Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How did you start in warhammer 40k
Old 23 Nov 2007, 07:30   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Aussie_matu
Default How did you start in warhammer 40k

How did you start in warhammer 40k, be it the game like me or dawn of war or did you pass the games workshop and see what was going on in there, please drop in i wanna know how my fellow *nerds and geeks* got into this cool hobby.
Aussie_matu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2007, 07:40   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Kain94
Default Re: How did you start in warhammer 40k

Well, Ozzi matchu, I was walking around Northlands oneday, then Games Workshop caught my eye, whether it was the clash of a space marines fist with a 'zerkers chainsword, or the Tau's mighty blast of the pusle rifle, I walked in, had a look around, and before I knew it, the subtle, yet powerful taint of chaos was slowly leering me into the black depths of the warp.

http://40kaustralia.14.forumer.com/index.php

"Those who think that they are immune to the subtle ways of Chaos, are ignorant, and with ignorance, eventually comes heresy"

-Kain The Dark Priest

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
Kain94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2007, 07:46   #3 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

My dad took me into the shop because his friend Doc worked there. While they were chatting Doc lent me some models to join in the game they had going on (big on, with an ork stompa ) I killed the stompa in turn two and saw someone with swooping hawks. I loved the models so my dad bought me the game with a 'friend discount'. I got some friends into it over the next few years and we formed into a gaming/rp group. We still play now (15 years later) when we get the chance to meet up.
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2007, 08:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Brass Claw

I remember the first time I bought 40K models, I was actual came in to buy D&D books in this hobby store in another town. My brother found out about 40K through a friend just a week prier to us coming to this store. I remember I skip out on the D&D book to buy the starter set, which at the time had space marines and Dark eldar(If anyone remember that set). My bro took the marines and I had the dark eldar. Another week later, a store opened that sold warhammer and warhammer 40K. Lucky me I guess. That was 8 years ago

I would sell my dark eldar a year after that fateful day, and my brother still has his marines. Both of the stores have close down
Old 23 Nov 2007, 08:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

I think one of my friends got second ed in its last year, but he never truly got into it. Then another friend with an older brother (probably his influence) also got second ed. I got 3rd ed when it came out (the space marine and DE box, Brass Claw =P) and I just bothered to follow it through =D

That said, I have been through periods of time where I've done absolutely nothing GW connected for months or even years (well, two years maybe) at a time. But now I'm back in with a vengeance - mainly because I have the cash and the time to support it!
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2007, 09:08   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

I had always seen the models and thought they would be cool to buy, just to build with no idea of the game.

Then I found out a couple of my mates played it, and so I got my first boxes at Christmas - a DE warrior, Wych and Syberite model. Back then, we still played using a mix of second and third things, as no one yet had the third rule book.

I also got the free mags from a GW, and they got me really tempted

Of course, this was back in the days of £12 Rhino's, and £15 for ten marines, and £8(!) codex etc, and we still moaned about the prices. :

Plus when WD was £3.00 and worth reading :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2007, 09:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

my mates spent about 5 years trying to get me into 40k and all i said was "it looks ****, its for geeks" etc.

then, however, i saw the new tyranid codex and fell in love with the models. after a little subtle persuasion from a mate (who does often play tzeench ) i went down to the local GW and went looking for tyranids. THEN - i saw a box of grey knights. within seconds i had bought the codex and 2 boxes of grey knights plus a box of GK terminators.

i lost pretty much every game for about 5/6 months but i loved the models so i kept going - i then started beating my buddies (and proving to them that daemonhunters can work).

since then i have bought a total of 9 40k armies and 2 fantasy armies (one is a WIP)

i do kind of wish that i had started with a more forgiving army though :
Old 23 Nov 2007, 09:36   #8 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
Of course, this was back in the days of £12 Rhino's, and £15 for ten marines, and £8(!) codex etc, and we still moaned about the prices. :

Plus when WD was £3.00 and worth reading :
That's because that was still after the second price hike. It used to be £10 for a box of marines right after the released 3rd Ed (so these are the same plastic marines still out), then £12, then £15.

Back in 2nd Ed you could buy 30 Marines in MK 6 armour for £12
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2007, 10:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

How could I forget? This year in march I saw a few of my friends looking at a forge world catalogue. I looked at it with them and then we started looking at the GW site. I knew that Tau was the army for me as soon as I saw their models* ;D I got the battleforce in the summer and I'm still painting them* :P
I also knew that I would one day definitely get Deamonhunters, but Stef put me off getting them first by telling me you needed to be a pro to play well with them
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2007, 10:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, a couple of years ago, when I was about 11-12, I spotted a Games-Workshop in a shopping centre. My brother was with me, so we both went in, nice welcome from the GW boys. Looked around. I think we didn't buy anything since or pocket money was like... £2.50 then :shifty:

DoW came out years after, bought it and endulged in 40k ever since, read loads of 40k books, bought DoW: WA & DC when they came out.

And my love for the hobby has been growing ever since.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote