Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Imperial Armor Vol. 3
Old 26 Nov 2007, 04:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Imperial Armor Vol. 3

Imperial Armor Vol. 3, is this book even kinda legal? I want to take things from it but don't know if I can.

(This book pertains to both Tau and Imperials so I thought it should go here)

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2007, 04:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Imperial Armor Vol. 3

there only as legal as the player, or tournament will allow you. Apocalypse wouldnt (I should say) shouldnt hold you back from some of the varieties of infantry and vehicles it has to offer.

in other words find someone who would willingly play it, and do your research on the rules so that you could explain it clearly and concisely before the game.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2007, 04:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Yeah, it's legal with permission, usually. Probably not in a tournament setting unless said otherwise.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2007, 04:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

As above, you require your opponents permission before using them. Some tournaments don't allow the use of Forgeworld rules outright, though that depends on the tournament organisers. I guess what you need to do is ask the Tournament organisers/judges beforehand, or if you're just playing in friendly games, ask your opponent.

If you're talking about models - some of the models can be used in normal games as replacement or 'count-as' models - for example, the Forgeworld Broadside Battlesuit variants are just fine in representing normal Broadsides, it's just an arguably better model. The same goes for the Crisis Suits - the XV89 can represent a normal Crisis Suit, the XV81 as a Crisis Suit with twin-linked missile pods, and the XV84 as a Crisis Suit with a Target Lock.

Similarly, I'm sure you can just use the Elysian models and use them to represent an IG army using doctrines.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 14:21   #5 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

The XV 88-2 doesn't actually have any rules for it, so it is just an alternative broadside model. An alternative so awesome I struggle to see why anyone uses regular Broadsides or Crisis Suits...

"Ookii roboto desu. Kirei desu. Suki desu. Sore wa ikura desu ka?... sore kudasai!"
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2007, 18:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Because Forge World stuff is really, really expensive. Plus plastic is generally easier to work with than resin.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2007, 08:24   #7 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

*Warning, off topic*

If you say so...

but...

I've actually found the resin suits to be far easier to work with, especially due to the faster time in which superglue will form a solid bond. The only thing you have to watch is that they're pretty brittle (this comes up mostly when putting the ammo feed on the broadsides).

As for the cost... they're what, £7 more at most? By GW prices thats basically the price of a pathfinder shas'ui and his drone buddy. Considering the regular suits are ugly, unposable and have those goofy (and easy to break) chicken legs I think it's money well spent.

I'm not saying it isn't expensive, but ALL GW stuff is really, really expensive for what it is. IM(h)O the regular Crisis Suits are terrible in every way for all the reasons I've just listed, and so not worth the money (as models, not necessarily as playing pieces). The FW suits are beautiful, more durable, more posable and easily worth the (comparitively) marginal price increase.
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Old 28 Nov 2007, 09:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I kinda like the look of the regular suit really...well, keeping in mind of course that battlesuits in general look uglier than hell. The legs just need work is all...and they're not exactly impossible to pose, you can get a cool-looking pose with a little effort. And really, are your broadsides going to be doing a lot of running and jumping anyway?

Quote:
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Old 28 Nov 2007, 09:35   #9 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

Admittedly, no. But the Broadsides arn't really that posable (I was referring to the Crisis suits) I just love the look of the underslung railguns. The broadside is actually the most worth it for the money, given the entire thing is resin. The whole suit just looks more fluid and hi-tech (mainly due to the different body/legs from the regular suit). I'm really fond of how they don't look like modified crisis suits, they actually look like dedicated heavy support.

I just don't like the legs and head on the regular crisis suits, and I think the weapon mounts on the arms look goofy (The XV89 weapons are mounted in really nice 'gauntlet' type fittings on the end of the arms, rather than just being tacked onto the fist - plus I don't see the point in a battlesuit having hands anyway. It's a small vertical tank, why would it warrant fine manipulation?). The XV89 replaces all these faults with amazing looking parts.
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Old 28 Nov 2007, 09:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah, GW really screwed up when they designed those things. They just look terrible and don't really fit in too well with the army at all...the crisis suit concept art looked much better, they didn't look so much like boxes with chicken legs.

Quote: