Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

When do games stop being fun for you?
Closed Thread
Old 13 Dec 2007, 15:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default When do games stop being fun for you?

Just a little question since today my brother walked out on a game with me since I was... well... in a little bad mood >>;

basically I was rolling poorly and had lost most of my army by turn 2 while he had only lost 1 Talos and 1 Warrior squad and felt the need to rub it in that he wasn't even using 700 points of his army in a 1500 pt game.

And when I got a little pissed and tossed a bike off the table after it failed another Ld test (2 failed Ld tests in 1 turn at ld 10 -.-) he called me immature and quit the game.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 15:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: When do games stop being fun for you?

Sounds like he was right. Come on man, tossing your miniatures? Never fun to play with someone who won't let themselves have fun.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 15:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

In this case, I think you were rather immature to toss your models around with some bad rolls. Warhammer is just a game, and some of the best friendly games I've played have contained plethoras of bad rolls. One game I played with three other people (2 on 2) just became hilarious for both sides because, quite literally, my side couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.
"These 10 Fire Warriors shoot at you!"
"Three, three, three, two, one, two, three, one, four, five?"
"Roll to wound!"
"One, one?"

That was the game where we invented the epic, twin-linked armour save.

"Wow, Geoff, I can't believe your Crisis just died to five bolter shots."
"It's Twin Linked!" *re-rolls armour save.*
"No it's not!"

In another game, my friend fired his SM Missile Launcher 3 turns in a row at my Devilfish, rolling a 1 each turn while the Warfish (which had nobody in it at the time) slowly wore down the marines with its SMS and burst cannon. On the third turn, he asked to re-roll the launcher. I was winning anyway, so I agreed on the condition he got only one re-roll. He rolled his fourth one in a row. We looked at each other slowly, then started laughing.

Good times... Sometimes it's better to laugh off situations that would otherwise be frustrating. Having said that, it can be hard to do if your opponent is particularly competitive.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 15:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

it was 1 model. and come on, wouldn't you find it frustrating to have your opponent only use just over half of his list against you and STILL beat you without breaking a sweat? :\

I was already kind enough to not field Tau against him since he didn't want to play against them and he's aware that I'm still very new to Space Marines. You'd think that for the sake of fun he'd not play a list that's difficult to face even when I do play Tau.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 16:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90

I still wouldnt of flipped out like that. YOu need to calm down a little bit.

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Old 13 Dec 2007, 17:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

you're making it sound like I threw the model across the room :\

and isn't it just as immature to field a competitive army against a novice army and then rub in how badly you're winning? come on, I've seen guys get punched in the face for less.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 17:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think maybe you're taking the game to seriously. Ya, maybe he was insulting you with the fact that he wasn't really trying, but you do know its only a game. Maybe both of you didn't handle it very well.

Also, if you're only starting out with spacemarines do you think its fair that he'd take it easy on you? I say that the only way you can get better at something is by playing against someone thats better than you. I'm not saying that he's better, but he obviously knows how to handle his dark eldar and you don't know how to use your space marines. Just use this time to build your skill. And really, just have fun, don't get fed up.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 17:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

there is still a difference between playing against a better opponent and getting wiped like this.

and in all honesty, I WAS trying to have a fun game, but comments like "how can you expect this army to win?" and "Oh, I'm not even using 700 points of my army" tend to suck the fun out of games for me.

I don't usually throw my models and when things go pretty bad I usually am able to remain calm, but a slaughter like this seemed to only be fun for 1 of the 2 players, as my brother seemed unusually proud of himself today.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 17:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Perhaps you shouldn't have let it get as far as it did, then.

A simple "You're acting immaturely" and a hesitation to play against him in the future would have done long before you got to the point where he could use the same line against you...

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Old 13 Dec 2007, 17:40   #10 (permalink)
Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyven
there is still a difference between playing against a better opponent and getting wiped like this.

and in all honesty, I WAS trying to have a fun game, but comments like "how can you expect this army to win?" and "Oh, I'm not even using 700 points of my army" tend to suck the fun out of games for me.
Yes, but acting aggressively makes you just as bad as him, and makes you look more of a fool than your opponent. He was taunting you, many people do that, taunt him back, don't start losing your cool over playful and silly comments. I've had people call my army "gay" or "useless" but do I get upset? No, I respond with a clever retort.

In all honesty I don't blame him for packing up and leaving, aggressive behaviour is unacceptable by my standards, and you did yourself no favours by taking his comments seriously and not as a joke. It is your fault and you should accept that, move on, and learn from your mistakes.

Closed Thread