Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Who actually won the Dark Crusade?
Old 11 Feb 2008, 16:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Commissar_Will
Default Who actually won the Dark Crusade?

DoW: Dark Crusade was a brilliant game, and created several pretty fun commanders. However, it is an absolute nightmare for fluff, in that seven people could well have won it, and if one of them wins then most of the other commanders end up dead. What I want to know is, was there any official winner? It probably wouldn't be one of the races who's commander survives no matter what, such as the Orks, but who is it? Or is the answer just "there is no answer?" Apart from anything else, people might want to convert one of the commanders and use him in battles, and they might find it quite hard to fight if they've been cut to bits in the Dark Crusade.

My Space Marine project log
Commissar_Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2008, 16:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Who actually won the Dark Crusade?

We only found the outcome of the other DoW games when Dark Crusade came out. It's likely we'll be able to deduce who won Dark Crusade from who's in Soulstorm.
Old 11 Feb 2008, 17:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Apparently Tau, if you read the GW website, France, it says that O'kais managed to take Kronos.

yay!
Old 11 Feb 2008, 19:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmsword
Apparently Tau, if you read the GW website, France, it says that O'kais managed to take Kronos.
Really. My save games suggest that the Orks clobbered all the other races up?

It's a computer game and in my mind is not cannon fluff, and very far from it. Like it says in the small script 'based on'. Therefore I don't take any of it to be cannon.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2008, 19:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Siruk

It was probably the marines.
They always win.

Or it was a stalemate, and the planet blew up and the forces all went their separate ways.

Siruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2008, 20:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Personally, I'd say that if a Games Workshop website mentioned that the Tau were the "victors" on Kronos, then it's canon enough if approached from that viewpoint.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2008, 21:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Grr.. Stinkin' Tau.. What they need is a good smacking back into place..*grumble grumble*
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2008, 21:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

You mean like the one they got in the Typha IV Campaign? [Ref: Tactica Aeronautica]

Or perhaps during the First Nimbosa Annexation? [Ref: Black Templars Codex]

Or maybe you're referring to the thorough beating they received during the opening stages of the Damocles Gulf Crusade? Those poor, poor fish on Sy'l'kell. [Ref: Tau Codex, Star of Damocles]

Tau are getting a good smacking - they just always have contingencies on how to turn said smackings into advantages in one way or another.

They effectively crippled Typha IV while showing the Imperium they could attack well outside their territory, with Nimbosa they're theoretically still at war over it and showing the Imperium they eventually get what they want, and with the Damocles Gulf Crusade they showed the Imperium that they're a pretty formidable enemy - more so now than before with an expansion and a half since then.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

Doombringer

Old 11 Feb 2008, 22:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Oh I know, and the Typha-IV stuff really calmed that part of me down, they just need more smackings!! Haha! [ravinglunaticmode]

Didn't they get kicked off of Nimbosa after the Marines saved the day, or is there more background now?
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2008, 00:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

By my logic (compiling various information from a multitude of sources and trying to make it all fit as if they were puzzle pieces made of various geometric shapes), Brightsword initially invaded Nimbosa roughly between 992-995.M41. During this time, Brightsword initially invaded and exterminated the entirety of the PDF and Civilian population.[sup]1[/sup]

After something like four months of waiting, the Imperium finally retaliated with a heavy contingent of Guard forces, who were also promptly dispatched after some heavy fighting in the Koloth Gorge Massacre. Following the events that transpired at the Koloth Gorge, Brightsword was called back to T'au and censured for his merciless and over-aggressive actions[sup]2[/sup], and a large multi-Chapter force of Space Marines (primarily the Black Templars) accompanied by another couple regiments of Guard retook Nimbosa in Brightsword's absence.[sup]3[/sup]

Kill Team took place ca. 996.M41[sup]4[/sup], giving us a semi-set-in-stone date of Brightsword's death.

Presumably, some time afterwards (likely at the onset of or during the Third Sphere Expansion ca. 998.M41-002.M42) another force of Tau under Commander Shadowsun's banner took the fight back to the Imperium and are in the process of taking Nimbosa back.[sup]5[/sup]

---

[sup]1[/sup] - Tau Codex, pgs. 54-55 / Tau Empire Codex, pgs. 14-15
[sup]2[/sup] - Tau Empire Codex, pg. 15
[sup]3[/sup] - Black Templars Codex, pg. 63 / Some obscure White Dwarf I can't remember the number for
[sup]4[/sup] - Kill Team made specific reference to Lt. Kage serving in the Defense of Ichar IV against Hive Fleet Kraken roughly two years earlier (ca. 993-994.M41)
[sup]5[/sup] - Death on High: The Ultramarines' Assault on Nimbosa makes specific reference to "The recent loss of the 4th Company's Captain and its senior Sergeant" (Uriel Ventris and Pasanius), which occurred in 001.M42 as per Dead Sky, Black Sun.

Doombringer