Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

40k Mobility and How it Can be Applied.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 08:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to GRISGIT-warboss
Default 40k Mobility and How it Can be Applied.

From my time in the game, I have learnt that a mobile force, with good strength of arms and able assault units is what makes a competitive, fast and fun game. Here’s two of the main “styles” in which a Mobile army is played.

Mechanized; Mechanized refers to a style or technique in which any army of 40k may be played as.

A mechanized army consists of a force which all of the infantry are mounted in a transport or a bike etc. In real life terms, these would be called cavalry. A mechanized army’s key advantages are that it is able to fight on its own terms. This means that the force is fast and is mobile enough to choose where it wants to fight and when it wants to fight. However, this is only one but many of the key advantages of a mechanized army. Others include access to mobile cover in the form of Rhino’s and other transports, and access to tactics such as the common “Refused Flank”.
A mechanized army of a 500 point force of Space Marines may be something like this;

HQ;
Captain;
- Jump Pack
- Power Weapon
- Bolt Pistol

This character is going to be a pain for any infantry, however do not ever charge him into a full strength squad with a “hidden” powerfist. He will be maimed. Use him in a supporting role for one of the rhino squads. If a Rhino squad unloads from their transport and rapid fires a squad, there will be remaining troops ready to deal death back. Use this character to charge in and finish them off.

Troops;
“Mech Squad Alpha”
8 Space Marines;
Plasma Gun
Plasma Gun
+ Rhino with Extra Armour and Smoke Launchers

This squad is one of the heart and bone squads of the army, the rhino may be used to cover a space marine advance or to block off a flank of the battlefield, the Space Marine squad has enough plasma and bolter rounds to put a hurt on any squad, ready for “Beta” or the Captain to finish the squad off. It is also a mobile objective taker.

Troops;
“Mech Squad Beta”
8 Space Marines;
Plasma Gun
Plasma Gun
+ Rhino with Extra Armour and Smoke Launchers

This squad is one of the heart and bone squads of the army, the rhino may be used to cover a space marine advance or to block off a flank of the battlefield, the Space Marine squad has enough plasma and bolter rounds to put a hurt on any squad, ready for “Alpha” or the Captain to finish the squad off. It is also a mobile objective taker.

Blitz; “Blitz” refers to striking a single point of the opponent’s battle line with a multitude of targets, and units at the one time. For example, a mechanized Eldar player spots a weak point in the opponent’s line. As a result, the Eldar player immediately turbo boosts his/her wave serpents and falcons towards the “weak point”. Although the Eldar play will take a few losses they will be minimized by the fact they are fast skimmers and moved over 6” in their turn and any defensive upgrades such as Spirit Stones and Holo-Fields will greatly increase their chance of surviving. Finally, in the Eldar player’s turn, any infantry immediately disembark the maximum 2” towards the enemy, then proceed to either fleet of foot then assault or fire upon the enemy infantry. depending on the warrior’s role. Leaving the Transports to move away and fire in the same turn.

A typical Blitz set up consists of the following in 750 point games;

HQ;
Farseer;
- Doom

The Farseer is used to plainly support our snipers in the buildings who help cover the blitzing units.

Elites;
6 Howling Banshees
+ Wave Serpent with Dual Shuriken Cannons and Spirit Stones

At small points, we can’t fit the good old Clown Wagon, so we have to make do with Howling Banshees, they are suited to the role as the a great siege breakers with their Banshee Masks. The Farseer’s doom also comes into aid here. The Wave Serpent can also put out a great volume of high strength fire.

6 Howling Banshees
+ Wave Serpent with Dual Shuriken Cannons and Spirit Stones

At small points, we can’t fit the good old Clown Wagon, so we have to make do with Howling Banshees, they are suited to the role as the a great siege breakers with their Banshee Masks. The Farseer’s doom also comes into aid here. The Wave Serpent can also put out a great volume of high strength fire.

Troops;
5 Pathfinders
- Pathfinders

These snipers are used to support the blitzing elements of the army, they also gain considerable strength from “Doom”.

5 Pathfinders
- Pathfinders

These snipers are used to support the blitzing elements of the army, they also gain considerable strength from “Doom”
GRISGIT-warboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2008, 23:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: 40k Mobility and How it Can be Applied.

Give this guy some karma! This is a guide ive been waiting a long time on!
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 02:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

well, since this is a guide (and a good one at that) I'll ask you the big question that keeps coming up: what the heck is a "hidden" powerfist? If it's WYSIWYG then shouldn't you see the powerfist? Thus meaning it's not "hidden". ???
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 02:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

It's hidden becuse you can't single it out like you would a normal character.
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
T pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 03:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

When the mechanized army is Tau, there is another advantage that I don't think the Space Marine Rhino's have: a frightening amount of firepower from the warfish. If the infantry never sets foot (or hoof, in this case) in the transport, though, does it still count as mechanized / cavalry? I run a fairly static firing line with the pulse rifles, with the warfishes flying around up front trying to add fire, draw enemy fire, and generally get in the way. The infantry don't usually get in the transport until turn 3 or later, and that's only if both infantry and transport from the same squad survive that long.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 04:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
well, since this is a guide (and a good one at that) I'll ask you the big question that keeps coming up: what the heck is a "hidden" powerfist? If it's WYSIWYG then shouldn't you see the powerfist? Thus meaning it's not "hidden". ???
As was answered before. It isn't actually "hidden". It just can't be targeted by enemy attacks in combat when it is in a squad, as it isn't an independant character weilding it.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 09:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hazard
there is a little problem with your eldar list.
if your using the mobility of the serpents your best bet is to stick shooting units in them like fire dragons or dire avengers as you cannot assault out of them. thus leaving the banshee's high and dry for punishing return fire and counter assault.

Quote:
When the mechanized army is Tau, there is another advantage that I don't think the Space Marine Rhino's have: a frightening amount of firepower from the warfish. If the infantry never sets foot (or hoof, in this case) in the transport,
Actually i run mine just the opposite way. tau FWs are so fragile and subject to decimating assaults(especially with 6 man squads) i never get them out of thier transports until the last turn to take obejctives, add some extra last chance firepower, or if the transport is destroyed obviously thus forcing them out. otherwise the warfish do the lions share of the killing (and survivng).

every single 40K army i play is heavy on mobility. my pure DW gets around either via land raider or deepstriking via drop pods(dreads), my ravenwing is primarly composed of bikes and speeders with some artllery support. my nids are almost all winged, my tau have 6 tanks to back up the crisis suits, and my sisters all have transports. if there is somewhere i need to be on the table i can get there. >

Old 29 Feb 2008, 09:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Actually no. I don't agree.
Wave Serpents are great for transporting assault units. A nice tool for blitzing, more to the point.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 12:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Your still stuck with the same problem. there are only 2 units in the game that can transport and assault out of on the same turn-land raiders and open topped vehicles. otherwise youre assault units such as banshies get to stand there exposed for at least a round of enemy shooting. with T3 and a weak armor save it isn't playing to the sttrength of the transport. where as a 12 man squad of DAs are putting out 36 blade storm shots on the turn they get out, if you guid them with a farseer it becomes even worse. or the the other route with a squad of fire dragons melting whatever armor, terminator squad etc they need to eliminate.

The only way it would be feasable is if you had some sort of terrain feature to hide your assault unit in/behind on the turn they arrive. otherwise your opponant will make best efforts to eliminate them before they get into assault on the following turn.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 17:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by mughi3
Your still stuck with the same problem. there are only 2 units in the game that can transport and assault out of on the same turn-land raiders and open topped vehicles. otherwise youre assault units such as banshies get to stand there exposed for at least a round of enemy shooting. with T3 and a weak armor save it isn't playing to the sttrength of the transport. where as a 12 man squad of DAs are putting out 36 blade storm shots on the turn they get out, if you guid them with a farseer it becomes even worse. or the the other route with a squad of fire dragons melting whatever armor, terminator squad etc they need to eliminate.

The only way it would be feasable is if you had some sort of terrain feature to hide your assault unit in/behind on the turn they arrive. otherwise your opponant will make best efforts to eliminate them before they get into assault on the following turn.
That only applies if you have already moved. The way to pull this tactic is to zoom up to the enemy, wait a turn and then assault out of it. Once the troops disembark zoom the serpent off somewhere else.

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote