Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is it me or is the Imperium....
Old 02 Jan 2008, 14:11   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Is it me or is the Imperium....

More evil than Chaos because it seems that all the Imperium do is meet new race of people kill that new race over and over again.
While Chaos just wants to kill the Imperium.
So is it me or are the Imperium more evil than Chaos.
Agreed; the Dark Kin get Dark Matter cannons, whereas those limp-wristed Craftworlders presumably power their Bright Lance, and all their weapons, through homosexual lusting. How else do you explain the Vibrocannon looking (and functioning) like some giant space-dildo? >
i dunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2008, 14:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Is it me or is the Imperium....

The Imperium is known for engaging in Xenocide and has free speech rights that make Stalin-era Soviet Russia look like a libertarian hippyland, but you must consider their motivations.

More often than not, when an alien culture is encountered they're either outrightly warlike, hellbent on abducting Humans for slavery and torture, evolved to suck your brains from your skull, or parasitic freaks who slowly work to subjugate an entire populace.

And when someone goes renouncing the Emperor or chatting about freedom of this and that, nine times out of ten they're destined to have/already have their souls consumed by the Dark Gods of Chaos, with a wave of mutation, rebellion, and daemonic infestation shortly following.

Forces of Chaos enslave or butcher entire planetary populations for nothing but the desire to fulfill their twisted pleasures or empower their gods, and wage war against Xenos whenever the opportunity should present itself.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2008, 14:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

hmm that's a bit hasty...

not everyone in the Imperium is hellbent on being the sole race in the universe and not everyone in the Chaos legions is setting out to just destroy the Imperium.

Also take into account the fact that Marines will fight to protect civilians, while Chaos will fight to kill said civilians :P

It's safer to say:
"Some parts of the Imperium can be more evil than even Chaos"

Though I have yet to read any fluff on Chaos doing noble deeds or NOT killing something for a change XP
Old 02 Jan 2008, 14:36   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno
More evil than Chaos because it seems that all the Imperium do is meet new race of people kill that new race over and over again.
While Chaos just wants to kill the Imperium.
So is it me or are the Imperium more evil than Chaos.
Maybe they are, but look at the galaxy they live in. They are surrounded by alien races that do want to see them destroyed, or subjugated, or fed on. They have to fight for their very souls, and steel themselves against chaos, which is like the ultimate in evil.

When every alien race you meet wants to kill/enslave/eat you, it doesn't make you very friendly towards them.

When every free-thinker, or free-speaker is a chaos heretic out to destroy the souls of billions, it doesn't make you very tolerant of freedom of speech.

It wasn't always this way - the Emporer and Eldrad of Ulthwe were on very good terms, until the Big E refused to believe his own son was a traitor (as if... oh, wait, the Eldar were right :) and they used to be much more tolerant of aliens, happily coexisting.

It was only after a galaxy wide betrayal, fighting for survival against evil gods that they went this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2008, 14:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

The imperium are just the imperial from star wars, 'Aliens! we don't want no aliens living in OUR galaxy'

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2008, 15:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
The imperium are just the imperial from star wars, 'Aliens! we don't want no aliens living in OUR galaxy'
I assume you've never heard of Grand Admiral Thrawn? :
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2008, 15:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Of course I've heard of him lol, he's an exception, Because he's awesome

( and also if he joined the rebels then the imperial would surely lose as he's like the best admiral ever (yes even ackbar))

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2008, 15:38   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Wasn't he only tolerated because of his tactical genius, however?

Whilst I'm sure others were excepted, the SW Imperials didn't exactly go around sharing the love. Look at the Wookies - slave labour on the DS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2008, 16:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ok lets start with saying -> There are NO evil races in 40k. Neither there any good onces. All have their philosophy of life and All think that their Philosophy is the best and everyone should listen to them.

However you can look on how they treat their own. We all know how they treat Xenoes (that goes to every race "How should we treat the once that don't look like us? -> eat/kill/etc..."). But how do they treat their own?

Imperium kills their own almost as efficient as chaos does. Conditions of Hive cities, Drafts, Constant Inquisition/Witch hunt, etc... Even orks don't do that, sure they have fights over money/wealth but who doesn't? ^_^

But does it makes Imperium evil? No as its already neutral just like everyone else. All races are dark and ruthless so IMO I wouldn't worry about who is darker.

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2008, 19:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

From a different perspective: Imperium is "vast and infinite", and it's difficult to summarise it in one word. Yes, the central government ( High Lords of Terra, Inquisition, Ecclesiarchy) is the worst possible combination of fascism, communism, and theocracy, but many worlds only loosely stick to this ideology. Also many people living in the Imperium are quite decent, even those on elevated positions; they just do what they believe is best, and often can make the world a better place. Of course, such individuals are minority.
Similar thing can be said about Chaos. What we know about the Eye of Terror is almost exclusively Imperial knowledge, which perceives Chaos as mad, bloodthirsty invaders, servants to the gods of destruction and despair. While it is true to some extent (especially about most Chaos Space Marines), the domain of Chaos can by no means be limited to this image. Inside the Ocularis Terribus there is a whole small universe, filled with untold wonders and exotic civilisations which are quite prospering. Those civilisations are often strange, sometimes a bit mad, but at the same time so diverse and numerous that I believe anyone could find a paradise to suit their tastes if they seek long enough. It is therefore difficult to summarise Chaos as one big evil bunch of monsters, as the Imperials would like to.
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Oh God, not that deamnohunters! :P
Who else would fight Choas with Palasma weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
My Shas'O, I picture as an old grizzled war vet. However, he has a bit of a gung-ho streak. Think Sun Tzu meets Yeosemite Sam
Solarius Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote