Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Falling Back
Old 19 Feb 2008, 17:11   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Falling Back

I ran into a situation regarding the falling back rules this past weekend. I managed to spook some Marines into running away after taking heavy casualties. Their first fall back move was obstructed by one of my opponent's own tanks. The models had a 1 inch gap beside the tank where they could squeeze in and still stay within their fall back corridor.

They were unable to regroup the next turn due to my assault squad being in close proximity and this time they ran smack into my opponent's line of base-to-base Devistators. The line of devistators was wider than the fall back corridor of the fleeing (and shrieking, I might add) Marines. My interpretation of the rules is that as the fall back corridor was blocked and the Marines could not continue within it without doubling back, they would be destroyed as per the fall back rules. My opponent felt that models could not be blocked in and destroyed by friendly models. We diced off on it and the models were allowed to survive (a nearby drop podded Dreadnought ensured that they continued their paniced dash off the table). Any thoughts on this issue?
Old 20 Feb 2008, 16:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Falling Back

How are they doubling back? Sounds like they just had to get around the Marine line.
Old 20 Feb 2008, 19:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Don't Marines always regroup? (I need to go re-read those rules)

I don't think they would be destroyed, because squads can move through other squads, and on top of that they are friendly squads.

The surrounded rule talks about being surrounded by enemy models, not friendly models.

Aose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2008, 19:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Marines do not always regroup. If there is an enemy unit within 6" then they keep running.

The way the rule reads is that they auto-pass their regroup. And they can regroup even if below half. But they must adhere to the other rules for regrouping.

Also Models can not move through other models. Regardless if these are friendly are emeny models.
JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2008, 20:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBunny
Also Models can not move through other models. Regardless if these are friendly are emeny models.
No but they can move through other units.

The space marines can only be blocked off by enemies or impassable terrain (including lines of friendly tanks).

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2008, 20:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

OK so what you are telling me is that I can not move through a model if my base will not fit, but I can move through a unit (which is made up of models)?

I hope I did not come across as rude. I am generally confused on this one. I am also at work so I can not check my rule book until later tonight.

I always thought that is there is not enough room for the base to fit then the model can not move through. I could be completely wrong.
JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2008, 09:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

You can't move through friendly or enemy units, but you can go around them, paragraph 8 on page 48 under the Fall Back! section. As long as you don't have to move in the direction you were coming in you can go around anthing, and you don't have to stay in the fall back corridor, but must try to get back in the corridor as soon as possible.

Examples all running down.

Here the o's are SM and the x's are enemies/allies/terrain

o
o o

XXXXXX

They will hit the obstruction and then run left or right around it, and then back into the corridor on the other side.

o
o o

x x
xxxxxxxxxx

In this example the SM are all dead, as they have to double back to get around the obstruction.

scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2008, 13:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

First time I've ever given a karma. Well written Scoutfox. It's worth noting that if those X's were friendly and there was a gap wide enough for a marine to fit through the Marines would run through the gap. By contrast, if they were enemies the 1" no-go zone would stop them.