Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Army Builder
Old 17 Dec 2007, 13:50   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Army Builder

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to ask who uses Army Builder and what they like about it, and who doesn't use it and why? ("I just hate it" isn't really the kind of information I'm looking for). Personally, I've been using it almost as long as I've been playing, and I really enjoy being able to make an army list or 5 really quickly so I have an idea of what kinds of things I can do with my models, and I can have a few lists set aside for when my friends call up and say "Hey, I'm going to be in town, wanna get together and play?"

:ISCLAIMER:: I am not in any way related to Lone Wolf (the makers of Army Builder) I am just one of the team that writes the 40k files for the application. We're always looking for feedback on our work, and most of the people that post on our site are ones who already use the application heavily and like it. I'm looking to get some ideas of what people don't like about the way we do things so that we can try to make our implementation easy to use, and most importantly, helpful to 40k players.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 19:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Army Builder

I have been dabbling with the trial version of Army Builder. I've got the two GW army builders and I still prefer them. GW's products are, of course, tailored for 40k and so can indulge in GW imagery and replicating the FOC within the program.

I'm coming around to Army Builder though simply because the data files supporting AOTI and EOTI are not updated as frequently. I can't, for example, make a new Chaos army using EOTI. So unless there's a change at GW, they have surrendered the field to AB (it's been a year since the last update).

Arschbombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2007, 05:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

If it was free i'd use it... but for now i'll stick with my spread sheet templates and word layouts.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 05:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

Ditto

I plan to stick with my excel-army builder for now. I', no excel magician, so I only use if-sentences and the like, but it works good. If it was free, in some way or another, I'd use it.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 06:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've never heard of it. ^^;;

I write my army lists in poorly organized text files or, in a pinch, on lined pieces of paper, usually about 10 minutes before a match is set to begin. I wouldn't mind giving it a try, though. Maybe I'll search it up.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 12:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

[quote name='JD']
If it was free i'd use it... but for now i'll stick with my spread sheet templates and word layouts.
[/quote]

my thoughts exactly.

i went looking for an army builder a while ago, as i have the writing capacity of a 3 month old child.

i dont really think it's worth spending money on.

it took me 3 days to make myself a speadsheet that lets me build a daemonhunters army and calculates the points for me (i was sad enough to know them so i thought i'd include them :P).

my next projects are marines and witch hunters.

let me know what army you play and i will see if i can put somthing together
Old 18 Dec 2007, 14:40   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i use the trial version of AB because im cheap and dont feel like shelling out the money. never thought of building my own
darkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2007, 19:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You make your list 3 units at a time with the AB program? Hadn't really thought of that.
Arschbombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2007, 22:23   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

works pretty well for me
darkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2007, 22:37   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I own it. My Subscription is over, but I still get the updates manually. Aside from some technical errors (really minor ones, such as selecting a storm bolter before you choose termie armour invalidates the storm bolter you already selected) I really like it. It's fast, and I can keep the list handy to modify it.

Well, I guess my only complaint is that I have not spent enough time to learn how to make my own files for personal use.

Additionally, the FLGS I go to has it, and makes it available to anyone, and for a small fee you can print your list right there.

I guess I'm not really helping. But it works well enough for me and saves a lot of time.
Brynjolfr is offline   Reply With Quote