Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A question on standard 40k protocal...
Old 26 Feb 2008, 20:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default A question on standard 40k protocal...

Well, before I go and sink $60+ dollars into the extra bits I need, how picky are the stores with the whole "any equipment must be represented on the model" rule? For instance, instead of buying assault squad arms to represent Tactical squads with the "Take the Fight to Them" trait, can I just paint them a different color and tell my opponent that it stands for a bolt pistol and CCW, or even just glue some knives on them and pretend the bolter is a freaking huge Bolt Pistol?
Lying in a featherbed will bring you no fame, nor staying beneath the quilt, and he who uses up his life without achieving fame leaves no more vestige of himself on Earth than smoke in the air or foam upon the water. ~Dante Alighieri

W L D
Tau 3 1 1
Space Marines 5 0 1
Tyranids 1 0 0
Dark Eldar 2 0 0
Pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2008, 21:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: A question on standard 40k protocal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the... Tau?
Well, before I go and sink $60+ dollars into the extra bits I need, how picky are the stores with the whole "any equipment must be represented on the model" rule? For instance, instead of buying assault squad arms to represent Tactical squads with the "Take the Fight to Them" trait, can I just paint them a different color and tell my opponent that it stands for a bolt pistol and CCW, or even just glue some knives on them and pretend the bolter is a freaking huge Bolt Pistol?
GW, GW stores will likely be more picky for official events, I'd just suggest buying Blood Claws instead of Tactical Marines, if you have the Tactical Marines already well... I'd still suggest you buy the assault marine arms. It's money but it's also good sportsmanship.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2008, 21:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

For me, it depends. If it is a friendly game and I know you are in the process of either play testing an army, or building/changing your army, I would not mind. However, if its a tournament, then I would like to see close to the correct weapon.
JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2008, 21:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I planned to buy the proper bits eventually, if for no other reason other then using proxies bothers me. I was just hoping I could forstall that payment while I finish my SM army. :-\ Thanks for your answers!
Lying in a featherbed will bring you no fame, nor staying beneath the quilt, and he who uses up his life without achieving fame leaves no more vestige of himself on Earth than smoke in the air or foam upon the water. ~Dante Alighieri

W L D
Tau 3 1 1
Space Marines 5 0 1
Tyranids 1 0 0
Dark Eldar 2 0 0
Old 26 Feb 2008, 21:11   #5 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

One of my friends is a real WYSIWYG nazi so I have to show everything I use :P so I would represent it so you don't have to rebuy or repaint any units.

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2008, 21:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the... Tau?
I`m with Vash on this one - WYSIWYG should be enforced in this case - especially if you intend to use this army in a "take-all-comer" environment against people you don`t know. If testing the unit against a buddy, no one will complain about proxies; but in a "normal" game, the majority of the unit shold be equipped accordingly...

How important WYSIWYG can be in the smallest of differences shows a quote from a Megabattle I once had the pleasure to be overseeing as a judge/resident rules lawyer: "What do you mean, your Sergeant as a PowerFIST?!?" ;D

So, go the extra mile and model the equipment. Even if it is not strictly necessary (casual games against friends, i.e.), itis a sign of good sportsmanship.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2008, 01:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Well as for the WYSIWYG that seems to be pretty much all covered up so I won't add to it...but the way you talk, you seem to imply you'll buy bits. I'm just wondeing where do you plan to get the bits since GW do not do bits order anymore.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2008, 05:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

For heavens sake if you are currently playtesting your army and you have the slightest risk of not using them anyways, proxy them until you are certain.

When youre certain - do get the right models. It looks better, no confusion, and it feels better to fight with models that are as you want them to be.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 12:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

In reply to Boneguard, I'm picking up the bits I need from Battlewagonbits.com. I think they're a bit more expensive, (SMS sprue for the hammerhead is 9.99!!!), but I guess that's really the only option. :-\

W L D
Tau 3 1 1
Space Marines 5 0 1
Tyranids 1 0 0
Dark Eldar 2 0 0
Old 27 Feb 2008, 15:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw

How important WYSIWYG can be in the smallest of differences shows a quote from a Megabattle I once had the pleasure to be overseeing as a judge/resident rules lawyer: "What do you mean, your Sergeant as a PowerFIST?!?" ;D

Cheers,
-Bone
Call me stupid, but I don't get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO chat
Gandpa Ducky: Exactly. I can eat when I'm dead
CmdrBonesaw: Yes. Brains ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by TO chat
jais: Wrap me up and bath me in oil its Rafe!
Iron_dragons is offline   Reply With Quote