Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Anybody Playing Kill Team? Is it worth the effort?
Old 25 Feb 2008, 12:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Anybody Playing Kill Team? Is it worth the effort?

I was looking at this for the last couple of nights, and I was wondering if it worked out in practice.

Would it be worthwhile to get together the models just to support some different Brute Squads for each race?

If you do play - I've got a couple of questions.

It doesn't look as if there is any 'General Alarm' point reached. I couldn't find any indication that, at some point, the defenders become aware of the Kill Team and all the Brute Squads activate. Is that true, do you just keep rolling for the Activate/Deactivate phase the whole game?

With the rule-breaking feature... If I understand it correctly...

Let's say I want to take models from three different units - Kommandos, OrK Troops and Burna Boyz, that's breaking there rules twice? Since I've got 3 different unit types? Now, let's say that each of the unit types takes a weapon that is either more than S6, or is Assault 3 or whatever - did I just break the rules 3 more times, or did I only break them once, for having forbidden weapons. It just seems like the Brutes build up bonus points pretty fast.

And finally ----

With the Orcs, it's a little tough to stay inside the rules. Most of the better (more points) unit types are either W2, or have a forbidden weapon. You can't take a Nob at all. You can't take Flash Gits. You can't take Lootas. You can't take Big Shootas or Rokkits.
On the other hand - the selections you DO have are so cheap that they would go way over the 12 model limit at 160pts.

Any suggestions?

Tanx.

Floyd. (I used to have this posted on the wall of my cubicle back when I was an IT git.)

Kazadvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2008, 13:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Anybody Playing Kill Team? Is it worth the effort?

I've played some killteam matches, and trust me it is VERY unbalanced! For instance, I used a Dark Eldar Kill Team made up entirely of Beast masters, which have an Agonizer, Splinter pistol and Drugs. Since they don't have access to the Armory, it didn't break the rules. :

It requires a certain degree of attention to fluff, otherwise it'll end VERY quickly!

Lying in a featherbed will bring you no fame, nor staying beneath the quilt, and he who uses up his life without achieving fame leaves no more vestige of himself on Earth than smoke in the air or foam upon the water. ~Dante Alighieri

W L D
Tau 3 1 1
Space Marines 5 0 1
Tyranids 1 0 0
Dark Eldar 2 0 0
Pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2008, 14:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

Ive given a fair share of attention to the killteam system. Its very true, its very unbalanced. Bear in mind however, that you shouldnt be playing JUST to cream the killteam at the ealiest point possible. You play to tell a story, as in roleplaying games. Its way too easy to make horribly effective killteam. Imagine a harlequin killteam, for instance. It would lay waste to all sorts of brutes in no time.

Going as far as building brutes or buying extra killteam units, no way, no need. I always just use what I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazadvorn
It doesn't look as if there is any 'General Alarm' point reached. I couldn't find any indication that, at some point, the defenders become aware of the Kill Team and all the Brute Squads activate. Is that true, do you just keep rolling for the Activate/Deactivate phase the whole game?
There is no general alarm.

1) you roll the activate/deactivae units roll, X..
2) you deactivate or activate up to X units.
3) You gather "klaxxon counters" every time the squad shoots, fx. You make a control roll every turn, and you add your number of Klaxxon to it. This is the general level of alarm. This more or less means that when you have about 3 klaxxon counters, you will win most of the control rolls, as you add 3 to your rolls. This means you should just go about and activate as much as you can.
4) If you get a brute squad within I+klaxxon inches, THAT squad is "aware" and acts from now on as a normal 40k squad for the rest of the game. With say, marines and their I4, an additional 3 klaxxon counters gives them a spotting/awareness distance of 7", which is quite dangerous.

General alarm is when all brutes are aware - they will be aware faster and faster, mind you, as you get more klaxxons, you put more pressure on the killteam, and you get more control over you folks, you can easier send them his direction, making him shoot and fight, giving you more klaxxons again. So there is no general alarm, but the game starts with the brutes just hanging around, doing nothing, while they, as the kill team progress, start getting more and more suspicious about things.

As more and more brutes get aware, you get more and more freedom as a brute player.
Quote:
Let's say I want to take models from three different units - Kommandos, OrK Troops and Burna Boyz, that's breaking there rules twice? Since I've got 3 different unit types? Now, let's say that each of the unit types takes a weapon that is either more than S6, or is Assault 3 or whatever - did I just break the rules 3 more times, or did I only break them once, for having forbidden weapons. It just seems like the Brutes build up bonus points pretty fast.
As with the ork killteam, I would find that it'd be tremendously easy. I mean, if you use kommandos, choppas, shootas and burnas you gots yourself a decent range of upgrades, and add ard boys to make the basic point cost go up and save your boys the trouble. 12 ardboy shootas could fare quite nicely due to the amount of guns and with R18" assault2, they will be scoring hits like there is no tomorrow, for a base cost of what, 120 points? Then you can after that add a burnaboy instead if you wanna break rules. Its not needed, but yes, if you break a rule twice, the brutes get extra points.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 17:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I tried kill team. In fact, i tried just kill team all night. What me and a friend found out

Its no fun unless you've gotta storyline/conversions :'(
lol probably should've known that.
Warboss Vandersnag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2008, 18:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I say go for it. We had a Kill Team Tournament in West Laffayette...3 years ago :shifty: but it was great fun. Something to consider, is playing with each person controlling a kill team and setting a specific number of rules you can break. It doesn't solve everything however. It neuters orks (my Tau killed afew is CC :sadnshocked: ) and Rough Riders are nasty, and some armies are impossible to make a kill team, such as Thousand Suns (unless you want screamers or whatever the flying daemon was).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warboss Vandersnag
I tried kill team. In fact, i tried just kill team all night. What me and a friend found out

Its no fun unless you've gotta storyline/conversions :'(
lol probably should've known that.
Kill teams are alot like Inquisitor, it needs background and an interesting mission. If you take the time to convert your models and give them a backstory, the game is much more fun. I'm actually disappointed that more people don't play, its fun and its a good replacement if you don't have time for a huge game of 40k.

"I've always loved being the center of attention, when that didn't involve incoming fire." --Ciaphas Cain, Hero of the Imperium--
O Vioanoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2008, 18:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

I have a friend with whom I play kill team. He's IG and I am ork, so its a natural veterans-go-on-dangerous-mission-in-ork-territory storyline. Its basically very very simple, but were having a good time.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 18:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

What's the rumour about a total re-write of the Kill-Team rules? I heard something about a separate book, like CityFight?
Kazadvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2008, 19:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

The Tau get gimped in Kill team, in my opinion. You could go all out at extreme range with normal warriors, but this is as fun as Necrons fielding 5 immortals and walking the board. When we played we set extra objectives and a time limit. I have to say it was awesome to watch the other player's space marine break his buddy out of jail, limp over to the secondary objective (he was hindered from carrying his buddy), set his one melta bomb off, and then make it off his board edge on his last turn. Narrative helps alot as well.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2008, 20:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

kill teams are a great idea, but the rules some fine-tuning. its not that good without fluff, and my "fluffy" kill teams have 6 models, and one breaks 6 mutable laws, the other breaks 4 mutables and an immutable (its led by an honour guard whos ethereal was killed. to this day he carries his masters honour blade (breaking immutable rule 7) to avenge his masters death)

the last time i played, i spent 3 turns in combat with a space marine boss. by the time i killed them, 3 more brute squads were surrounding me. i lost :'(

ive been working out rules for kill team vs. kill team battles. i'll post them on the website when their done
mabbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2008, 21:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

Quote:
What's the rumour about a total re-write of the Kill-Team rules? I heard something about a separate book, like CityFight?
I've definitely not heard that rumor. I do like the sounds of it, especially if they compile and reprint all of the WD articles on Killteam, such as the nemesis rules. I'd probably pick up a copy...

[hr]

I've only tried one game of Kill Team and it was pretty cool: Orky Kommando-types trying to sneak through an Imperial trench line. The Orks didn't quite make it... at all. It was a good time, though.

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote