Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to convince an independant store to host Warhammer 40k.
Old 15 Jan 2008, 00:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default How to convince an independant store to host Warhammer 40k.

Recently with my job change, I cant really get a game going at a whim, and it will be long periods before I can even get one.

So with the area I have been visiting lately they have a small game store that also happens to sell warhammer 40k (why they dont even host 500pt games is beyond me)

Now the first thing I imagined was game space...probably not a 2000pt table more like 750pts for effecieny, and the crowd that comes is often yu gi oh, magic etc... (thats also the space idea to think about)

Second thing...terrain

games can be played on solid white tables, as long as their is some type of terrain that can make it different compared to everything. Some work on my part to gather terrain? (some things are cheap, I found a laundry basket ripped in quarters literally, but make for nice ruins.)

Third thing...Do they know how to play 40k?

some stores sell because the product sells...something to consider? would it be easy to teach someone 40k, and be a money maker?

4th...even a once a month tourney could spark a competition group...create some crazy 750pt tournmanets or gather 2 tables together and try to fit 6-7 people.

any thoughts?
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2008, 04:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: How to convince an independant store to host Warhammer 40k.

My guess would be the only reason why they wouldnt host it would be because they hear the name "warhammer" and think violence. If their place is suppose to be "family oriented" place they don't want people playing violent games in there store.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 04:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Best bet, get support. Multiple people asking for a tourney pulls more weight than just one.

If this means getting more people into 40k, go nuts.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2008, 05:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

For terrain. Everyone can pitch in and build/buy something. keep it in a box(es) at the store or bring it with you. Terrain is not too big a concern as actually getting tables open and enough people to spark interest in gaming. If you could approach the store owner about running a combat patrol turni in the store (and if you volunteer to run it, not him). It could help spark the interest in creating a more permanent gaming atmosphere in the place.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2008, 07:09   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

A group petition of people that would be interested in coming to play would help, and offer to assist in orginisation: offer a model on how the tournaments and games would be run in the store.

Maybe some sort of interpretive dance is in order?
Dr Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2008, 11:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

ever make bunkers out of shoe boxes?

its fun.

Just make sure theres a flap to open and close (usually how you get your shoes)

cut a wide window rectangle on one of the sides and its usuallly quick.

cut a back door for other access.

That way, easy to put troops in

Painting its another story, but I just primered and painted a white heliport, or medic sign etc.

Going to have to do some recon for this,,,still trying to find work to....hehe
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2008, 13:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Were I live our group moved from one store to another store because most of us got fed up with the first stores owner. We moved to a store that did not even carry 40K. We aproached him by offering to supply everything we needed to play. We brought in the 4x6 Foam Boards and three tubs of terrain. Enough to cover 3 boards. We also told him that if he could order the product, then we would place our orders with him.

The store owner had no problem with this. We picked a night that worked best for both the store and the group. He is now carring a small selection of 40k and is tring to increase the amount of product in his store.

Another time I was living in a different state, new store moved into town. (Wife changed jobs so he moved his store with them) After a few months of being open he was not selling any 40K product. I talked him into giving me space to play. Just one board was all I needed. I found one other player in town and we started playing up at the store on a regular basis. We started to teach others how to play and within 3 months there was over 12 NEW players all buying product from him.

Talk to your store about the potention to increase sales and the ability to get new customers. Normally if you talk to a responsible business owner about their bottom line they will listen.
JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote