Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I need someone's opinion
Old 26 Jan 2008, 18:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Location: Locked in an imaginary battle between good and evil
Default I need someone's opinion

Well its been a while since I played a good game of 40K and I really need a good clean start which means making a new army so I thought it would help if I got advice from some real veterans. I was thinking of an close combat army that is extremely speedy and can soak up firepower. Any suggestions?

"Float like a Butterfly, Sting like a Bee, Your hands can't hit what your eyes can't see"

Mungini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2008, 19:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha
Default Re: I need someone's opinion

A close combat army, that is quick, and can soak up firepower? Sounds like Tyranids. :P
Possibly the new Orks too. I'm out of the swing with new 40k releases, but I've heard they are pretty good.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2008, 12:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

Im into orks and I have the 'nid dex. It sounds like obvious choices. They can both be configured to be speedy, monstrous and/ or horde, at your leisure. I'm a big fan of the new ork dex. Its customizable, depending on your HQ choices.

Take an ork warboss, on an attack bike, with 9 nobs and a painboy on bikes too. Thats a possible T5 on bikes with an endless amount of attacks, possibly with power claws, 4+ saves, 4+ automatic cover saves, possible 5+ invulnerable cybork saves for the lucky battlecannon hits, and feel no pain, with a complimentary S5 Assault 3 twin linked gun on the charge, pr model, besides whatever weaponry the individual nobs/boss/doc may sport, besides the standard "furious charge". Its an expensive setup though, only usable in big games. In REALLY big games you could field two of these squads, though some may call it somewhat cheesy. I would... And I would hate to face it. With anything...

Add that to some 20 other bikers or somesuch (with the twinlinked dakkaguns...) , and as many boys as you want in a few ramshackle trukks and you got a speedy army, that gets into CC QUITE fast and that really wont take a no for an answer. So they can take the punishment allright, either by caring little due to numbers, or due to be buffed up to caring little due to T and armor. Meganobs closing in on you will usually focus a lot of fire.

Tyranids, while often a horde army, lots of gaunts, can also be configured to be armed to (with) the teeth. Carnifexes, Tyrants and Tyranid warriors can easily provide decent amounts of killy close combat, with minimum amount of gaunts or genestealers.

Other alternatives, I could point you in the direction of Grey Knights, whom I believe can be quite lethal in CC too, though I dont know the exact setup. Various other marine variants, such as Khorne or Black Templar can also soak up a lot of hurt with their power armor, and deal some punishment in CC.

Where you dont want to go, is Dark Eldar. They are awesome in CC, but soaking damage aint their thing, really. Get a good salvo in on them and they drop like flies. Likewise with eldar, who can sport good CC punishment too using banshees, scorpions and NOT LEAST harlequins, who are absolutely extremely dangerous. Get a good salvo in on them, (if you can, with harlequins that is) and they drop.

Hope I helped.
Old 27 Jan 2008, 23:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Blood Angels. You can literally get a full army including troops that have Jet Packs.
ct_drummer_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2008, 00:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Black Templars...

Their Righteous Zeal makes 'em consolidate towards the nearest enemy plus with 5th ed coming up they'll also get the "run" rule, meaning they could move 7-12" in your turn, d6" in your opponent's turn and by then they could get into combat. Sure it's no jetpack but it still works =P
Old 28 Jan 2008, 05:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

5th for all we know could be late 2009. My local GW has said that theyve recieved an email from "management" saying that the pdf we got is a VERY early edition, and that 5th wont likely be this fall anyway. Specifics like "running" is speculation at best.

Conclusion:

We dont know jack about 5th edition.

That said, black templars would do, and they soak damage just fine...
Old 28 Jan 2008, 10:07   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I'm not sure there's much else I can add that hasn't already been covered, but from my own experiences Orks and Blood Angels are probably in the top two for "hard guy" assaulty armies. Chaos can do it pretty well too, no matter how much the winging little Powergamers cry Nerf. Khorne armies can fight just fine, and if you want something hard as nails and ten times as ugly, an assaulty-Nurgle army won't go anywhere in a hurry.

Tyranids, Dark Eldar and so on tend to be good in Assault too, but they don't endure fire exactly; they get hammered, but the idea is that enough are alive to jump the corpses and charge.

Look at Orks, or failing that look at almost any army with a 3+ Save.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2008, 16:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Location: Locked in an imaginary battle between good and evil

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions, they've been really useful and I'm now pretty sure about what I'm going to pick. Yay!

"Float like a Butterfly, Sting like a Bee, Your hands can't hit what your eyes can't see"

Mungini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2008, 17:00   #9 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

Some kind of biker army could do the trick aswell, as bikes can turbo boost. It also leaves you room for deciding which of the available armies you'd like to tailer around that theme. Space Marines, Chaos, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Orks are all viable choices.
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2008, 12:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungini
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions, they've been really useful and I'm now pretty sure about what I'm going to pick. Yay!
Reply here when youve decided.

Of course, it also comes down to simple preferences... I mean, an ork army may be the thing to field, but it can be daunting to paint with all those models. Grey Knights have enough useful and evil tools to be quite few and still pack an evil punch, if you choose to. On the other hand, if you like hilarious explosions and sending the only 60" vortex cannon with both the chance to roll a "everything is dead, remove everything under the (pie!) template" or a "the gun teleports itself into close combat with his target", orks is the thing. They do require a sorta strange mindset though. What reasoning do you have for picking what you want? You like painting, conversions, or you want to be able to speed-drybrush each squad in half an afternoon?