Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I am at a loss.
Old 21 Jan 2008, 00:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default I am at a loss.

My Warhammer career is possibly over, if not on hiatus. I have not painted any of my models, finishing my Dark Eldar army or the new additions to my Tau. I have not had the time or desire to play games at Games Workshop, and I have no one to play with outside of Games Workshop. I have figured it out to two reasons. First, I am tired of spending time with young kids. Simple really, they do not provide any challenge, any reward. I feel nothing but a twinge of embarrassment at being one of the oldest people around. My friends refuse to play, and thus I am unsupported. Second though, I am now deep into my dueling. I would rather spend time fighting with my Rapier, against foes who are equally if not greater of skill. Training for SCA combat with the team that I was asked to join. I find greater enjoyment in conversation and battle with people who are on the same level as me, above me, then below me. The clash of the steel of my sword, or crack of a pike on my buckler, the thrill of the kill. I just can't justify my continuation playing Warhammer 40k.
Should I find time and reason to continue, I will. There is a shot of pride when I look at my armies. But now, maybe just for now, I know I am done.
Old 21 Jan 2008, 01:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: I am at a loss.

It sounds like you need a break at least. So where you live there are no independent stores ? I would think you would have a better chance to find other vet players in a store like that.

I would just take a break and check around for vets ( if you haven't already ). Keep your armies because when you do get the urge to play or find another player who might pose a challenge you can pull them out .

I've always found having a wide variety of hobbies keeps one from burning out.

I am your lighted way and I am your darkest day. -Godsmack
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2008, 04:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yea what are you gonna do when you blow that rotator cuff out.... need somthing to do... ... hell i used to go to the Gym alot. Then blew my rotator out... I started to play 40k again. so save your stuff
Old 21 Jan 2008, 05:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well that really sucks. As great as 40k is it's sort of a social hobby (though I get by on just painting). Hopefully you'll run into someone else who does share your hobby one day.
Old 21 Jan 2008, 05:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Download Vassal, and play against the competant players of this forum.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2008, 05:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

How does that work, anyway? I have VASSAL but never used it. I don't even know the rules either, are the rules built into the game or do you need to know what you're doing? ;D

Anyway, like others are saying just take a break for a while. I don't really have anyone to play with around here either (and thus no motivation to actually paint anything). Just look at it this way, those kids will get older and play better eventually, that's better than having no one to play with, and spending so much time and money on something just to eBay it for 1/4 what you put into it. :P

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2008, 17:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I took a break from wargaming... for about 15 years.

I gamed a fair bit at school, in the days before games workshop. It got a bit stale, I went to University, took up sport parachuting and rugby, joined the Forces, saw the world, got married, had children. Then sort of fell back into it when I met some other wargamers at a station I was posted to. Joined a couple of Wargames Clubs, and discovered that wargaming had moved on a lot while I'd been doing other things, so started up again. Left the Forces, found a good club in the local area, got my eldest son into it and now I go whenever I can. In between games, painting minis is a good way to relax and unwind.

I still have other interests and demands on my time, which makes the gaming a pleasant break. Plus, I don't stick with any one game system - there is a huge world of gaming outside of Warhammer (that GW keeps very quiet about) and I'd say that 40K and WFB make up about 50% of my total gaming interest - I do a lot of historical stuff in a variety of scales.

So take a break, box up your minis and stick them in the loft. If you don't have the urge to dig them out after a year or so, consider eBay as an option.

You may come back to gaming at some point, you may not. Bottom line - Nobody said a hobby is for life; its supposed to be fun. If you've stopped enjoying it, it's time for a change of hobby.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 22:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ya, the break sounds good. I won't sell any of my stuff, seeing as I spent so much time on it, and Dark Eldar will probably have been discontinued or something like that by the time I come back, so their stuff will be impossible to find. Just run with my sword play and strive to be the best at that for now. Thanks guys.
I will continue to come to the forms and everything. Tauonline is just to good of a site to not want to see what is going on.