Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need some help with army selection
Old 17 Jan 2008, 07:05   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Need some help with army selection

Hi I'm coming back after some time away and am looking for a fresh army. I am stuck on what to do and need your asistance. i have collected SM, Necrons and Eldar and i am looking for a army thats not full of killy-monsters, not static and that is relativly simple to paint with a good variety of units. so please help me out and thanks for your sugestions ;D

do aussie people have accents or does everyone recognize us as ausies because we have no accent

why are people so stupid they have to sue for everything and take the fun out of life
Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 07:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky
Default Re: Need some help with army selection

Besides Guard, it looks like you've played all of the armies without killy monsters. Or you could start an Inquisitorial Taskforce and you could then work with your existing Marines. You could also start a Guard army as allies and then build off of that into their own independent army.

Normally I'd suggest you start Orks, but I don't think waving around the fact that we're the coolest, most convert-able, most fun to play, and all-around bestest is going to help.

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 08:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kiznti

Have you considered playing Imperial Guard? It would seem to fit what you're looking for-

No Killy monsters Base unit is hopeless on it's own, and the toughest things (outside tanks of course) you're likely to have are ogryns... which still aren't that much of a killy monster.

Not Static Well, like most armies, the Imperial guard can be played as either static or mobile. With plenty of transports, and some of the best tanks in the game, it should be simple enough to field a mobile force.

Simple to paint Well, guardsmen are simple all right. I suspect the main problem with painting them is going to be avoiding the boredom that comes after you paint 30 or so and realize you've barely got a thousand points. ;D

Variety of units Well, aside from the aforementioned Ogryns, Guardsmen, and Tanks, there are plenty of models to choose from- and there are also the different types of armies you can take, be it Cadian, Catchan, Pretorian, Valhallan, or something completely different. So yes, you can defiantly get a large number of different units as the IG. (And of course, there's always forgeworld...)

Read the Strange Gazzet. You know you want to!
Kiznti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 09:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Ducky
Besides Guard, it looks like you've played all of the armies without killy monsters.
Necrons have killy monsters you just haven't seen them yet.

To answer your question I'd go with Imperial Guard.
Death Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 11:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

How about Tau?

No killy monsters, just well trained soldiers. They can be pretty mobile, and they have three races to choose from for variety. Sounds perfect for you, really.

I'm not sure how easy they are to paint though. I've never painted any myself but they don't look too hard as they have large, flat areas of armour and not too many niggly little details.
Dom of Gears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 21:59   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

i think that it will either be orks or guard. Marines and necrons just have basic troops with to high a stat line. thanks

do aussie people have accents or does everyone recognize us as ausies because we have no accent

why are people so stupid they have to sue for everything and take the fun out of life
Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 22:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Indeed, it sounds like Tau are what you want.

The army has no killy monsters, actually they have no real "uber-units" your whole army has to work together in unison to acheive victory.

Tau certainly aren't static! Well they don't have to be, skimmers, battle suits with jetpacks, vespids are jump infantry wtih fleet and even the heavy broadsides can get slow and purposeful.

Tau can work well with just a couple of basic colours, just pick something striking and appealing. Lots of big flat areas, as long as you're neat they turn out pretty good.

Variety of units: At first glance tau seem a bit limited here, but when you look closer there is a fair bit of variety and choice within the list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote