Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dice Gods have shunned me :(
Old 06 Jan 2008, 23:54   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Dice Gods have shunned me :(

Ok, so I just played a game the other night at my friend's house. He plays Necrons and I play Thousand Sons, and we have been known to have some pretty good games (my friends are jealous of my rolls....most of the time). However, this said game has destroyed my pride for being known to roll well. I rolled ones for everything that I needed high rolls in (Setup, deployment, table edge) before the game even started.

The game begins and I chug along, both my foot slogging marines and my 1st squad of oblits rolled ones for slow and purposeful. However, I mounted two other squads of marines into Rhinos, phew, and chugged them along 12".

On the beginning of turn two my necrons buddy deepstrikes his pariahs and his 'lith right behind my guys... takes out my Rhino, and I roll 4+ for each of the guys trying to get out of the flaming wreck. I then fail my armour saves for 6 out of the 9 guys I had in my squad. (Ouch)

I then set my die down to mark where I deepstrike my 3 man oblit squad (it seemed like a very good spot), scatter (I was like,"Whatever, that lith is toast!"), but then roll a 12!!!

My oblits fall off the table edge barely (I mean barely... 4mm barely) and things are looking very dim for my game... sometime during the slaughterfest, I mustered up my forces to wipe out a squad of warriors, about 16 rapid fire thousand sons rounds and a couple of doombolts... failed ALL of my to hits... 3+... how do I fail that?

I have had two games IN A ROW that have ended up in my doom... bad rolls...

So, do the dice gods hate me? Have they forsaken the only person that honestly believes in them? Have my rituals (chanting blood for the dice gods before a game) angered them? Have my desires in lust and gluttony driven them away from me? OR did my friend just nuked my dice in a microwave when I went to McDonald's before the game started?
lami13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 00:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Dice Gods have shunned me :(

I think it goes without saying that dice are, um, random. You're merely allowing your brain to play a psychological trick on you. Naturally, our brains notice exceptions rather than patterns and, as such, sometimes we trick ourselves into believing that the exception is the pattern because it's the part we remember.

If it really bothers you, sit down for about 15 minutes with your dice and roll them all. Separate them by number. Then roll all of the numbers again (i.e. all "1's" together, all "2's" together, etc). Notice the patterns. How many dice rolled 1 2x? Now, do it again. How many dice rolled 1's 3x. Understand that no matter how many times you roll 1 - every dice has a 1/6 chance of rolling a 1 on the next roll.

That means that the chances of you rolling 1 is 1/6. The chances of you doing it twice in a row are 1/36. The chances of you doing it three times in a row are 1/216. However, the chances of you rolling a 1 on that 4th roll is still just 1/6.

Anyway, hope this helps to calm your superstition.
Cheers,
Em
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 00:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

If the Dice Gods did forsake you, it was probably because you went to McDonald's in the first place.

Also - how does he Deep Strike his Pariahs????
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 13:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Your friend believes in better gods than you - the Gods of Cheating. While you were occupied lamenting that luck has forsaken you, he deepstruck his Pariahs

You can believe or not, the dice are random. If they do favor anybody, it's the victor
Max Smirnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 14:08   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Pish, I want to know the odds of losing the first turn dice off constantly for 8 months, and what the odds of a Rail head rolling 1's to hit for 6 turns of every game over 8 months.

Then we can talk about bad luck. My opponents stopped bothering to shoot my Railhead as it never achieved anything.

Then I switched to broadsides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 14:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Ha, you should all have a dice god idol like mine.. you'll get to see it in the poorhammer competition

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 16:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

You must sacrifice some of your dice to the dice god. Or, smash some of them violently in front of your other dice- they shall be scared into rolling better.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 17:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Yummifoamycoffee

The only solution I can think of is getting down on your knees and beg for mercy!!

And how did he deepstrike his Pariahs??

Yummifoamycoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 17:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
You must sacrifice some of your dice to the dice god. Or, smash some of them violently in front of your other dice- they shall be scared into rolling better.
That's the best tactic I've ever heard :P

Or you could get some square shaped sweets.. and eat them.. that'd scare them.. and your opponent.

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 18:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to GueVesaUnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
Ooh, Commissar tactics, huh?

It might be a jinx. Like someone standing next to you. A guy at my local store is actually feared because people start rolling horribly when he gets near. Then he leaves, and it's all back to normal.

Could also be that forsaken Big Mac you were digesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineluki
If we were all normal, we wouldn't be talking on this forum every single bloody day, instead of breathing in some fresh air once in a while. Anyone remember what the sun looks like? I think it was a sphere...
[quote=Ineluki]
Weirdo? Please, you're as normal as I am. ...wait, what?
GueVesaUnit is offline   Reply With Quote