Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What are the most common build types for GTs?
Old 07 Jan 2008, 20:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default What are the most common build types for GTs?

The question is in the title, what are the most common builds (e.g. Nidzilla) and tactics (e.g. drop podding marines). I'm considering entering a GT this year so need to know what I'll be up against.

And one request please. No complaining about how broken some tournament builds are, after all tournaments are meant to be competitive. I just need to make sure I can fight fire with a nice fluffy army (and a bigger fire).

Chris
Kalarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 23:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Evil_Toast
Default Re: What are the most common build types for GTs?

Interestingly enough this is my plan too . Hopefully this year I wont be unemployed when the tickets go on sale . >

Now to answer your question as best I can . Have 2 mates who went to the GT heats last year , both qualified ( 4th Heat 1 , 7th Heat 3 ) so most of my post will revolve around my after event questions directed at the Heat 3 chap a few months back . This does mean I may not be 100% accurate , but still got most of the stuff floating around in my memory black hole . I still want to try and quiz them further , but will have to wait till I drag my sorry ass into the club again .

Here is a breakdown of armies who attended Heats 2&3 . Heat 1 was not included , if you read the thread you will see it revolves around the Chaos 'dex change .

Armies :
Marines - Mixed . The highest placed SMurf army was Ravenwing . Dan took all bikes (7th) , with some Drop Pod plasma and regular stand and shoot ones too .

Chaos - 2 Lash with Nurgle was the main Chaos choice .

IG - Not sure , but Drop Troop plasma type lists I *think* were the ones mentioned .

Eldar - 3 Holo-Tank with Clowns . Only 6 players who qualified had less than 3 , with only 1 having a single Falcon . Incidental he took top spot with a Troops Wraithguard squad .

'Nids - Nidzilla . Horde 'nids list are not popular for some strange reason .

Necrons - Multiple Monoliths with VoD lords and the usual Necron suspects ( Destroyers/Immortals)

DE - Wytches . Again not sure , never asked for too many details here .

Tau - Mix . Mech and Hybrid 9 Broadside lists .

The rest , not sure . Either their participation is so low as for me not to care , or it just slipped my mind . Hope this helps somewhat .

I feel I must stress again this is a general post , I'm sure there was an original Chaos player who had only 1 HQ etc .

[Insert witty comment's here ....]

Eldrad built my tank
It's a love affair
Mainly Eldrad and my Falcon ( Nargileh 40KO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
We should all make a Spongebob fan-group, and call it the Krusty Krab Klan! Join the KKK kids, it's great fun!

Oh, wait...
Evil_Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2008, 05:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

3 falcons with harlequins sounds like a viable way to go for eldar. http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=58931.0 - thats is a link for a supposedly unstoppable (137 wins) concept for dark eldar. Depending on what you will field, you could try to emulate its concept to whatever army that may have equating points values pr model, with dedicated transports.
Old 08 Jan 2008, 07:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Hmm, well I've been to a couple of Gt's, though I haven't been for last two years..but anyway..
Most of the lists varied from army to army, but some similarities were things like 3 Tau hammerheads, chaplain with jump pack and assault squad, lots of land speeders, vypers etc.
Basically evertything thats good put into one list, it's just balancing the amount of the good units you have to work on, it's best to have about half and half of shooty and close combat and as many scoring units as possible,
You'll want a squad or two with infiltrate and transports are generally a no as some games are escalation which means anything but infantry starts in reserve, and if this happens, go second, his stuff will come on first and then yours can come on and shoot it :P
Only about half of the entrants are good players, so if your lucky you'll get some average players at beginning, though I've known people who have done real bad on first day, then won all day on sunday and still qualified :P

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2008, 15:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I have limited experience with GT's, but in my view, here is the current best lists.

A Tier:
Mech Eldar (Falcons delivering Harlequins)
Nidzilla (Monstrous creatures, psychic choir, genestealers)
Offensive Necrons (Immortals, Destroyers)
Twin Lash Chaos (2 lashes, obliterators + other, this list is still emerging)
Tau (warfish, crisis suits, few railguns, key theme is denying enemy units effective fire)
New Orks (2 warbosses on bikes, big units, stormboyz....this is preliminary, but I'm confident in this guess)

B Tier:
Drop Pod Marines (plasma, Fear the Darkness, dread or two)
Shooty Guard (firebase w/lascannons, bassies, + dropping plasma death squads)
Defensive Crons (Monoliths, orbs, that jazz)
Dark Eldar Air Force (Raiders, warrior squads, 3 wyches, HQ's....dark lances everywhere)
Lysander Wing (terminators w/assault cannons, led by Lysander, all drop and blast)

After this comes the balanced armies and the downright weak lists, in great profusion.

The only real pointer I have is that at a GT the soft scores competition is just about as fierce as the gaming...sometimes fiercer.
Old 08 Jan 2008, 17:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

In stead of that ork bid, I could imagine ork lists fielding 2 bikmeks with shokk attack guns and then insane amounts of scoring ork units as well, with as many power claws and big shootas as possible...
Old 10 Jan 2008, 11:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hmmmm the new orks concern me a little bit, I'll need to think of some ways to beat them. Thanks for all the posts so far, they've been very useful. If you'd like to comment on my list its on the eldar board as 1500pts winter war.

I assume i'll definately need good psychic defense?
Old 10 Jan 2008, 16:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I saw that DE list... It is pure madness. More so, it doesn't seem unfluffy - it has all 6 troops slots filled. How could you field 14 fast skimmers in a 1700pt army??? There is something wrong with their point cost. And I thought Craftworld Eldar are powerful.
Max Smirnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2008, 17:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Evil_Toast

Yes , Runes of Warding are definitely a "required" piece of kit in GT's .

Orks are going to be way more popular now as well , but will have to play a few games against them to see what could possibly be the most common build/s for them in a GT scenario .

And I do love it when people post their " I PWNZOR U @ll !!!111!!!!1!!!!!1 " list's on forum's . I mean , come on , just by looking at all the W/L/D Sig's and posts I came to the following conclusion . Forum players never lose ! Adding the W/L/D up from here ( 143747667352454258233954256625765/0/3), the following cemented that theory into fact ! [/sarcasm]

My advice is to build a list now , play as many games as you can with it against as many different opponents as you can ( go to as many tourneys here as well , good practice ). Read the other races Codices , look for weaknesses , understand their special rules ( if I have to explain to 1 more person that a Monolith cannot gain SMF , I'm going to kill myself > ) , if a FAQ is eventually released for anything , make sure you read it and think about how it may/will affect you , make sure you fully grasp the main rules ( this is where a few power list's fail ) and most importantly think outside the box !

[Insert witty comment's here ....]

Eldrad built my tank
It's a love affair
Mainly Eldrad and my Falcon ( Nargileh 40KO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
We should all make a Spongebob fan-group, and call it the Krusty Krab Klan! Join the KKK kids, it's great fun!

Oh, wait...
Evil_Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2008, 17:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thinking outside the box isn't a problem, its staying inside it thats hard.

But thanks for the advice. I've got nearly every codex but shall invest in the 'nids now.

Though the new orks look fun. If anyone is in cardiff and wants to start gorkamorka, pm me.