Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Things you can do outta a Rhino
Old 25 Dec 2007, 14:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to F3AR
Default Things you can do outta a Rhino

I know in open topped vehicles people inside can shoot, etc. But when a Rhino can have one guy shoot out of the roof (I'm not sure what the upgrade is!) can it be a psychic? Just wondering since I'm thinking of starting a Chaos army.
Deathwing: 9-5-3
F3AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Dec 2007, 15:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Things you can do outta a Rhino

Rhinos, as standard, can have two models fire out the top hatch during the shooting phase. They count as having moved. Psychic powers that function as shooting attacks may be made in this manner, as well.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Dec 2007, 15:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3AR
But when a Rhino can have one guy shoot out of the roof (I'm not sure what the upgrade is!)
That isn't really an upgrade, just a way of modelling the Storm Bolter Upgrade. IIRC, a Rhino just has two fire points, which function as specified in the rulebook. It's different to what you're suggesting here, e.g. open topped or the whole squad is able to shoot out of it etc. Also, you have it wrong there, open topped means that the passengers can assault after disembarking, but not necessarily shoot out of it. It's the number of fire points that relate to how many passengers can shoot out of the vehicle.

Edit: Oops, I'm wrong there, see post below
Old 25 Dec 2007, 23:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to F3AR

Ok. Im not too familiar to Space Marines/Chaos.
I just have a 1500 point army of Dark Angel Termies. (Whose ego and armor will non't fit in puny Rhinos! ;D )
Thanks!
Deathwing: 9-5-3
F3AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2007, 00:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

Just because I just want you to confirm this - Youre not familiar with marines, but you just happen to have 1500( as in "fifteenhundred" ) points worth of terminators... ?

As in, is this correct? May I enquire to your priority strategy when you began playing warhammer?

F3AR: Ima get some marines now...
GW: ok, 2 squads of tactical...
F3AR: naw, just termies... 1500 points worth of termies, who needs tactical marines anyways?
GW: the rules say that... -
F3AR: ... that the most important thing is to have fun, above everything else. Gimme 1500 points woth of termies, and trash the tactical marines. Real men wear terminator armor.

Just kiddin', anyways, what was your intentions with that chaos army? You intend on making a termy heavy chaos warband with psykers in your rhinos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .mace
That isn't really an upgrade, just a way of modelling the Storm Bolter Upgrade. IIRC, a Rhino just has two fire points, which function as specified in the rulebook. It's different to what you're suggesting here, e.g. open topped or the whole squad is able to shoot out of it etc. Also, you have it wrong there, open topped means that the passengers can assault after disembarking, but not necessarily shoot out of it. It's the number of fire points that relate to how many passengers can shoot out of the vehicle.
note
If a vehicle is open topped, you can shoot out of it...
Old 27 Dec 2007, 12:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esque
note
No, no, you can't! Don't argue with .mace if you don't know. You can only shoot out of vehicles which have fire points. Gorgon, for instance, is open-topped but has no fire points.
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Oh God, not that deamnohunters! :P
Who else would fight Choas with Palasma weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
My Shas'O, I picture as an old grizzled war vet. However, he has a bit of a gung-ho streak. Think Sun Tzu meets Yeosemite Sam
Solarius Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2007, 13:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarius Scorch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esque
note
No, no, you can't! Don't argue with .mace if you don't know. You can only shoot out of vehicles which have fire points. Gorgon, for instance, is open-topped but has no fire points.
But that doesn't mean I'm always right. The thing is Tau don't have any open-topped vehicles or vehicles with firepoints so I'm hazy on the rule.

In this case, I'm wrong there actually; the ruling is that for open-topped vehicles, all passengers can shoot out of it, whereas for closed vehicles, only a certain number of passengers can shoot out of fire points. I have my rulebook right infront of me now, the rule is on page 64 under Fire Points and Infantry Firing from Vehicles.

I didn't have the rulebook with me earlier, though I wouldn't really expect anyone to know it off the top of their head word for word...
Old 27 Dec 2007, 14:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yep, open topped lets you shoot out and disembark on any side. You also get to assault on the turn you disembark, take +1 to rolls on the damage result table, and take 2 rolls on said table from template weapons.

Closed top means you only get one shooter per fire point, and disembark only from hatches. You can't go on to assault after disembarking if the vehicle moved, and the damage result rolls are as standard.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 16:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

That's how it USUALLY is. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I meant, being open-topped doesn't automatically give you the option to fire from passengers. Again, I mention the casus of Gorgon, because as a Chaos player I don't really use open-topped vehicles at all and I don't know many examples of them.
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Oh God, not that deamnohunters! :P
Who else would fight Choas with Palasma weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
My Shas'O, I picture as an old grizzled war vet. However, he has a bit of a gung-ho streak. Think Sun Tzu meets Yeosemite Sam
Solarius Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2007, 19:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarius Scorch
That's how it USUALLY is. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I meant, being open-topped doesn't automatically give you the option to fire from passengers. Again, I mention the casus of Gorgon, because as a Chaos player I don't really use open-topped vehicles at all and I don't know many examples of them.
The Gorgon is a Superheavy with Forge World rules - that's a special case, not a reason to muddy up the understanding of the rules.

If a vehicle is Open Topped, all passengers can fire out of it with normal restrictions due to movement. Barring rare special cases - like the Gorgon - that's the end of it.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote