Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Special Character Assault Question.
Old 06 Dec 2007, 14:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Special Character Assault Question.

I looked through the boards and could not find this question.

Lets assume that am independent character is attached to a squad of 5. An enemy unit moves up and shots said squad. The enemy inflicts 5 unsaved wounds on the squad. All wounds are placed on the squad of 5 leaving just the independent character.

Can the enemy squad assault the independent character?

I say no because since he is now an independent character, he is his own unit. The enemy unit fired at an unit that is no longer there, so therefor they are not allowed to assault anyone.

What does everyone else think?
JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 15:05   #2 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Special Character Assault Question.

I'd say yes, because at the time they engaged firing at him he was attatched to the squad so they counted as the same target. Hence that was the target engaged in the shooting phase, which comprised of both the squad and the character, The targetting squad would have the ability to charge both.

By the logic your applying the player recieving the hits could opt to take 2 (or 3 or whatever) wounds on the character, kill it outright and then say the remaining squad was no longer elligable to recieve an assault so long as no wounds carried over to the rest of the squad.
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 15:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Actually that is not the logic I am using. The squad is shooting a squad that the character is attached to. If I was to take all wounds on the character then the squad they shot at is still on the board.

However, in my case the squad is destroyed, and the character becomes an independent character again. He in effect becomes a new unit.

At least this is my logic, and I am looking for rules either way.
Old 06 Dec 2007, 15:16   #4 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

My point is they count as the same squad when the shooting is declared and resolved. Ergo both units have effectively been targetted in the shooting phase and even if the character reverts back to his IC status he is still elligable as he was still targeted by association with the squad that have just snuffed it.

What you've said doesn't change that.
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 17:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

I had always assumed that if you wiped out on squad with shooting you could then charge a different squad, but I can't find that in the rulebook. :-\
Old 06 Dec 2007, 18:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarday
I had always assumed that if you wiped out on squad with shooting you could then charge a different squad, but I can't find that in the rulebook. :-\
That is not the case. If you shoot a transport and blow it up you can not assault the troops in side. Even though the transport was a part of the squad.
Old 06 Dec 2007, 18:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

if you manage to shoot down a squad a character is attached too you can't assault the character, he's a separate unit for close combat. hence why you can only attach him if your in base combat, when you charge a squad with a character you are technically charging two squads, the character and unit, but as the character is with the unit they only make one break test

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 18:33   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Your opponent fired at both units (although they were acting as a single unit at the time), so your opponent can charge both units. The Independent Character does not become a new unit if the rest of a squad he has joined dies. He simply reverts back to a different set of rules. They are two units for the purposes of close-combat, but the opponent fired at both them, so they can both be charged (and in this case, the survivor of the two units can be charged).

You are actually not allowed to take all the wounds on the character, as per the Mixed Armor rules. And if your opponent had managed 6 wounding hits instead of 5, one would have gone on the character.

So yes, your opponent can still charge the IC, even if all the models but the IC are killed.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 18:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

he can only be charged if the enemy unit caused enough wounding hits to allocate one on him, thats how i see it, or if the owning player decides to take a save on him

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 19:50   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Based on what? If I fire a squad of Orks at a basic unit of Space Marines, and score no wounding hits, can I still charge? How many wounds you cause (and on which models) has nothing to do with this.

The rules state that if you fire in the Shooting Phase, you can only charge a unit that you fired at in the Assault Phase. In the initial example, you are firing at both the IC and the unit he has joined, since both are capable of taking wounds. Thus, both are eligible to be charged, even if one is destroyed by your shooting.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote