs
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 06:53   #9 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

I would say to get orks, because although their BS is shit, they fire a lot of bullets.

30 man shoota mob = 60 shoota shots

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2008, 00:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you like the big tanks and other huge ordanance guns, go for the gaurd. However, I would personally choose the orks, if for no other reason then there models are awesome! 8) Plus, just imagine the sheer numbers involved... A 30 boy mob on the charge gets 120 attacks! 30 shoota boyz can make 60 S4 shots per turn while moving! All those attacks just sound cool. "Okay, my Ork boyz are making 120 attacks on your Fire Warriors... Anyone have extra dice?"
Lying in a featherbed will bring you no fame, nor staying beneath the quilt, and he who uses up his life without achieving fame leaves no more vestige of himself on Earth than smoke in the air or foam upon the water. ~Dante Alighieri

W L D
Tau 3 1 1
Space Marines 5 0 1
Tyranids 1 0 0
Dark Eldar 2 0 0
Pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote