Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

your local independant shop.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 10:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default your local independant shop.

tell me about it. does it give good service?

are they willing to make changes for you?

my local [website- www.gascupboard.co.uk] is brilliant, shortly after the first time i went in they had starting selling warhammer, in the past 3 months i've persuaded them into selling it with about 15% off. they have also recently started work on having gaming nights. i'm taking part in their first very soon. if anyone is ever in the wiltshire area and wants cheaper warhammer boxes, come to westbury!

as a side note, they've offered me 2 baneblades for 100 more than 10% off each!

Unfortunately, looking back to the things posted here, I realised I can now do much better :3

Here are my step by step tutorials for ease of use
Dreadnought close combat arms
Ig tanks
Ork PowerKlaw
messyart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2008, 14:11   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190
Default Re: your local independant shop.

The one in Omaha is pretty good, well the one I would prefer to frequent anyways. We don't have one here, though there is a Comic shop that we are allowed to play at. And we can order models via catalogs there. Its pretty good, the atmosphere is fun, but I dont like the fact that he allows smoking outside the front door(sends a bad message about the place to the rest of the community) and the little kids that come in can be annoying, plus the younger teen girls that like to sit there and talk are annoying as hell.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2008, 14:18   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

I don't even know if I have one up here... I suppose I should check that out.
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2008, 14:44   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

My local shop is OK for prices. I'm not seeing the discounts you are though. It's mainly a comic shop but there's a back room with Games Workshop stuff from all their games. They do have game nights but I haven't been able to go to one yet because of work :-[
Cirro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2008, 15:21   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, my independent stockist allows you to keep tabs if you are a member of the club. In addition, you get many discounts as a member of the club and also get top priority when it comes to new shipment.

In addition, if you contribute to the community, you will get even more special goodies and also rise through the ranks. Currently I am one of the Veteran class members, which allows me to have even more discounts and is entitled to teach newbies without any respite, which means even more rewards for member that do teach new members.

Drinks and snacks are also offered in my independent stockist, and the atmosphere is just random and weird, but nevertheless very homey. There is also a TV set in our store that the store owner used to see shows, and inevitably draw those that do not have a game to watch with him.

And for those who play RPG games, there is a room for RPG gamers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2008, 15:23   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i love my local shop, they carry very little warhammer stuff but offer 20% off special orders. they have leagues every season and they have tourneys pretty often. I <3 all fun and games!!!!!!

the other local shop just tries to get me to buy warhachine when i am there....how obnoxious is that!
darkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2008, 16:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

The local shop is a pretty tight knit group. Most people know each other pretty well and get together outside the shop to hang out at a bar or something. Regulars can count on a decent discount from the store owner. Sometimes old, OOP stuff actually gets given away to anyone lucky enough to be in the store at the time if he knows that it simply won't sell compared to the new fancy boxes.

The only trouble is that there is definately a win at all costs kinda of atmosphere. Alot of the guys down there will go to any lengths to win a game. So we see some pretty demented army lists an some of the most idiotic rules arguments in the history of our species (ie. the imfamous argument about the definition of "three")
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2008, 17:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I actually want to run my own shop on day, so this is quite helpful (kind of hidden...opinion gathering? I don't know.)

Now, the place I go to is small. And I always feel awkward going because I don't really fit in. I'm not exactly a "gamer" so I drop by occasionally to watch a battle and buy a codex. But they seem pretty close with each, many of the frequent members being workers there, or something. It's pretty cool. Once I'm done painting my army, I'll probably go there more often. If I haven't moved away before then. :P
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2008, 18:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kiznti

There are two gaming shops within travel distance for me. One is primarily a hobby shop, so it sells a lot of model cars and planes and stuff. Despite this, it has a big selection of 40k items, and offers 10% off on all purchases over $100, which is kinda nice if I want to buy a couple things at once (which doesn't happen often). It apparently has 40k games every other week or so, but I've never been to one.

The second shop is more devoted to gaming. It sells lots of board games, as well as older videogames and lots of tabletop RPGs and equipment for them. It has just started carrying 40k stuff recently, so the selection is still on the small side. It has a lot more gaming space than the hobby store, and the staff is friendly and there is always some kind of game going on, so you get a lot of curious onlookers when you play a battle.

Now, in the town where I used to live there was one shop, and it was terrible! It had a decent selection, but the guy who ran it seemed to run it exclusively for his friends. More often than not if you went in he'd be sitting, playing video games, and wouldn't offer any help until you were ready to purchase something. The store itself was tiny, so everything was packed together, and it was hard to get to anything you wanted to look at. I hear it's gone out of business now.

Read the Strange Gazzet. You know you want to!
Kiznti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2008, 22:00   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
(ie. the imfamous argument about the definition of "three")
My head still hurts about that one.

[hr]

I miss my Independant shop - it was one of those homey, comfy places (there was a sofa for crying out loud!). It was brilliant because me and my best friend knew the owner and we could sit for days drinknig tea and talking about the game and the models. What was better was that I felt important there - I could readily give advice to the new players for 40k about almost anything. Hell, I even helped out when he was bogged down in customers. I will never forget the battles my orks fought - fighting tooth and nail in mega battles, crushing the sponge (a guy with a really bad hair cut that paid too much attention to the maths of the game), and generally acting like a total gaming retard taking risks and gambits whenever the opportunity arised.

Sadly - the independant gaming network (or whatever) decided to close it down. It's now apparantly a McDonalds.

Great....
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote