Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tank Shock / Fall Back Question
Old 06 Dec 2007, 00:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Tank Shock / Fall Back Question

Hello all. Let me begin by stating that, yes, this question is powergamey and, no, I don't care. :P I've had trouble winning with my Eldar army and a little bit of cheese might be just the thing to compensate for my tactical ineptness.

1) Can you tank shock units who are locked in combat? I see no reason why you could not. However, I might be missing something.

2) If the answer to (1) is yes, then do units who fall back from a tank shock count as falling back from combat? I am wondering if they would then be subject to the sweeping advance rules on p. 43.

3) If (not in the case of skimmers, of course) a unit were tank shocked with no "way out" of the tank shock because they began locked in combat and had a tank "tank shock" from behind, will the unit count as destroyed because of the fall back rules on p. 48?

I know similar discussions have occurred before. But I do not remember these specific questions being raised.

Thanks in advance.
Em
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 01:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Tank Shock / Fall Back Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Hello all. Let me begin by stating that, yes, this question is powergamey and, no, I don't care. :P I've had trouble winning with my Eldar army and a little bit of cheese might be just the thing to compensate for my tactical ineptness.

1) Can you tank shock units who are locked in combat? I see no reason why you could not. However, I might be missing something.

2) If the answer to (1) is yes, then do units who fall back from a tank shock count as falling back from combat? I am wondering if they would then be subject to the sweeping advance rules on p. 43.

3) If (not in the case of skimmers, of course) a unit were tank shocked with no "way out" of the tank shock because they began locked in combat and had a tank "tank shock" from behind, will the unit count as destroyed because of the fall back rules on p. 48?

I know similar discussions have occurred before. But I do not remember these specific questions being raised.

Thanks in advance.
Em
1. I Would believe that it holds the rules as shooting into combat. You could run over your guys. re-read the bit in the rules on shooting into combats. :P

2. nope. you can't do it :P

3. nope. you can't do it :P

http://www.myspace.com/everyoceanstide

Wayward_Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 03:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
I know this was in an FAQ and they said if a unit being tank shocked has no room to fall back, then the tank stops to leave room. I'm trying to remember where I found the link to the FAQ. I'll post it when I do.
Old 06 Dec 2007, 08:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward_Wanderer

1. I Would believe that it holds the rules as shooting into combat. You could run over your guys. re-read the bit in the rules on shooting into combats. :P
Except that's not what the Tank Shock rule says. It never says to treat it like shooting into combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Vimes
I know this was in an FAQ and they said if a unit being tank shocked has no room to fall back, then the tank stops to leave room. I'm trying to remember where I found the link to the FAQ. I'll post it when I do.
Sounds like a GW-esque FAQ. A link would be great, though. I checked the most recent FAQ and didn't see anything in it pertaining to these questions.
Thanks,
Em
Old 06 Dec 2007, 10:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Quote:

Except that's not what the Tank Shock rule says. It never says to treat it like shooting into combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Vimes
Sounds like a GW-esque FAQ. A link would be great, though. I checked the most recent FAQ and didn't see anything in it pertaining to these questions.
Thanks,
Em
well this is just me being an ass, because i'm assuming. :P

I assume it would be the same. Because if they can't shoot into combat where they could shoot their buddies, they why would they be allowed to drive a 300 ton tank straight into the same conflict, where they could run them down.

http://www.myspace.com/everyoceanstide

Wayward_Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 11:04   #6 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

It wouldnt really make sense. A tank has to bear down on a unit with the intent of crushing it to inflict tank shock. The idea that you could do this and not affect your own troops (selectively targetting the enamy in a melee, with a fast moving vehicle) seems absolutely retarded. So I would say that you certainly wouldnt get a crossfire or sweeping advance, as both units would have to suffer the effects of the shocking.

A good clarification might be to look up what it says about vehicles movement. Although I would argue to tank shock my troops, you would have to tank shock your own.

Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 13:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Forgetting for a second about the tank shocking into combat question.

The FAQ folks are referring to is the UK GT faq, the most recent one. Google will find it for you.

As for the falling back, the only time you are destroyed in a fallback move is if you can't move the whole distance without doubling back. However, if you fell back from combat your enemies would be eligible for a sweeping advance test.
Old 06 Dec 2007, 22:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
I assume it would be the same. Because if they can't shoot into combat where they could shoot their buddies, they why would they be allowed to drive a 300 ton tank straight into the same conflict, where they could run them down.
Understood. But the rule does say "enemy units". So it wouldn't effect friendly units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai
It wouldn't really make sense. A tank has to bear down on a unit with the intent of crushing it to inflict tank shock. The idea that you could do this and not affect your own troops (selectively targeting the enemy in a melee, with a fast moving vehicle) seems absolutely retarded. So I would say that you certainly wouldn't get a crossfire or sweeping advance, as both units would have to suffer the effects of the shocking.

A good clarification might be to look up what it says about vehicles movement. Although I would argue to tank shock my troops, you would have to tank shock your own.
No, it wouldn't make sense. But there are many things in the 40K rules that don't make sense. But Skimmers (for instance) can move over friends (and enemy) troops. So movement wouldn't apply. Likewise, if you came from behind the melee, you could catch only enemy troops for tracked vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40kenthusiast
As for the falling back, the only time you are destroyed in a fallback move is if you can't move the whole distance without doubling back. However, if you fell back from combat your enemies would be eligible for a sweeping advance test.
That's sorta what I thought. But the question is whether falling back from combat means falling back away from a combat or falling back because of combat.
Old 07 Dec 2007, 07:47   #9 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

Quote:

No, it wouldn't make sense. But there are many things in the 40K rules that don't make sense. But Skimmers (for instance) can move over friends (and enemy) troops. So movement wouldn't apply. Likewise, if you came from behind the melee, you could catch only enemy troops for tracked vehicles.
That assumes both squads form and orderly line and take turns hitting each other ala ro-sham-bo. A melee is a squirly mass of combat with everyone intermixed, no matter how the models end up representing it.
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2007, 09:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

GW guy says you can't tank shock a unit in CC.

But then again he thinks skimmers cant tank shock. o.0
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote