Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Warhammer 40k/fantasy
Old 09 Dec 2007, 17:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Warhammer 40k/fantasy

I'm probably not the first person to ask, but how much do the rules of 40k and fantasy differ? Would it be feasible to pit a space marine army against a beasts of chaos army?

Thanks for any answers.
What's visual basic?
What's a check box..
WHERE AM I
OH JESUS LET ME OUT!
Farsight follower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2007, 17:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to thecuriousmonke
Default Re: Warhammer 40k/fantasy

Well in fantasy, shooting means a lot less, and magic means much more. They have different statistics, characteristics, and the numbers generally don't agree.

It would be a wacky game, I doubt very fun though. So I'll say no it would not be possible keeping in the realms of er , gaminess.

You could however just proxy one army into the other system, for example, use Space marines models as those big knights, and use their rules.
May you rest in peace, Freddie Hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
I hate kids.
More normaler that you'se!
Thanks to Wargamer and JD for the sigs
thecuriousmonke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2007, 18:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

The basic stats are the same, except for the addition of Move, so they could be played with each other. The easiest would be to use Fantasy models with 40k rules, but it wouldn't be a fair game at all.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2007, 18:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

The two systems are not compatible, and if a marine army fought a beast of chaos army, the fantasy army would get slaughtered. Most of the units in fantasy wouldn't even get an armor save.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2007, 21:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hm, I tend to disagree.

If you would import WHFB stat-lines 1:1 to 40K, you`d have LOADS of units with 1+/2+ saves (Bretonnians, Empire Knights, etc).

Sad thing - the WHFB units would probably tear through most 40K armies like a hot knife through butter (apart from their lack of power weapons)!
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2007, 21:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

The OP is talking about just having a marine and a beasts of chaos army duke it out. It is not feasible, as the two rulesets are very different. If you even tried, WFB units would die horribly to 40k shooting.

If you import the 40k stat lines to WFB, a bolter would be S7, and a lasgun would be S5. In WFB, a cannonball is S10. A cannonball is not the equivilant of a railgun or demolisher shell.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2007, 02:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

IIRC the GW store nearby used to do such battles a few years ago. Even in pitched battles where the WFB armies were 10X larger then the 40k army, the 40k army slaughtered the WFB armies, at least that's what I've herd.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 03:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossBonesaw
Hm, I tend to disagree.

If you would import WHFB stat-lines 1:1 to 40K, you`d have LOADS of units with 1+/2+ saves (Bretonnians, Empire Knights, etc).

Sad thing - the WHFB units would probably tear through most 40K armies like a hot knife through butter (apart from their lack of power weapons)!

AHAHAHAHAH---no

A 40k army would be able to fight completely with a disregard for formations, blocking, march etc etc. The 40k units would be ultra maneuverable and could pretty much frustrate the fantasy army to death.

40k equipment point for point is incredibly cheap, a sword of might costs, how much, 25 points? 20 points? Now think about how much a powerfist/eviscerator costs.

One increases the strength by one, and the other doubles the strength and ignores armour saves.

Also, many 40k characters have 4+ ward saves as a standard, in fantasy this is a luxury most hero level characters cannot afford.

40k ranged weaponry are also much more devastating. With high str/low ap, high armour save units such as knights would not bother 40k units at all. Think about this, what could most fantasy armies bring to bear against a landraider?

40k units also cause much more damage in close combat, as they don't fight according to ranks but according to kill zones.

Fantasy would have domination in the magic phase however, but I doubt this offsets all the 40k advantages.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2007, 09:51   #9 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

I can't speak for the current editions of the game, but years ago we did try pitting my first company of space marines against my friends fantasy army (back in 2nd Ed). Although it has probably changed ALOT since them, the 40k army just couldnt compete if you use the rules 1:1 without changing any of the statlines. The cannon ball example someone mentioned is a great example of how the two don't really mix well.
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2007, 10:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Wait, are we using strength modifiers for armour saves?

Because if we're using strength modifiers for armour saves then many artillery heavy Fantasy army would be very powerful...

sorry forgot to mention that.

Actually, just which system of rules are we following? I just realized I didn't quite take it into account. I was thinking of essentially fantasy rules without the range/armour modifier where 40k units are concerned. And all 40k units fought as regular in close combat but the fantasy troops still had to fight in ranks. Whilst the 40k side sits through magic phase with no dispel dice twiddling their thumbs whilst dying.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote