Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Warhammer 40k architecture....
Old 23 Dec 2007, 10:39   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Eddy4Tau
Default Warhammer 40k architecture....

I was just wondering what the cities of the different races would look like. In my opinion imperial cities would be dark and gloomy where as Tau and Eldar cities would consist of smooth towering sky scrapers. Your views....
Eddy4Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2007, 10:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox
Default Re: Warhammer 40k arciatecture....

Yup thats right, imperial was all Gothic, whereas tau are all gleaming and eldar are tall and thin

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2007, 17:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Note that there are not Eldar "cities" per se.

most Eldar live on Craftworlds, so, basically, spaceships. The only Eldar "city" I`m aware of is Cormorragh, and I doubt that this particular city is representative of how an Eldar city would look like...
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2007, 18:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

There is no standard architechture for the Imperium. The building styles would all depend on the culture of the planet. For every "dark and gloomy" Imperial city, there could be three bright and lively ones.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2007, 18:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legio Mortis
There is no standard architechture for the Imperium. The building styles would all depend on the culture of the planet. For every "dark and gloomy" Imperial city, there could be three bright and lively ones.
Exactly. While the stereotype may be the Armageddon-style hive cities, there are many rural planets with colonial-style villages, or huts on a deathworld, etc.

Tau architecture can be seen in the RTS game Dawn of War: Dark Crusade. The buildings seem advanced, but are rounded, with towers topped with oval-like structures.

Eldar buildings can be seen throughout the Dawn of War series, but only military webway portals, rather than craftworlds. The Eldar Codex has a couple examples of the inside of Eldar craftworlds, which have an organic feel to them.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2007, 20:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Commissar_Will

Yeah...like Droids said, Eldar craftworlds look pretty organic, what with all the wraithbone and everything - it's a bit like living inside somebody's bone marrow, but with Warp capabilities. :P I do remember, however, that on the box picture for an Eldar tank, either the Falcon or the Wave Serpent I think, there's a model of an Eldar tower in the background. It's basically just a tall, thin tower with a bulging rounded top, so that's probably what an advanced Eldar settlement or base of operations would look like, if there were one. Dark Eldar towers are similar, but spikier and less rounded.

My Space Marine project log
Commissar_Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2007, 20:03   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

I wouldn't think Dark Eldar architecture would be very divergent from Eldar. It just has more spiky bits, like Commisar Will stated.
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2007, 21:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well I've got Tau architecture in my mind as rather errm....Mushroom shaped.

I don't see it as thin or fragile, but rather alot more 'plate like' and having the semblance of curves;

I'm not too happy with the scale of the building on the far right, but extrapolate these ideas to a city of Tau and you get the mental images in my mind. The little blue lines are meant to represent Tau.

I think there should be more aerials as well sticking up out of the buildings. As I don't imagine Tau buildings to be that 'smooth'.

It makes alot of sense to use domes for roofs, but walls should be flat surffaces generally to maximise useable floor space.

Anyhow,
Genmotty

Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2007, 10:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Warhammer 40k architecture....

The 'typical' (Medusa V) architecture is very influenced by Gothic buildings, with elements on Victorian industry in there.
Eldar architecture is based upon wraithbone, which can support large structures, so they have many domes and arches.
The Tau build up wards in stead of outwards, many of their building simply look like huge spiral staircases.

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote