Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

how important is fluff??
View Poll Results: how important is having a fluffy army
EVERYONE (without exception) should have a full background and biography for their army and its characters 7 9.21%
an army should have a full written/typed background 15 19.74%
the list/models should follow the guidelines in thier codex and not deviate 5 6.58%
players should include elements of fluff (only 1 squad of terminators for example in a basic marine army) 22 28.95%
players should not consider fluff unless they wish to, the codex tells you how to write your list 25 32.89%
who cares about fluff, its some nonsense that is nothing to do with the rules 2 2.63%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06 Feb 2008, 15:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default how important is fluff??

i am not going to mince words here, i was...... "inspired" to write this thread by a series of posts from Wargamer in this thread:

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=60526.15

now, as much as i can see where wargamer is coming from here, i completely disaggree.

i want to put the question to the world and see how important fluff is to everyone.

personally, i dont give the slightest damn about fluff - i use the models i like becuase they look cool. i dont even consider fluff with most of my lists.

yet for all that, i have never had any trouble getting a game from anyone i ask (and i usually get challenged). that includes new players.

so to reinforce my question:

do you think that fluff is important enough that all players should, as an unwritten rule, include some sort of background/fluff in or with all of thier armylists
Old 06 Feb 2008, 15:44   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: how important is fluff??

If you're going to disagree, I'd love to know why. I would put good money that you would never have started playing 40K to begin with if it didn't have any Fluff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2008, 15:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

I'm going to agree with Wargamer on this one.

When each player actually puts some thought into the background material when constructing his/her army list, pays attention to the specific objectives of the game and tries not to metagame too much, and embellishes their specific force with that extra bit of detail and backstory for their squads/vehicles/commanders, it makes playing that much more enjoyable.

Not considering the background in the slightest or playing with a complete lack of objectives is then, to me, just moving little plastic toys around and rolling dice - something I wouldn't waste my time with in the slightest if it didn't have some kind of overriding point other than attaining "bragging rights" for knowing exactly how many wins, losses, and draws an individual has.

To use an example from the thread you linked, if I was ever given the "opportunity" to play an army of Necrons led by Eldrad Ulthran with a contingent of Carnifexes backing them up, I'd graciously pass.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2008, 16:02   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I, personally love fluff. What I like to do is find the models I think look cool (and therefore usually like) and the tactics I like, and if it's possible use fluff to fuse them together in my army.

A small example of this is my space marine army I'm working on, where I have a veteran squad and a terminator squad, but not vehicles. My reasoning for the former is that the chapter (I made up) is pre-heresy (well started during it) and therefore has a lot of ancient stuff. As for the latter, I chose the see but don't be seen trait because I love the idea of infiltrating, and I don't think noisey armoured vehicles would be good at it.

So I justified (in my opinion anyways) using two model builds that I love the look/idea of.

I'd say if you're going to do something crazy, as long as you have a great story behind it, that makes..some amount of sense, then it's all good.
justinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2008, 16:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

you misunderstand me here.

i give no thought to the fluff of an army when i make it (would a farseer REALLY go to 2 toe with every dreadnought/defiler that enters her LOS) but i LOVE the backstory to 40k.

that may sound a bit strange so let me explain:

i started 40k becuase of the models, no other reason. i have read EVERY scourse of fluff that someone has put before me (and i have based armies around them before - my elysians for example).

and:

Quote:
I would put good money that you would never have started playing 40K to begin with if it didn't have any Fluff.
i play chess quite often, i have never stopped to think of the "fluff behind the battle"

it is the same here.

if asked to come up with fluffy lists i can and will, but i find it a tedious process (i am meticulous when it comes to writing backgrounds - i have to make sure even the weather is accurate )

but i see nothing wrong with fielding 2 commanders in a dark angels army (barring that i think it is a waste of points ), even if it means i get 2 iron halos (of which i am told there are 3 in the imperium)

i will admit i am a powergamer. i write my lists to win. i do not pour over army books untill i have checked and re-checked every loophole as i think that ruins the fun in the game but i will only go easy on an opponent if they (or someone else) asks me to.

i can think of no-one in my store who has a background listed for their army. i can think of plenty of people who have built their lists "based" on fluff - we have one guy who has a full army of pre-heresy world eaters based on the horus heresy books for example (and he has converted chaos models to have the old style armour and hand made his dreadnoughts - they look pretty amazing).

but like i said in my original post - i can see where you are coming from wargamer, i do like hearing the backgrounds to peoples armies here on the website (the place i actually found the inspiration to start the elysians). i just cant aggree with arguing other players becuase they do not share the same view.

edit: i should probably add - i work 0800 till 1700, and am then too tired to do much between 1701 and 0759 so i dont get much time to write anything
Old 06 Feb 2008, 16:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Fluff is not necessary to build your army list. So my choice is, "players should not consider fluff unless they wish to, the codex tells you how to write your list."

However, the poll options seem to be slanted toward a certain viewpoint, so I should explain my choice.

It is my opinion that if you create/use fluff for your army, you and your opponent will be more likely to have fun and entertaining games.

However, it is certainly possible (and common) to have fun and entertaining games without fluff. So it is not necessary, but I highly recommend it as it can be a very rewarding aspect of the hobby.
Old 06 Feb 2008, 16:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I appreciate when players have Fluff, but I find that haveing the veiw of "you need fluff" to be off putting. especially for a player like me, who can't decide what type of list to run.

I think that Fluff is nice, and for big battles it could be important, but really all that I want is to have fun, not to tell a story.
Old 06 Feb 2008, 16:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hi El,

Hows it going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Magnifico
personally, i dont give the slightest damn about fluff - i use the models i like becuase they look cool. i dont even consider fluff with most of my lists.
Actually your all Jetbike and Vyper Eldar patrol that I fought against last week was extremely fluffy in the context of eldar.

Army fluff is really improtant, and whilst it may not play a direct part in designing a 'winning' army, if you've read (and bought into) enough of your army's fluff it can't fail to have a unconscious effect on army composition.

I play chess and 40k, but for different reasons...

Third Sphere

Old 06 Feb 2008, 16:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I agree that fluff is not necessary to building a force, but it gives meaning to my army ("The Intervenor Crusaders are here to arrest your commander for gross heresy"). On the other hand, I don't necessarily deny my forces the best weaponry or setup just to fit the fluff, I want to win just as much as the next guy..
davidgr33n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2008, 16:59   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

For me, I will have a general theme in mind when I start making an army before I write any fluff. Note that I separate theme and fluff from each other for theme is quite different from fluff, as a theme is a concept that your army goes by look-wise and game-wise, while fluff is the storyline that explains why the choices are so in the 40k universe and also explaining more about the army in their place in the 40k universe and also their exploits.

In addition, I fancy myself as a modeler/converter with a healthy dose of storytelling as I make my models while at the same time explaining why on earth I am making it like that. So basically fluff is my way of making sense of the madness of my conversions and ultimately the theme of the army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote