Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Would this be completely illegal...
Old 21 Feb 2008, 21:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Would this be completely illegal...

....to make my own army? I'm not the most amazing modeler in the world when it comes to conversions, so i was thinking of making a new army based on an old army, maybe a new inquisitional army or something. I would write a codex for them. I'm not the 200 page novel kinda guy, so i'll just write an army list, and special rules, wargear, ect. So was wondering if this is legal, both law-wise (Because we all know how paranoid GW is), and rule/ cheese wise...
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2008, 21:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kiznti
Default Re: Would this be completely illegal...

Well, you wouldn't be able to use it in tournaments, that's for sure. In fact, it would most likely be limited to friendly games only. And of course you'll want to let your opponents know that you are fielding a strange home-brewed army. Law wise, as long as you don't stand to profit from the codex (i.e. sell it) then GW probably won't care what you do.

Cheese wise, I would personally be wary about playing aginst an army that has been designed from the rules up by the person playing it. I suggest that you have those people you'll likely be using it again help you to come up with the rules as you make them- that way they can keep any ridiculous powers in check, and aren't surprised when you want to use the army.

Read the Strange Gazzet. You know you want to!
Kiznti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2008, 22:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiznti
Law wise, as long as you don't stand to profit from the codex (i.e. sell it) then GW probably won't care what you do.
So long as they haven't recently hired Kevin Sembieda, you should be good to go on the Law front.

Otherwise, you need to find someone willing to play against your made up army list. And as has been said, you won't be able to use it in a tournament.
Old 21 Feb 2008, 23:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

A far simpler idea would be to proxy your models and say they "count as" units of another Codex. A classic example of this would be taking your Fantasy Dwarves, giving them guns and other whutnots, calling them Squats and saying they count as Orks.

You want to do an Inquisitor army? Look at the numerous units out there for the Imperial Guard, Marines, and both Daemonhunter and Witchhunters. Look at the assorted units and think "how can I use this to represent something else..." With this you can get such items like Quad Bikes which count as Rough Riders, Stormtroopers which count as Gue'vesa'la, or a Witch Hunter Priest with Blessed Weapon which counts as a Tau Ethereal...be creative, and see where statlines and abilities merge...
Old 22 Feb 2008, 06:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicJuggler
A classic example of this would be taking your Fantasy Dwarves, giving them guns and other whutnots, calling them Squats and saying they count as Orks.
That is exactly what we did yesterday! My friend didn't have enough points for a thousand point battle, so he used dome of his WHB goblins as grots, and dwarfs as lootaz =]

Anyway, so I may decide to go ahead with this, if its legal law wise, because i don't play in tournaments, and always play with people i know (Unless I'm at GW) and even if I do, I always have my Chaos ;D I was thinking perhaps a horde type army of inquisition. Like the Flagelants of WHB Empire, but 40k-ish, and a whole army of them ;D (Obviously, they will have an army list and such :P)

Quote:
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Old 22 Feb 2008, 11:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You want a flagellant-heavy army? Simple...play Witch Hunters, and once you have your core HQ and two troops filled out (either Sisters of Battle or Inquistiorial Stormtroopers/Adeptus Arbites), you can then fill the rest of the Troop Choices with Zealots, using your flagellant models to stand in place. The rules were in a white dwarf somewhere...they shouldn't be too hard to find...the unit itself while fragile will rarely run off the battlefield considering they treat negative morale modifiers as positive plus you can place a lot of hidden Eviscerators (Chainfist-equivalents) in it.

For extra flagellating goodness, add a Priest to one of the Zealot squads, as it'll allow them to reroll their to-hits on their first turn of smashing stuff up in melee (i.e. if they get the charge). As long as your army has at least one Priest, you can then take one of the deadliest melee units in the game: the Arco-Flagellant.
Old 22 Feb 2008, 18:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

The manager of my local GW created an adeptus mechanicus army... all he did was base every unit off of another pre-existing unit, i.e. an adeptus "drill machine" was based off of a defiler. As long as you don't use it in tournaments, tell your opponent, and give everything balanced points, most people should be fine with it.

Aose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2008, 18:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aose
The manager of my local GW created an adeptus mechanicus army... all he did was base every unit off of another pre-existing unit, i.e. an adeptus "drill machine" was based off of a defiler. As long as you don't use it in tournaments, tell your opponent, and give everything balanced points, most people should be fine with it.
This is what I mean by Proxying...although the player was able to use his Iron Warriors proxied as AdMech in a Rogue Trader tourney.
Old 22 Feb 2008, 19:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like the idea of the adeptus mechanicus...

Mind asking him if i can steal it? :P

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 23 Feb 2008, 06:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

Pretty sure you wouldn't even need to ask for that one...

There was an awesome AdMech army in an older White Dwarf using the Lost and the Damned rules. It was great. I'd find the issue number, but I'm heading for bed and work in the morning. I want to say it was something like issue 245.

Ok, I lied. I actually found the issue number and it was 308. Here's a linky to a topic where this was discussed a while back. .mace. provides an truely awesome link there, too, to an amazing AdMech army.

Best of luck,

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote