Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pronunciation of Tyranid and other 40k terms
Old 29 Feb 2008, 01:40   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to wilddrawfour
Default Pronunciation of Tyranid and other 40k terms

I tried the search box at the top of this page and this topic didn't come up. I hope I'm not treading on old material here.

Very recently I've been playing WH40K down at my local shop though i've played at house games for years before this. All the players at the shop pronounce Tyranid differently than I do. They say something that sounds like tier-a-nid. I've always said something more like tie-rann-id. It drives me nuts to hear it pronounced tier-a-nid. There's something pathological about it. To be quite frank, tier-a-nid sounds really stupid to me. It sounds as bad as if i were to say knee-cron, instead of neck-ron when pronouncing Necron, or quee-gon-jinn, instead of kwai-gon-jinn, when pronouncing Qui Gon Jinn.

I was just wondering how they say Tyranid and other Warhammer 40K words at your shops and house games? What are your experiences with this kind of thing?

Edit: I should mention that I don't truly care how anyone says Tyranid. We all have different conventions with language. Personally I'm never going to change the way I say it and i wouldn't expect anyone else to change.
wilddrawfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 01:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Pronunciation of Tyranid and other 40k terms

Nope, you're wrong I'm afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO chat
Gandpa Ducky: Exactly. I can eat when I'm dead
CmdrBonesaw: Yes. Brains ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by TO chat
jais: Wrap me up and bath me in oil its Rafe!
Iron_dragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 02:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I've always said and heard either "TIH-rah-nid" or "TEE-rah-nid". (I'm always the first one.) It's pseudo-Greek - it's tyrannical "tih-ran-ickle", not "tye-ran-ickle"
Old 29 Feb 2008, 06:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've always said TIH-ran-id with the stress on the "TIH", as it is pseudo-greek the pronounciation makes sense and with the stress anywhere else it sounds... awkward.

We also say SEE-tan but I used to say suh-TARN to me the second sounds better.

Anyway I can't of many others, other than Tigurius but I'm not sure about that one myself.

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 06:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Seer
Anyway I can't (sic) of many others, other than Tigurius but I'm not sure about that one myself.
I say tih-GRR-ee-us. I don't know about your local dialects, but at least here in New England we can't say OO-RR, it just turns into OHR or RR - door, moor are dore, more.

If I'm being uppity I say it like real Latin, which I can't represent without using the IPA but is essentially as if it were Spanish. Since it's not real Latin, I usually don't. :-)

I know it's supposed to sound all Gothic and stuff, but how come no one ever picks, like, Welsh or Basque or something to make them all scary? I mean, c'mon. The Inquisition was all from Basque land and all those Xes are terrifying to see.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 06:35   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I pronounce it TIER-ah-nid but TIE-rah-nid is my main alternative. To me TIER-ah-nid sounds scarier than TIE-rah-nid, but that's me.

Other armies:

NEK-ron
EL-dar
Elemental_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 08:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i've heard people say T-aw while I say Ta-ow (tau)
lemon-green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 08:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Seer
We also say SEE-tan but I used to say suh-TARN to me the second sounds better.
Is that for C'Tan? Everybody I know uses a hard C... like K'Tan.

Some people say T'au with the glottal stop on the apostrophe like their homeworld is to refer to the race. It annoys me, but fair enough.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 08:28   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

How is it everyone can pronounce Tyrant and Tyranossaur, yet when you ask them to say Tyranid they go stupid?

I have heard a lot of people use "Tiranid", and that isn't too bad I suppose (it flows quicker for one thing).

As for Tau... there is only one correct way to say it; T-ow. A Tau is a subatomic particle, and it is pronounced T-ow. If you say it any other way, you are wrong. Period.

As for C'tan... the ' is generally a pause, sort of a "stop for emphasis". So, instead of the "ct" sound in words like Pact, the C is sharpened, and emphasis is put on the T. So it's CTan, not ctan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 08:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

TIH-ran-id, as Behdini said... it sounds more like Tyrannical. Unless you pronounce that as Tie-ran-ickle, in which case more power to you.

The one I struggle with is Zoanthrope. People want to pronounce it zone-thrope, while I always want to say zo-an-thro-pee...

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote