Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Should GW advertise?
Old 21 Nov 2007, 20:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Should GW advertise?

I got in to 40k completly by accident, I was serching for minis for D&D, I liked the models so I picked up a few dwarves from the fanrasy range. Soon after I got how to paint the citidel way and discovered 40k. Bought some 40k models and years later I'm still playing. I stopped playing D&D BTW. If it wern't for that I doubt that I would have ever heard of 40k. Which brings me to ask you two questions;

1. How did you get into this game? Was it the demo game a redshirt ran for ya, word of mouth or chance?

2. Should GW consider advertising?

It seems to me GW's advertising strategies are publishing white drawf, foot traffic from their retial stores, game cons and indipendant retailers, and their website. Anyone else feels that this is not agressive enough? GW shops and authorized retialers have small markets, that become saturated. White dwarf is read by poeple who already buy the product same with the website. So how do you get new blood?? It would benifit us if GW's sales were to increase, becuase then it would stave off price hikes...which seem to be their goto plan when it come to making up for profit loss. New releases such as new models, codices, rules, ect..is their other strategy they use which is a short term fix.

Advertisng reaches new potential customers, for example with LOTR, there is a huge fan base, at my work I know several LOTR fans who had no ideal there was game for it until I told them. I've seen adverts for games like Heroscape, which appears to be working. I know its a niche market, but when GW takes a hit so do we.

Maybe I am truely bored at my job it being the wednesday before a holiday and there is nothing to do but read the TO forums on your cell phone, but what do you guys think?

[img width=650 height=169]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1077/ordounlimitedsigcopybcopylc7.jpg[/img]
arcadiabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2007, 20:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox
Default Re: Should GW advertise?

yeah but how do you advertise something like 40k on tv for example?

when they produce the games-firewarrior, DoW etc, there's always a page in back with models on, and in magazines with the reviews sometimes

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2007, 20:26   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

If they do it would likely be limited to web banners and the like

Although excellent games the Dawn of War series is all some people know about 40k, without even realiseing that our hobby exists.

Its really more of a nice market, the relatively small portion of people who have the funds and the time to enjoy it.

With all i've spent on this hobby, i really wish I had more time, on that note.

So yeah, banner ads on websites, as its not a big enough market for tv, or even radio (outside of grand opening of a new store)
thats my 2 cents (which are Canadian, so therefor worth slightly more than that XD)

I Lost.
C4nnonfodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2007, 20:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I kinda prefer their current form of advertising. Anyone who walks into the right store can learn about it, or looks in the right places, but it's not an in-your-face thing. I like it's popularity yet how it keeps a low-key in the broad scheme of things. It has it's spurts into the mainstream (Dawn of War), which draw in some new followers, but don't over-do it.

Things like Heroscape are only similar to 40k in size. Painting, building, playing, and most of all, price, are all vastly different. Sometimes I do think of a 'what if' scenario with GW being more popular, with models in many retailers, but I believe that would end up with a boring, stupid, and maintstream hobby, and GW may lose the care they put into their products in order to mass-produce them. Some of you hate them now, but I'm sure it can be much worse...
[hr]
I got into the hobby by way of Star Wars Insider. Yeah, I love Star Wars and used to be a subscriber, until there was nothing left to talk about and it became 'Star Wars Pamphlet'. There was an ad for 'The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Tabletop Miniatures Wargame.' I noticed it, naively thought it was some board game, and forgot about it. A year or two later I'm flipping through the same magazine looking for a specific article. I saw the ad again, and this time checked the website.

From there I purchased the Two Towers starter set (the one with the 20 Uruks, 12 Riders of Rohan, and no starter book, but rather the full rule book) and over the course of a year got a couple boxes of troops and blisters.

I stuck to the LoTR section of the GW website almost exclusively, with little more than glances to the other game systems. And then one day I decided to look at a couple 40k models on the website. And a couple more. And more. And it all went downhill from there.

I never player LoTR anymore. It just doesn't compare. ;D
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2007, 21:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
I kinda prefer their current form of advertising. Anyone who walks into the right store can learn about it, or looks in the right places, but it's not an in-your-face thing. I like it's popularity yet how it keeps a low-key in the broad scheme of things. It has it's spurts into the mainstream (Dawn of War), which draw in some new followers, but don't over-do it.

Things like Heroscape are only similar to 40k in size. Painting, building, playing, and most of all, price, are all vastly different. Sometimes I do think of a 'what if' scenario with GW being more popular, with models in many retailers, but I believe that would end up with a boring, stupid, and maintstream hobby, and GW may lose the care they put into their products in order to mass-produce them. Some of you hate them now, but I'm sure it can be much worse...
[hr]
I understand you wanting to perseve 40k undergtound status. What happens to a hobbystore who's market becomes saturated? Sales plummit then...they close their doors. I've seen it happen in my area, where I'm from there used to be 5 stores within a 20 mile raduis. Now of those 5 stores in 19 years only one has survived. Also during that time 4 stores have set up shop then have closed up as well. The store that survived lasted becuase of goodwill. it open later for gamers and offers gift certificates and such.
There has to be some balance to appealing to wider markets and dumbing down the game. I use the example of heroescape becuase thought its is diffrent from 40k I considered it in the same genre.

[img width=650 height=169]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1077/ordounlimitedsigcopybcopylc7.jpg[/img]
Old 21 Nov 2007, 21:36   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
but when GW takes a hit so do we.
A failed advertising campaign would be a hit. Apart from the current strategy which is not perfect, how do you go about a cost effective advertising campaign to a niche target audience outside of the current modal? It is very difficult to sell GW products through popular media.

The current advertising method is expensive enough with store overheads, the game market seems an obvious target which so far all in all has been effective I thought for GW.

GW advertising is effective enough and cost efficient at the moment according to GW itself, or at least thats what they tell the share holders.

Sith Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2007, 23:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Quote:
but when GW takes a hit so do we.
A failed advertising campaign would be a hit. Apart from the current strategy which is not perfect, how do you go about a cost effective advertising campaign to a niche target audience outside of the current modal? It is very difficult to sell GW products through popular media.

The current advertising method is expensive enough with store overheads, the game market seems an obvious target which so far all in all has been effective I thought for GW.

GW advertising is effective enough and cost efficient at the moment according to GW itself, or at least thats what they tell the share holders.

I been told the exact opposiste. And it makes sense with the price hikes happening that their not doing so good, so I'm not convinced that staying with the status quo is working. Though I admit advertising is a big risk, it seems to me anyway that a change must be implimented.

Old 22 Nov 2007, 00:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

I believe that they were doing pretty well with the "Battle Brothers" thing they did a while back: "Get a friend into the hobby, and both of you get an $**.** voucher towards anything in the store!" Whenever you got a new player to buy a starter game (BFMcC, BFSP, or the LoTR starter), it gave an incentive for both players to go find more. Viral marketing at it's best.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2007, 01:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah that was good, but $5 doesn't get you anything in this hobby, except maybe a bottle of paint? :P
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2007, 01:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've played Space Crusade back in 1980's, few years later I've read about Space Hulk and realised that it's the same world, and some complete and large one, too. I've played Warhammer RPG since 1995 so I learned lots of stuff from there. When I've bought Final Liberation in late 90's, I've already knew what WH40K world is, having caught scraps of info from various sources. Later I've learned that's a miniature game, but that was of secondary relevance (I've never suspected I'll colect minis, I must add).
To sum it up, I think advertising is good enough for people like me, who sit deeply in RPG's and computer entertainment. Especially since GW is present on both markets more than ever. Going bigger, I think, wouldn't do too much good, because playing miniature games is appealing only to a small fraction of population.
Max Smirnov is offline   Reply With Quote