Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Close Combat rules clarification
Old 18 Feb 2008, 05:57   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Close Combat rules clarification

Well I was reading the rules for close combat weapons today because I'm a little confused. The paragraph in itself is fairly vague. Saying something like "close combat weapons confer an addition attack..."

So, for example, would a Junior Officer with a power fist and a bolt pistol get an addition attack in close combat (seeing as how a bolt pistol is a close combat weapon).

Or does a model have to have two close combat weapons to get that additional attack? Like a bolt pistol and a close combat weapon (chainsword for example). I know this is true, but I was wondering if it was the only truth?
justinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2008, 06:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to fat_tree
Default Re: Close Combat rules clarification

Okay. To make this simple, if a model has an additional close combat weapon they get an extra attack.

example
Drednaought has 3 base attacks (i think), add a 2nd close combat arm and then it adds another 1+ attacks
fat_tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2008, 06:07   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

So a dreadnought with an assault cannon and a close combat weapon would not get it?

...besides, how many dreadnoughts out there can get an additional close combat weapon? Isn't there just a specific Blood Angels variant?

Heh, sorry, I think I'm just overcomplicating a rather simple subject.
Old 18 Feb 2008, 06:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

NO no no no no, your not complicating it. A drednaought with an assult cannon and CC weapon only get the base 3. I think normal SM dreds can replace the ranged weapon for another cc weapon, Choas ones can.

The Furisio drednought for the blood angels gets 4 attacks because it has another close combat weapon.

Okay another (more difficult) example
A kroot with kroot rifle has 1 base attack but the kroot rifle confers another attack because it is counted as an additional close combat wepon.

Hope that helps
Old 18 Feb 2008, 06:14   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Okay, I think I got it now. One last example...

Assault Marine Vet. with a power weapon and a combat shield. The combat shield is/allows for a close combat weapon to be used in that hand (or it counts as one itself). The power weapon only requires a single hand to wield, but is not a close combat weapon.

So, if this model has 1 base attack, it does not get any additional attacks?

And no, I don't believe "normal" space marine dreadnoughts can have additional close combat weapons.
Old 18 Feb 2008, 06:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yes the vet. Sargent gets an extra attack for the additional weapon.

example
A Sargent has 2 base attacks, With the addition of another close combat weapon IE. combat shield which incorporates a bolt pistol he get an extra attack meaning he get 3 attacks unless on the charge where he get an additional 1 for charging
Old 18 Feb 2008, 06:23   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

So, in conclusion you don't have to have 2 close combat weapons for the attack bonus, just one, and another weapon (the 2nd weapon only needing one hand to wield, and be a weapon that is used for hand to hand purposes)?

(this is how I've been playing thus far)
Old 18 Feb 2008, 06:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

you lost me when you started talking in the brackets but yeah, before all that its right, but i will fix up what you said

So, in conclusion you don't have to have 2 close combat weapons for the attack bonus, just one, and the other weapon is the one that gives you the bonus.

Or
If you have a base of 1 attack and have 2 close combat weapons like, power sword and combat shield you get an extra attack because of the bolter attached to the shield

Old 18 Feb 2008, 06:30   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Okay, then my fears have been laid to rest, now I'm going to do the same. Goodnight.
Old 18 Feb 2008, 10:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Eighty

Sorry to muddy the waters, but since when did combat shields come with bolt pistols?

Don't forget, close combat weapon doesn't just refer to the standard chainsword and pistol etc, but also all the more exotic stuff such as thunderhammers, force swords and daemonhammers.