Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ever Had Anyone throw a Tantrum, Pack up and Leave During a Game?
Old 18 Jan 2008, 21:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Ever Had Anyone throw a Tantrum, Pack up and Leave During a Game?

Inspired by a thread on warseer, have you ever had someone lose it during a battle, pack up and leave? Tell us about it!
Shas O Mont-ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2008, 22:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1
Default Re: Ever Had Anyone throw a Tantrum, Pack up and Leave During a Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Omnissiah
Inspired by a thread on warseer, have you ever had someone lose it during a battle, pack up and leave? Tell us about it!
Closest I've had to that was I was playing my friend, who's a bit of a sore loser. He plays necrons and a large part of his strategy is using VoD to move a large squad of Immortals to my lines (at least when I play Tau). This particular battle he had his Lord standing at the very front of the army. I got first turn and put a railgun solid slug through him. My opponent conceded and then went to his room (we were playing at his house) so I had to put away all the terrain.

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

korik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2008, 23:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Not me, but I've seen horrible matches in tournaments, one was in GT on second table, had all the judges surrounding it because they were constantly nitpicking..
And other things like one guy was from Italy, and all his team mates were stood behind him as they'd finished they'd game, and were all making comments in Italian.. so no one knew if they were helping the guy playing..
And another had a foreign list.. which turned out to be illegal in the end.. and a guy tried shooting the spike on my friends defiler.. so he broke it off lol.

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2008, 23:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I've heard plenty of horror stories but never had that happen to me though I've considered walking away from some games in disgust at the attitude and actions of my opponents from time to time.

However there was a game where I was playing a friend of mine and he called an end to the game by turn 3 and was thoroughly pissed. Yet it was not because I was cheating or anything, it was because as the game progressed we encountered more and more rules that he had been taught and had been playing wrong. Worse still he had been taught by the staff of the local Games Workshop store. So we ended the game, did a quick overview of the rules, then played a new game. It was surprising to see just how badly the GW staff had taught him the game, but oh well, such things happen.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2008, 23:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've never seen anyone throw a tantrum, packup and leave during a game. I've seen people quit games though, resigning when it became clear they couldn't win.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 23:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

I remember when I first started playing, I was taught completely wrong rules. It went
-movement at same time
-roll for shooting
-assault

So you stood no chance if you were close combat based.. and I was orks, though I was still best in club then only one person I couldn't beat.. the guy who taught me..
Then when I learnt proper rules.. he wouldn't play me..even in the club tournament where you had to play everyone :P he made up excuses..

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2008, 00:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Coralien of the Kradus 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40kenthusiast
I've seen people quit games though, resigning when it became clear they couldn't win.
In my store people do this all the time and seem to get frustrated when I won't lie down...I ALWAYS play six turns...I can't win but I can draw or lessen his win. To me the overriding cause is more important than the result, I think in fluff terms alot.

I have only walked out on one or two games...I've seen staff walk out of similar games too. A chaos (or it may have been Templars) army that on 1,500 points had three landraiders against a staff members Iyanden army. He walk off after deciding that 3 landraiders and two five man squads wasn't fair. Another time the manager walked out baceause a high elf player saw he was playing the managers undead and altered the army list in the minutes before the game once all of the managers stuff was on the table ready for set up, he edited it to beat undead...

Same sort of situations for me, when someone is cheating, or has built an army that turns out not to be fun to play against, I don't mind usually but when the two are combined I just can't playit anymore.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 02:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

An old roomamte of a buddy of mine used to do this all the time. One game he punched a hole in the wall...he also left dice-sized dimples in the wall where the dice violently connected.

I could never understand why they let him play in tournaments...he always quite the tourneys early over stupid crap.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2008, 02:47   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40kenthusiast
I've never seen anyone throw a tantrum, packup and leave during a game. I've seen people quit games though, resigning when it became clear they couldn't win.
Ditto about it. I have seen people who whines and stuff when things aren't going their way, but never did I see anyone walk out from a game. The only instance I see people walk out is when their armies are obliterated off the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2008, 04:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'll admit, I myself have actually stormed off in the middle of a game on more than one occasion. Of course, with some of the nonsense the locals have pulled, I feel I was justified in those situations. I cite the example of a rules argument over the definition of "three" as exhibit a in my case against being burned at the stake.

One such incident involved a 40k siege game. I had spent the last few days building the castle for this event and was ready to enjoy a good old fashioned afternoon of blowing stuff up. Eveyone unpacks nicely balanced armies with the same expectation. Everyone except the git claiming that he didn't have to obey FOC restrictions and brought a 600pt army of nothing but broadsides! (600pts being the size of force we were told to bring) If someone is going to blatantly try to ruin everyone else's fun like that, then I damn well think I have the right to leave!

So it's less "throwing a tantrum" and more "I'm not putting up with this crap"
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote