Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need help deciding on army!!
Old 15 Feb 2008, 17:07   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Need help deciding on army!!

Hi
Iam pretty new to Warhammer 40k and I need some help on picking between two races...
Tau or Space Marines (black templar)
If you could give me some advice or help me decide thatd be a lot of help
AsDeathApproaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 20:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar
Default Re: Need help deciding on army!!

well, it all depends upon what you want for your army. What do you look for? What do you want to do?
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 20:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I can tell you why I chose Tau. I can't speak for Black Templars because I'm not familiar with the various chapters of Space Marine.

The tau are, more or less, good guys of the 40k universe. The Imperium of Man is hardly evil, I admit, but the idea of clones made from this psionic blob of an emperor is pretty creepy to me.

Tau fight at range. The idea of battlefields this far into the future breaking down into fistfights just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't like psykers, which the tau don't have.

The clincher, though, was the look of the tau vehicles. The devilfish, and the tanks based on it, are the coolest looking vehicles on the field, although some of the eldar's are a close second.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 21:24   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

The Black Templar are a primarily CC based army(or we should've been more than we are!) They run towards you. You shoot them, they run towards you. We have the use of the Vow System, which allows for more deapth, and gets rid of certain down points, or allows you to do better in cc. Or against psykers, etc.

We are the only army that can Take Landraider Crusaders as dedicated trasports for just about everything.

One thing that you have to remember is they have a steep learning curve. IE be Prepared to Lose. A lot. It took me about 6 months to a year before I started to really get the hang of the army.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 22:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would say if you are looking for a very flexible army, go with Tau. Tau battlesuits weapons can be magnetized so you can walk into any battle, and custom build your battlesuits to defeat your current foe, and the customization doesnt stop there, you can change Hammerhead weapons and Pirahna weapons with magnets so you can choose what you need before you fight. You will almost never go into a battle without the weapons you need if you do this.

Also, alot of people dont give kroot the respect they deserve. They are very capable close combat fighters. My kroot have slaughter orks, eldar, imperial guard and tyranids time after time. Keep in mind I have 12 Kroot Hounds with I 5 so I can usually get quite a few attacks before my enemy gets to fight back. I also have pretty much the largest Kroot squad you can have (12 hounds, 16 carnivores, shaper, 3 krootox). I also have a converted shaper model that I use the Anghkor Prok rules for, which doubles the usefulness of my kroot. The reason I say all this is to let you know, Tau have a way to fight back in CC, where not defenseless.
Old 15 Feb 2008, 22:12   #6 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

I play both those armies myself, and I know the good & bad of them both.

Tau

Tau have the best basic infantry gun of all, able to outshoot anything with ease but are bad at close combat & have no heavy weapons for basic troopers.

They have access to two mercenary units, the kroot (with give them a unit that is relatively good in close combat) & the vespid (which give the tau some good MEQ killing power)

They have access to battlesuits, which give them heavy weapons & a good way to annoy your opponent by jumping to and from cover and hiding from a lot of enemy shots.

Stealth suits are a great stealth unit & they are untouchable at range thanks to their stealth field generator, but they will usually be close to the enemy because of the short range of their weapons.

Their vehicles look like the best of all and pack heavy weapons but since they have sub-par secondary weapons, a "weapon destroyed" result will leave them useless.

And finally, FoF is one of the best tactics in the game and will annoy the hell out of your opponents.

So, in conclusion, Tau are a great shooty army that can manouver better than any army (except eldar & dark eldar) but are bad in close combat.

Black Templars

Black Templars have good standard guns & access to heavy weapons but "Righteous Zeal" can make a real mess of your plan by moving you closer to the enemy & "Kill Them All" makes it harder to make target priority tests.

Black Templars are fearless in close combat which is great for your large squads which will not run away so easily but your small squads will suffer leadership damage and be forced to make saves (which is bad for neophytes)

The Emperor's champion is really good in close combat, especially when you give it the vow "Accept Any Challenge, No Matter the Odds".

Assault Terminators are Godly for the Templar. Add a chaplain, lightning claws, a crusader transport & "Accept Any Challenge, No Matter the Odds", and you will see squad after squad drop. Of course, this is expensive & should never be used in a game with less than 2000 points.

Sword Brethren are great in close combat with "Furious Charge" or "Counter-Attack" or as an Infiltrating fire support squad, but since they are the only units that can't take a crusader transport, you will have to use up valuable Heavy Support slots for a transport.

Although neophytes have weaker armor and worse WS, they still give a lot of extra attacks and meat shields to any foot-slogging troops.

And don't forget, since you can take crusaders as transports, so imagine in larger games with 5 or 6 of those moving down the field. Priceless ;D

So, in conclusion, Black Templar are a great close-combat army and can have a lot of big tanks but can be bad at shooting heavy weapons.

Really it depends what you want. Tau are shooty & Black Templars are close-combaty. Just pick which you prefer. (although I recommend Tau :funny.

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 23:29   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

AC you can fire heavy weapons after a Zeal, all it is a consolidation move. Troops do not count as moving for the purposes of firing.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2008, 08:00   #8 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

Whoops :-[ sorry I didn't know that. I just started BT a month ago.

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2008, 10:41   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

And if you are having such a hard time deciding try orks - you can have shooty army, an assaulty army, or a mixture of the two, and if you don't make a mistake on your army list then it is almost guarantedd to be effective and (most importantly) entertaining.

Not only that theres a million different conversion opportunities and list combinations - your army won't be the same as anybody elses.

But if you have your heart set on the other two lesser races then by all means take them
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2008, 11:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to shaso kunas

templars!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legatus Glacies(Icer)
We are the only army that can Take Landraider Crusaders as dedicated trasports for just about everything.
you're wrong about that, they van take land raider crusaders as an undedicated transport for literally anything!!

kunas
shaso kunas is offline   Reply With Quote