Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shooting rule
Old 05 Jan 2008, 01:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Shooting rule

Hello all, yesterday i was playing againt my mates tau army, and he mesured his braudside to try and shoot his rail gun at one of my units, he fell short of the range needed, it is true that if you fail to meet the range needed..you cant shoot the weapon at any other untis, unless you have taget lock( Or Tau equvilent.)
Regards C

^about bloody time =P
Death_By_chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2008, 02:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Shooting rule

Target Lock or not, a model cannot fire at another unit if it turns out to be outside of firing range to the originally intended target.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2008, 02:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

To answer your first question, he cannot shoot. Count it as him firing and the round falling short. And the Tau don't have a piece of wargear that allows you to premeasure, your thinking of an Imperial Guard targeter. The Tau Target Lock allows a vehicle, or model in a unit to fire at two different targets, or a target that the rest of its unit isn't shooting at .

-RS

[center] ~Children of the Storm Fluff~[center]
[center] ~Children of the Storm [1750 pts]~[center]
ShadowCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2008, 02:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yeah, the imperial one is called taget finder i think, and only stormies have it, ok thanks guys, i just wanted to make sure i wasnt doing anything wrong by telling him he couldnt shoot any anything els.....
Regards C

^about bloody time =P
Old 05 Jan 2008, 15:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_By_chance
Hello all, yesterday i was playing againt my mates tau army, and he mesured his braudside to try and shoot his rail gun at one of my units, he fell short of the range needed, it is true that if you fail to meet the range needed..you cant shoot the weapon at any other untis, unless you have taget lock( Or Tau equvilent.)
Regards C
As everyone said, the shooting rule are quite clear in the BGB. You choose your target, mesure the distance and if within range roll to see if you hit. If it's not in range then you are out of luck and you cannot shoot at any one with this unit for the remainded of this shooting phase.

Now my only question here is: " How can he not be in range for his Railgun?"
* These thing have a range of 72" (or 6&#39 and the regular table sixe is 4'x 6' so everything on the table should be in range for the railgun. Granted a unit could be behind cover in which case he cannot be shot at (obviously, in this case it would be a waste to target him, since you will automaticallyfail your attack.)
* Now, if he tries to fire with the secondary weapon (Smart missile system or plasma rifle) then yes I can see him coming short, since the range is shorter.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2008, 17:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Corner to corner, Boneguard. That's 86". Admittedly that is the corners themselves, but that gives him 14" to be out of range in.

Plus there's no reason he couldn't have been playing a mega battle or Apocalypse, where 4' x 8' or even larger is the norm.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2008, 04:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

My mistake, smart missile system*

^about bloody time =P