Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I need some help picking an Army
Old 03 Mar 2008, 06:03   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default I need some help picking an Army

To begin with, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this, I was waffling between posting my question here or in the introduction forum but decided here since this isn't really an introduction.

I recently started to play Warhammer 40k and I am beginning to have a problem. You see I am the type of player who can never really stick to any one theme because I tend to let my hobby follow what interests me in life at that time. What I mean is Iím a disorganized player who changes themes and styles every week. I know this is bad habit (trust me Iíve played enough CCG/TCGs to know) but I canít change what I am. My problem is that in a game like Warhammer, its much harder to change my general play style on a week to week basis because the hobby, as you may have realized, is a tad expensive :P .

At any rate, as a new player I really donít know all of the ins and outs of each army and was wondering if the more experienced players could help me find an army that best fits my less than orderly play style.

Here are a few general facts about my preferences:

-- I tend to enjoy more defensive armies but at the same time ones that can radically shift gear into high octane offense mode when the opportunity knocks.

-- I tend to like larger horde-ish armies with solid elites (not the troop type) to lead and anchor my army, all the while being supplemented with big, massive artillery guns.

-- I tend to really enjoy reading about and involving myself with rich, complex flavor text. I like to feel and emphasize with an army.

-- I tend to love having a flavorful leader for my army

-- I tend to shied away from things that are (flavorfully) truly evil.

-- I tend to enjoy Complexity through Simplicity

-- I like armies that have factions with in them, so that I can focus on one (or three) and play that aspect up through Ďfaction patriotism.í

-- I donít have any real preference for technology level

-- If you know anything about Magic: The Gathering, Iím a Timmy/Johnny and tend to play White/Blue (for defense, control and swarming) and Black/Green (for swarming with big monsters and taking my opponentís monsters out).

-- If you know anything about RPGs, or the fantasy genre in general, 90% of the time I play Evocation Mages (read as Mages that blast things with fireballs) and White Knight Paladins.

HmmÖ I hope thatís enough info for you guys to understand my screwy mind, if not I can answer any and all questions. And again, I'm really sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Thanks in advance.
Elemental_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2008, 06:18   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: I need some help picking an Army

Ah then the Imperial Guards are ther best choice then.

The Imperial Guard are often first, last and often the only defence against the enemies of Mannkind. So their basic strategy is sit and shoot. Their savings are +5 so you need to stay in cover ALWAYS.

The Infantry Squad which is the backbone of the Imperial Guard cost only like 60 points (base points) and you can add special weapons and heavy weapons to add to their firepower. Quanity has its own quality. 20 lasguns have a chance to take down a terminator or 2. Mass firepower is the word here. Also deploymeny. 1 Infantry platoon is made up of a command squad and 2-5 Infantry Squad. Also, I Infantry platoon takes only one troop cost. So, if you manage to roll for troops. A succesful roll will get you 25 models at least plues their special weapons and heavy weapons. Also, the Basilisks are one of the best artillery guns of all the army along with the Leman Russes the main battle tank of the Imperial Guard.

The Imperial Guard has the most flexible fluff. There's a million worlds in the Imperium. Just make up a regiment, put in some doctrines to suit the fluff and you got yourself a personalized army.

There's many heroes within the Imperial Guard. Just give him the right wargear but not too much, and you got yourself a flavorful leader.

Though united in their cause to bring glory to the Golden Throne of Terra, regiments are still loyal to their worlds and regimantals rivalries are not rare.

Hope this helps
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2008, 06:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yes, I would say Imperial guard for your Horde/ can counter attack very well, Or Space Marines for your defensive/ Offensive with a flavorful leader, although they are not horde.

SM-
3+ Armor save
Termies, 2+ Armor save, Effective weaponry, 5+Invun
Some effective tanks- Whirlwinds, LAndspeeders
Fast attack units- Landspeeders again, Assault squads with their jump packs
Some realy cool leaders

IG-
Very, Very good tanks
Stormtroopers may be taken as a Troops Choice, If a Doctrine is taken
Very, Very heavy weapon teams
Some cool leaders, But leaders are evil to their own men

And thats all I can think of right now.. So.. Make your pick...
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2008, 06:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I agree with the other two.
And if you want, you could probably ally Imperial Guards and Space Marines, though you'd be restricted in one of the armies. Not entirely sure on legality between various armies.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2008, 07:02   #5 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

Space Marines or Imperial guard are your best choice but if you wanted both, you could take some Space Marines as Allies.

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2008, 10:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Space Marines are better all-rounders than Imperial Guard. You can uber-bloc with them, though not if you want big guns as well. Space Marines have a lot of flexibility and are very forgiving to a player who likes to shift tactics, while Imperial Guard are much less so... if you want to go on the offence with Guard you're not playing top your strengths as much.

That's my advice, sorry if it's a bit boring...

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2008, 10:42   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'd say Space Marines (ok, perhaps I'm a little biast!)
You truely would be surprised how many standard Tactical marines with bolters you can cram into a 1500pts list. being fairly minimalistic, there can be potentally 90 marines on the table (plus the HQ)!
while their tanks may not have the destructive capabilities as the Imperial Guard, they can still deal out the hurt and survive plenty
Old 03 Mar 2008, 17:13   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm going to be a bit more specific. You want the guard; plus inquisition. Depending on how you want to do it, you can have a mainly INQ list, with some guard forces, or a mainly guard list, with some INQ forces.

Or a wholy guard force. Pure Guard is more fractionalised that the INQ (Who, from a backround PoV are pretty fractionalised, but not as much as the Guard, and not in easy ways to represent visually) but the INQ can muster some much more elite units (Penitant engine, Exorcist for artillery)... and still have masses of troops
Tybalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2008, 17:21   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Inquisition.

You can take Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Grey Knights, and Sisters of battle into your list. The only constant thing is that you just need your inquisitor. You can be everything that you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2008, 17:30   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloelmo
I'd say Space Marines (ok, perhaps I'm a little biast!)
You truely would be surprised how many standard Tactical marines with bolters you can cram into a 1500pts list. being fairly minimalistic, there can be potentally 90 marines on the table (plus the HQ)!
while their tanks may not have the destructive capabilities as the Imperial Guard, they can still deal out the hurt and survive plenty
Well in a guard army you can field lots of men alot of men lets sayin 1500 points:
5 man command squad
full platoon of men (command squad 50 guardsmen)
and you got 100 points left over (25 conscripts) so thats 225 men
Agreed; the Dark Kin get Dark Matter cannons, whereas those limp-wristed Craftworlders presumably power their Bright Lance, and all their weapons, through homosexual lusting. How else do you explain the Vibrocannon looking (and functioning) like some giant space-dildo? >
i dunno is offline   Reply With Quote