Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Tau Time Tutorial
Old 11 Jan 2008, 06:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to fat_tree
Default The Tau Time Tutorial

Basically I have decided to right up a tutorial or guide so people can understand the basic Tau time keeping.

Quote:
Tau Timekeeping
The Tau'cyr is an annual cycle on Tau. A Tau'cyr is broken down into 6 kai'rotaa is dedicated to a caste with the additional one dedicated to the race as a whole. A rotaa is is broken down into 10 decs; decs are either light-time or dark-time. most tau need only 1-2 decs of sleep per rotta

Conversion
The Tau'cyr or Tau year last approximately 300 terran days (297.74 to be precise). A kai'rotaa is therefore about 50 terran hours and a dec is 1.5 terran hours
quote taken from tau codex page 21

So therefore a Tau year is one of our years, a kai'rotaa is one of our months a rotaa is one of our days and the decs are our hours.

Breakdown

One tau year has 6 kai'rotaa each with 80 rotaa.
So in a 21st millennium humans eyes; a tau year is 6 earth months each of which with 80 earth days.

The rotaa
A rotaa is a tau day, which consists of 10 decs, 5 of which are light (day) and the other 5 are dark (night)

Human perspective.
The 10 decs are equal to 10 earth hours, 5 are day and 5 are night.

A fire warrior only needs 1-2 earth hours of sleep were us humans need at least 8.

I hope this puts things in perceptive.

Cheers.
fat_tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2008, 09:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: The Tau Time Tutorial

yes, but the fire warrior needs 1-2 hours sleep PER rotaa. Meaning theyu have to sleep more often. But still they sleep a lot less than humans do. In fact, about 4 hours less a day... Human one that is...
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2008, 11:02   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

+1 for the attempt, but you might want to flesh out the conversions a little further. I did the conversion a while back trying to see if the average Tau spends as much time awake over their lifespan as a human does. This was when we had a reliable age range for the Tau, but I think they ended up being similar. Unassisted, a Tau will not live for quite as long as a human. but he will spend a larger percentage of his life awake, and the magnitude of the time he spends awake will be about the same as that of a human.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2008, 11:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to fat_tree

Thats for the reconision guys, if you would like me to put anything else in there that you think should be, go ahead and tell me
fat_tree is offline   Reply With Quote