Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Bit Ordering from GW??
Old 11 Feb 2008, 22:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Bit Ordering from GW??

So from my understanding we can only order box sets from GW, so allot of the classic range stuff I used to buy is no longer avialble. Any ideals why GW did this?

[img width=650 height=169]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1077/ordounlimitedsigcopybcopylc7.jpg[/img]
arcadiabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2008, 22:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox
Default Re: Bit Ordering from GW??

Timjim doesn't like GW.

Edited by FKE to not be derogatory.

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2008, 23:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

No, you didn't. Better edit that post. ;D

Supposedly they're just re-tooling, they'll be bringing back stuff in "bitz packs" mostly, and I don't think anyone knows about the classic models.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2008, 04:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

It's a bit sad to see the bitz go, but then I never really did buy bitz due to their abhorrent prices. The real shame though is that this is going to kill any creativity that people had. No more individual btiz = no more cool conversions. I seriously wonder if people will buy that many bitz packs. The whole point was for customization.
Old 12 Feb 2008, 07:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

or beacuse there is no way they could keep stocks up without wasting tonnes of money.

just how many of each thing should they stock??

yes you can no longer buy that precious sword if your saint celestines one falls to bits ( > ) but how many would you expect them to hold - 1, 100, 1000+ ???

they were probably loosing loads of money keeping these things stocked and that i think is why they changed it....... and why some of the packs seem to be just left over junk
Old 12 Feb 2008, 07:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Yeah, like the goff rockers, as cool as they are.. I count them as common now. Not classic _

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2008, 15:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The simple reason, money.

The complex reason:

GW has had bits sitting in their warehouse that have not sold in over three years. Every year GW has to have an inventory. That means that every year GW has to pay someone to count the same peices every year. Yes they have to physically count them even if none were bought or sold.

Another thing is the space required to store all of the slow moving bits. In any warehousing industry space is one of your biggest assets. If you have 10% of your available space being used for items that have not sold in three years, you are wasting space and therefor money.

GW is retooling their bits ordering process. The exact details have not been released, because more than likely they have not been finalized.

The overall process is for them to shut down bits/classic ordering for a while. This swill allow them to go through every item and determine if it will still be sold as an individual bit, or if it will be packaged with other like bits.

This might take sometime, but the plan is to bring back bits ording in a reasonable time frame. And in a reasonable manner.

In case you are wondering, the cost of counting/ warehousing items that are not moving can run into the thousands of dollars if not tens of thousands depending on the number of items and the quanities of each item.
JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2008, 20:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Shoulder pads are already back...cheaper too, eight bucks per ten pack instead of five bucks per five pack. The downside is that they are slightly smaller than the old pads...and they have a ton more flash on them.

Meh. On a side note, if anyone has spare Dante's jetpacks, I need a bunch of those buggers. Five per honor guard comes out to 70 for the chapter(one honor guard per char and comp commander), and I bought a whopping 5 before the bits ordering went away, and those took me four months to get(now you see why I wasnt in a hurry to throw money for the whole lot). If you have extras, or want dante's bodys for conversions, let me know.

I was perfectly ok with them trimming off the old stuff nobody ever bought, and I LOVE the idea of bits packs, since I do extensive conversion, but the way things are now is killing me.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2008, 22:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
Shoulder pads are already back...cheaper too, eight bucks per ten pack instead of five bucks per five pack. The downside is that they are slightly smaller than the old pads...and they have a ton more flash on them.

Meh. On a side note, if anyone has spare Dante's jetpacks, I need a bunch of those buggers. Five per honor guard comes out to 70 for the chapter(one honor guard per char and comp commander), and I bought a whopping 5 before the bits ordering went away, and those took me four months to get(now you see why I wasnt in a hurry to throw money for the whole lot). If you have extras, or want dante's bodys for conversions, let me know.

I was perfectly ok with them trimming off the old stuff nobody ever bought, and I LOVE the idea of bits packs, since I do extensive conversion, but the way things are now is killing me.
You have 14 HQ's ?
JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2008, 22:04   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Another cost they had to factor in was the fact that everything had a part code and all you really needed to place an order was a qty and an item code back when it was still available. Tracking down a particular component out of the thousands they keep in stock was pretty time consuming unless it was something that no command can do without (for example, unit boxed sets).

Overall, I think it may prove a good idea, but it all depends upon how it is implemented.
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote